• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy BRONZE out of Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know correlation does not imply causation, but last night was probably one of the worst games that Tanev has played in quite some time.

he was slipping and falling all over the ice ... lack said he was stepping on money that was falling out of his pants :10:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
remember this?
CA6fYJVWkAApDiD.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, I still like the signing by Benning, I'd take Tanev on the Flames any day.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
remember when there were concerns about Bo Horvats skating?

yAV83O.gif

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 out of 8 points to Sabres, Coyotes, Devils, Avs... Yeah that's going to be remembered

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked like we were playing the Kings during the first 40 minutes.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that he’s got one, it’s up to Baertschi to show that being removed from a toxic situation in the Calgary Flames organization will allow him to fulfil the promise he had as a 13th-overall draft pick out of the WHL’s Portland Winterhawks in 2011.

What the hell kind of bs is this toxic situation crap, Sven simply got bypassed by several players in the Flames organization due to injuries and other guys simply playing better than he did. He got plenty of opportunities to stick with the Flames and simply didn't deliver and when he told the Flames he wasn't going to re-sign with them, Calgary did the wise thing and obtained a 2nd round draft pick in a deep draft. That all said, I still hope Sven can have a solid NHL career and good to see he's playing well in Utica.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that he’s got one, it’s up to Baertschi to show that being removed from a toxic situation in the Calgary Flames organization will allow him to fulfil the promise he had as a 13th-overall draft pick out of the WHL’s Portland Winterhawks in 2011.

What the hell kind of bs is this toxic situation crap, Sven simply got bypassed by several players in the Flames organization due to injuries and other guys simply playing better than he did. He got plenty of opportunities to stick with the Flames and simply didn't deliver and when he told the Flames he wasn't going to re-sign with them, Calgary did the wise thing and obtained a 2nd round draft pick in a deep draft. That all said, I still hope Sven can have a solid NHL career and good to see he's playing well in Utica.

really?

In September 2013, just a couple of weeks after he’d been hired as the Flames’ new president of hockey operations, Brian Burke ripped the young prospect, delivering an obvious challenge:

“He’s got to learn there’s three zones on the ice surface in this league. I don’t see that he’s learned to play or compete in two of them.”

And: “I see big holes and a lack of commitment that’s not going to get him anywhere in my books.”

i guess one persons truculence is another persons toxicity ??? :noidea:

and sure ... i have no problem challenging a player to get better ... how about doing it privately though?

but that blowhard Brian Burke couldnt just shut his yap for once ... err ... again

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really?

In September 2013, just a couple of weeks after he’d been hired as the Flames’ new president of hockey operations, Brian Burke ripped the young prospect, delivering an obvious challenge:

“He’s got to learn there’s three zones on the ice surface in this league. I don’t see that he’s learned to play or compete in two of them.”

And: “I see big holes and a lack of commitment that’s not going to get him anywhere in my books.”

i guess one persons truculence is another persons toxicity ??? :noidea:

and sure ... i have no problem challenging a player to get better ... how about doing it privately though?

but that blowhard Brian Burke couldnt just shut his yap for once ... err ... again

Fast forward to just over a year later (November 2014 from Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts):

12. As the injuries mounted last week, Calgary called up Sven Baertschi from Adirondack. His numbers were ugly in the AHL, just three points (no goals) in 10 games. Even worse, a few teams that saw him were exceedingly unimpressed, with one suggesting he wouldn’t want Baertschi near his other prospects. The Flames defended the forward against accusations that his attitude was bad. “Was he unhappy to be there? Yes, initially he was, but we could understand that,” said GM Brad Treliving. “To say he was causing problems, that’s not fair.” Treliving added that there is room in Calgary for Baertschi’s skill-set. He is exempt from waivers for another year or so. That’s probably the real deadline for him in southern Alberta.

30 Thoughts: It's not going to be easy for Nolan - Sportsnet.ca

Also, is it the Flames fault that Sven kicked up a stink when he bitched about having to go to the Prospects tourney in Penticton? I guess its the Flames fault that several other players passed Sven on the depth chart as well. As I said, I have nothing against Sven, but he does have holes in his game and also needs to get stronger (think Linden Vey 2.0). If it works out with Vancouver, great, but once he stated he wasn't going to re-sign with Calgary, Treliving needed to move him.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fast forward to just over a year later (November 2014 from Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts):

12. As the injuries mounted last week, Calgary called up Sven Baertschi from Adirondack. His numbers were ugly in the AHL, just three points (no goals) in 10 games. Even worse, a few teams that saw him were exceedingly unimpressed, with one suggesting he wouldn’t want Baertschi near his other prospects. The Flames defended the forward against accusations that his attitude was bad. “Was he unhappy to be there? Yes, initially he was, but we could understand that,” said GM Brad Treliving. “To say he was causing problems, that’s not fair.” Treliving added that there is room in Calgary for Baertschi’s skill-set. He is exempt from waivers for another year or so. That’s probably the real deadline for him in southern Alberta.

