• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If/When the Oilers win the draft lottery, do they trade the 1st overall pick to try to acquire a stud defenseman?
If they could move Hall for one and then some, that would be my move.

The way they should be looking at their core right now (in that case) is McDavid, Matthews and Draisaitl. Everything else would be moveable for me. Kinda looking at it like the Leafs - sure, they could've kept Kessel and Phaneuf and still rebuilt and made it work but sometimes you just really need to cut ties with an era that produced nothing but a stinking stench of failure.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, in my opinion, the only guys I would keep on the current Oilers roster is McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nurse (I would keep Talbot as well because I think he's a pretty good goalie). Hall gets his points, but he's got the hockey IQ of a tree stump. RNH is softer than warm butter and Eberle is softer than RNH. If you can get a bag of hockey pucks for Yakupov at this point, you're doing well.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can get a bag of hockey pucks for Yakupov at this point, you're doing well.
That 2012 draft is really starting to look like a giant dud. Especially that top 5 (yes, even Rielly - guy is good on offence but it doesn't look like he's learned a single thing about playing D since entering the league).

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If/When the Oilers win the draft lottery, do they trade the 1st overall pick to try to acquire a stud defenseman?

I'd say yes. They should go for Karlsson, OEL, Doughty or Aaron Ekblad.

Of course those teams will have to add, but you get my drift.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 2012 draft is really starting to look like a giant dud. Especially that top 5 (yes, even Rielly - guy is good on offence but it doesn't look like he's learned a single thing about playing D since entering the league).

I still really like what Rielly projects as. And I still hold out hope for Murray and Galchenyuk to be top pairing/top line players.

I've given up on Yak and Reinhart pretty much. Imagine having either one of those players on your team. To have invested so much into just one player and see them bust must suck. :hockeysmile:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rumo(u)rs were that the Oilers wanted to take Ryan Murray, but Daryl Katz stepped in and told MacT to take Yakupov. I know Murray has had injury issues, but you could have tried to trade down and still might have gotten Rielly, Lindholm (Hampas), Dumba, or Trouba in that draft. Oh well.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumo(u)rs were that the Oilers wanted to take Ryan Murray, but Daryl Katz stepped in and told MacT to take Yakupov. I know Murray has had injury issues, but you could have tried to trade down and still might have gotten Rielly, Lindholm (Hampas), Dumba, or Trouba in that draft. Oh well.

Some solid D-men in that group. I'd rank the D from that draft as follows.

1. Trouba
2. Lindholm
3. Rielly
4. Maatta
5. Ceci
6. Dumba
7. Pouliot

Any one of those would like pretty good for the Oil right now. They'd be getting into the start of their prime just when McD is finishing up his ELC.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oilers look like a real NHL team tonight. All it took was scratching that anchor Schultz.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oilers look like a real NHL team tonight. All it took was scratching that anchor Schultz.

No Schultz and a goal from Kassian - No stopping this Oilers juggernaut now.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs win, Oilers lose and again have sole possession of 30th overall.
Leafs also have 3 games in hand.

For a team in a playoff race, Carolina may have played the worst hockey I've seen all year. They spent a good quarter of the game trying to retaliate on Kadri for a good hit on Nestrasil that Nestrasil ended up landing awkwardly against the boards off of, which, okay code or whatever but maybe focus on getting a goal or two?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs win, Oilers lose and again have sole possession of 30th overall.

OK, I am so goshdarned sick of the Oilers now. More #1 picks then anyone should be allowed to have, yet they are still a complete cluster. With those picks, that roster, it is f-ing insane that they are last in the League.

Forget PHX, NYI, CBJ or any other team we want to crap on. I want the Oilers disbanded. They are a farce and a travesty. Top to bottom. Just blow that shyte up and be done with it.

I am so sick of the Oilers.

/rant over
/725 am and I need a drink

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I am so goshdarned sick of the Oilers now. More #1 picks then anyone should be allowed to have, yet they are still a complete cluster. With those picks, that roster, it is f-ing insane that they are last in the League.

Forget PHX, NYI, CBJ or any other team we want to crap on. I want the Oilers disbanded. They are a farce and a travesty. Top to bottom. Just blow that shyte up and be done with it.

I am so sick of the Oilers.

