• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens also knew how to help their star players be comfortable. Sid lived with Mario. Make fun of that all you want, but that helped. Malkin had Gonchar to be his Russian confidant. I'm not close enough to the situation in EDM to really judge it, but are they doing things like that with their youth? I know Yak has already been written off. He needs guy to mentor him, IMO. And probably a Russian. The Pens also were able to build around their stars. The Cup win wasn't all Sid/Geno. I mean, it was a lot of Geno, but it was having a good goalie, and an insulating defense. Neither exists in Edmonton.

I think this is a factor. Tavares lived with Doug Weight his rookie year. Cam Fowler lived with Scott Niedermayer. We forget that these guys are 18 to 20 years old. Sure they've lived away from home before, but the NHL is a different animal.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a factor. Tavares lived with Doug Weight his rookie year. Cam Fowler lived with Scott Niedermayer. We forget that these guys are 18 to 20 years old. Sure they've lived away from home before, but the NHL is a different animal.

Even Mario talked about how he lived with a family in town his rookie year...and how big that was. It's like leaving for college, except you have a lot of money, and a bit less on the responsibility side of things. Most 18-20 year olds with millions won't make great decisions...put 'em with settled guys, it helps. Helps keep them focused at the very least.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The expansion Sens ended up with 3 1st overall picks. Those ended up being Daigle, Phillips and Berard. The only one of those that wasn't consensus was Phillips and he's turned into the best of the 3.

So while the Coil may not have gotten the Crosby, Malkin types, they certainly got a better deal out of it than the Sens, who managed to build that team into a contender for a dozen years despite having the high picks in weak draft classes.

As others have pointed out, good management teams find good players in later rounds. The Oilers haven't managed that yet.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The expansion Sens ended up with 3 1st overall picks. Those ended up being Daigle, Phillips and Berard. The only one of those that wasn't consensus was Phillips and he's turned into the best of the 3.

So while the Coil may not have gotten the Crosby, Malkin types, they certainly got a better deal out of it than the Sens, who managed to build that team into a contender for a dozen years despite having the high picks in weak draft classes.

As others have pointed out, good management teams find good players in later rounds. The Oilers haven't managed that yet.

You forgot to mention they got Spezza who went 2nd overall & Chara for Crapshin. That deal was the building block for their Stanley Cup team. Berard was dealt for Redden as well. The Sens didn't do bad at all. The only pick that was a bust was Daigle.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot to mention they got Spezza who went 2nd overall & Chara for Crapshin. That deal was the building block for their Stanley Cup team. Berard was dealt for Redden as well. The Sens didn't do bad at all. The only pick that was a bust was Daigle.

That deal certainly helped. :10:

But the team was in a very good place even before that trade. They won the president's trophy in 2002-03 when Chara was just starting to be an impact player and Spezza was mostly in the minors.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we get Dr. Randy Gregg to join the Oilers medical staff?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we get Dr. Randy Gregg to join the Oilers medical staff?

Does he do heart transplants? In that case he might be just the man for the job!!

:dhd: :bolt:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What other Oilers players should they add to the management team?

Dave Lumley?
Willy Lindstrom?
Jaroslav Pouzar?

/We need moar Oilers!

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That deal certainly helped. :10:

But the team was in a very good place even before that trade. They won the president's trophy in 2002-03 when Chara was just starting to be an impact player and Spezza was mostly in the minors.

What was the reasoning from the team as to why they chose to sign Redden instead of Chara? I've never understood why they let Chara walk.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the reasoning from the team as to why they chose to sign Redden instead of Chara? I've never understood why they let Chara walk.

At that time, it seemed like it wasn't the worst decision in the world, but the Bruins must have offered a lot more money and I guess if you're Big Z, you take the money

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What other Oilers players should they add to the management team?

Dave Lumley?
Willy Lindstrom?
Jaroslav Pouzar?

/We need moar Oilers!

Jason Smith

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Petr Klima is a must, but lets be honest Gretzky should be involved in the game in some way.

Friggin Klima, he sat on the bench for 2 1/2 hours, then Muckler puts him out there for a shift in the 3rd or 4th OT period and he pots the winner against the Bruins.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is Kevin Lowe is lousy at drafting players. His staff seems to be clueless. I mean they had three 1st round picks in 2007 & only one, Sam Gagner is on the team. Their 2nd & 3rd round picks in recent years have or had promise, but haven't performed up to expectations. The revolving door of head coaches hasn't helped matters either.

A thousand times, this.

Edmonton Oilers Draft History at hockeydb.com

For 2001 (His first draft in charge) to 2012, he's taken 2, yes two, D in the first round. Oscak Klefborn, and Alex Plante. He has firepower like crazy, he lucks into first overall in 2012 AGAIN when a near consensus #1 overall D man is available and he again takes a forward.

It gets even worse when you look at some of the guys he's taken with the talent on the board. Seriously, when Doug MacLean can laugh at your picks... You are not good at the draft table.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thousand times, this.

For 2001 (His first draft in charge) to 2012, he's taken 2, yes two, D in the first round. Oscak Klefborn, and Alex Plante. He has firepower like crazy, he lucks into first overall in 2012 AGAIN when a near consensus #1 overall D man is available and he again takes a forward.

It gets even worse when you look at some of the guys he's taken with the talent on the board. Seriously, when Doug MacLean can laugh at your picks... You are not good at the draft table.

Many seem to think the 3rd Defenseman Lowe took in the 1st round Darnell Nurse 2013 will be a good player. Time will tell if the Oilers can develop him into the player many believe he can be. I'm really not sure. Marincin was supposed to be good. So was Musil. They still have time though.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thousand times, this.

As a Canuck fan, I will cast no stones when it comes to drafting... of course, a number 1 pick would be nice every once in a while.

Vancouver Canucks Draft History at hockeydb.com

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Basically John Muckler is an old fart is the reason. He was clueless. He:

1) Liked a good western boy like Wade. It didn't matter that Redden was soft as melted butter at that point. He was still Canadian goddam it.

2) Saw that Chara had just been schooled by the speedy Sabres forwards in the playoffs. He really didn't look good that postseason. Turns out he was injured. Muckler didn't think he'd be able to keep up in the "new NHL". He liked Redden's mobility more. :L

Basically Muckler was a dumbass. Many Sens fans could see the decline in Redden. Muckler just ignored it.