• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oilers disappointed with another poor season

I love the addition at the bottom of the article:

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version erroneously reported that the Oilers last made the post-season in 1996.

It just feels like 20 years.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When this happens, all McDonald's in Edmonton will be renamed McDavid's.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't they know you need to play 164 career games before becoming captain? Yarrrgh!

It's just weird in the context of...well, everything about the Oilers. Of course, the Avs did this too. And it sorta created problems. When Sid was named he was young, but in context it made some sense. Mario retires again, go a year with just As, then Sid. Avs did it and RO'R seemed to have some issues with it. Oilers? They signed Ference the hometown boy, immediately bestowed the C on him, took it away, had no captain, and now give it to a 19 year old. It was weird when they did it on the Pens, but ultimately that roster didn't really have a ton of guys that would fit the mold. Honestly I think Ryan Malone was possibly the only one that made sense? Gonchar I suppose, although he had been on the team just as long as Sid. I critique the Oilers here because there's a handful of young guys that have been around longer and played solid hockey (Hall, mostly) being passed over. I'm sure they have a good bead on the room (lol...Oilers), but could cause some strife with this.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just weird in the context of...well, everything about the Oilers. Of course, the Avs did this too. And it sorta created problems. When Sid was named he was young, but in context it made some sense. Mario retires again, go a year with just As, then Sid. Avs did it and RO'R seemed to have some issues with it. Oilers? They signed Ference the hometown boy, immediately bestowed the C on him, took it away, had no captain, and now give it to a 19 year old. It was weird when they did it on the Pens, but ultimately that roster didn't really have a ton of guys that would fit the mold. Honestly I think Ryan Malone was possibly the only one that made sense? Gonchar I suppose, although he had been on the team just as long as Sid. I critique the Oilers here because there's a handful of young guys that have been around longer and played solid hockey (Hall, mostly) being passed over. I'm sure they have a good bead on the room (lol...Oilers), but could cause some strife with this.
You're right in that it's soon and maybe they could wait a little longer, but at the same time we all know it's coming, he's already their best player and one of the league's best frankly, and I think we're all at the point now where we've realized that stitching a letter on a player's sweater isn't going to make or break your team.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right in that it's soon and maybe they could wait a little longer, but at the same time we all know it's coming, he's already their best player and one of the league's best frankly, and I think we're all at the point now where we've realized that stitching a letter on a player's sweater isn't going to make or break your team.

They should add the letters 'INRI' in addition to the 'C'.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just realized how I am going to make my fortune, I just need the name of next years' projected #1 overall, some blue and white fabric and a sewing machine.
Make a fortune by selling knockoffs? What do you think, the Oilers have a bunch of second tier fans who won't know the difference?