/rant over
/725 am and I need a drink

Sad face.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably one of the few still out there who thinks Yakupov still could be a pretty good NHLer, a 20 goal/60 point kind of player, but I also think nobody in their right mind is going to give the Oilers anything more than a couple 2nd round picks for him. And I think that is a really good deal for Edmonton given the circumstances.

Yes, a guy 4 years removed from being selected first overall in the draft has a trade value equivalent to Roman Polak.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably one of the few still out there who thinks Yakupov still could be a pretty good NHLer, a 20 goal/60 point kind of player, but I also think nobody in their right mind is going to give the Oilers anything more than a couple 2nd round picks for him. And I think that is a really good deal for Edmonton given the circumstances.

Yes, a guy 4 years removed from being selected first overall in the draft has a trade value equivalent to Roman Polak.

The problem is no one is being realistic about him. It's all "former first overall" pick in the same way David Clarkson is a "20 goal scorer" and Tortorella is a "Cup winner". When you look at the nuts and bolts of what he does day in and day out? Yeah... no.

I think Yak could be a solid third line / 2nd power play unit guy for a long time. He just needs someone who can baby sit him defensively. For two second rounders? I'd probably give him a shot. Playing with Karlsson and Rychel? Yeah. I'd try that.

But the only roster player I'd give up for him is Clarkson or Boll. He just hasn't proven he's definitely worth it.

And I reserve the right to be a little smug after all my Murray / Yak comparison jokes took so much heat for so long. :D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is no one is being realistic about him. It's all "former first overall" pick in the same way David Clarkson is a "20 goal scorer" and Tortorella is a "Cup winner". When you look at the nuts and bolts of what he does day in and day out? Yeah... no.

I think Yak could be a solid third line / 2nd power play unit guy for a long time. He just needs someone who can baby sit him defensively. For two second rounders? I'd probably give him a shot. Playing with Karlsson and Rychel? Yeah. I'd try that.

But the only roster player I'd give up for him is Clarkson or Boll. He just hasn't proven he's definitely worth it.

And I reserve the right to be a little smug after all my Murray / Yak comparison jokes took so much heat for so long. :D
Who gave you heat for them?

Personally never really saw that draft in the mold of 2010 or last year's or this year's, where there was a consensus 1 or 2 guys at the top of the heap. When Burke said he would've taken Rielly even if the Leafs had the top pick I half-believed him. And when you get down to it it looks like the best player went either 6th or 11th so...

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gave you heat for them?

Personally never really saw that draft in the mold of 2010 or last year's or this year's, where there was a consensus 1 or 2 guys at the top of the heap. When Burke said he would've taken Rielly even if the Leafs had the top pick I half-believed him. And when you get down to it it looks like the best player went either 6th or 11th so...

Every time I mentioned it (not here as much) I was countered with the video of Jackets fans reacting to the lottery loss, and detailed charts of Murray's injury woes.

The reason Jackets fans were upset (at least me, and all the ones I know) was we thought we'd be stuck with a flaky russian winger when we needed a skating defenseman with a good attitude. We thought we were getting stuck with Yak. Then Edmonton fumbled the snap. They needed D more than us and we really expected they'd snatch Murray up.

And as the years went on, every time Katz, Lowe, Etc whines about not having D prospects, I just laugh.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I mentioned it (not here as much) I was countered with the video of Jackets fans reacting to the lottery loss, and detailed charts of Murray's injury woes.

The reason Jackets fans were upset (at least me, and all the ones I know) was we thought we'd be stuck with a flaky russian winger when we needed a skating defenseman with a good attitude. We thought we were getting stuck with Yak. Then Edmonton fumbled the snap. They needed D more than us and we really expected they'd snatch Murray up.

And as the years went on, every time Katz, Lowe, Etc whines about not having D prospects, I just laugh.
I mean, I think Columbus would've taken Yakupov regardless - hindsight and everything but most mock drafts had him as the best player in the draft. We'll obviously never know but if you were happy with the pick who cares?

It's like in 2013 when people were convinced for months that the Avs would win the lottery then draft Jones. Not only did that not happen but Jones slid big time.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one of the "experts" was in the cesspool yesterday talking about Taylor Halls "aura of entitlement" ... didnt catch who it was ... mentioned there were so many stories he'd heard about Hall that show he isnt a team guy ??? :noidea: ... anyone heard or read anything about this?

made it sound like he is out the door monday ... what would he fetch?