30 Thoughts: It's not going to be easy for Nolan - Sportsnet.ca

Also, is it the Flames fault that Sven kicked up a stink when he bitched about having to go to the Prospects tourney in Penticton? I guess its the Flames fault that several other players passed Sven on the depth chart as well. As I said, I have nothing against Sven, but he does have holes in his game and also needs to get stronger (think Linden Vey 2.0). If it works out with Vancouver, great, but once he stated he wasn't going to re-sign with Calgary, Treliving needed to move him.

did he bitch about that publically? or did the Flames float that out there? ... i dont know how anyone cant say it WASN'T a toxic relationship ... if you want to only blame one side go for it :noidea:

whole situation reminds me how the leafs initially handled Kadri ... whats the common denominator here?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said I'm blaming only one side? They tried the tough love approach (and maybe that was a mistake) and then they tried to shelter him and that didn't get the desired results either. It didn't help matters that he get derailed by injuries (including a couple of concussions), but the team gave him 66 NHL games before he went to management and said he wouldn't re-sign with the Flames. If Jamieson thinks the Flames have a toxic environment with young players, why did college free agent Kenney Morrison sign on with the Flames a couple of weeks ago with the understanding that he would be spending time in the AHL?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said I'm blaming only one side? They tried the tough love approach (and maybe that was a mistake) and then they tried to shelter him and that didn't get the desired results either. It didn't help matters that he get derailed by injuries (including a couple of concussions), but the team gave him 66 NHL games before he went to management and said he wouldn't re-sign with the Flames. If Jamieson thinks the Flames have a toxic environment with young players, why did college free agent Kenney Morrison sign on with the Flames a couple of weeks ago with the understanding that he would be spending time in the AHL?

well you question whether it was a toxic situation and then you go on to list everything Sven did wrong ... ive seen it said a number of times that a crisis of confidence contributed to his poor development

and where did Jamieson intimate that flames have a toxic environment with young players ? it was just this one player ... and if you want to chalk it up to THAT one player, go for it ... but I didnt see Burkie burying any other young prospect publically

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, that's enough time and bandwidth spent discussing Sven Baertschi. I just thought it was a very one-sided article and as is usually the case, it's never just one side that is totally to blame. It read to me that Jamieson was blaming the Flames (and likely Burkie specifically) for Sven's lack of development and I just don't buy what he's trying to sell.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, that's enough time and bandwidth spent discussing Sven Baertschi. I just thought it was a very one-sided article and as is usually the case, it's never just one side that is totally to blame. It read to me that Jamieson was blaming the Flames (and likely Burkie specifically) for Sven's lack of development and I just don't buy what he's trying to sell.

you posted enough articles from the flames media perspective that did a good job showing the other biased angle :thumb: lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm....Didn't realize Elliotte Friedman was a accredited Flames media member. Oh that's right, he isn't.

:wtf:

when the trade happened...

A snippet of a post I shamlessly stole from CalgaryPuck, but I think it's a very good post regarding Sven:

As for everyone freaking out over this trade, I wouldn't be too worried.

2 seasons of below-expectations starts becoming a trend. Other prospects have certainly been developing and exceeding expectations. I don't think there is much - if anything - wrong with the development system.

One thing that sticks out to me especially now, is Baertschi's attitude. Ok, so nothing has ever been confirmed. We heard rumors about the Penticton tournament, and how Baertschi felt he shouldn't have gone. That is one strike. Then when he got sent down at the start of the season - even though he was without a doubt out-played by a number of other prospects who got sent down ahead of Baertschi (i.e. Ferland) - there was that statement his dad made. Sure, we can make a case for that newspaper being the type that likes to create their own headlines, but there was probably at least some smoke for them to write it up, exaggerated or not.Now we find out that Baertschi told the Flames he will not be re-signing with the Flames. To me, that was of course strike 3.

What has Baertschi proven? He hasn't looked great beyond the occasional flash. He hasn't looked like a 'hungry' prospect out there. He does look weak - especially in puck battles. He was not NHL ready, period.

He DOES have that potential. Really does. However, with each passing season, you see that potential fading somewhat. Now think about this. Not knowing a thing about Baertschi and his junior season post-draft, does he really look like a 'standout' in any way? For stat-watchers, absolutely not. For the 'eye test' - he looks a step behind often, and weak. I honestly thought Baertschi would be much stronger and closer to the NHL than Granlund. Can anyone say with a straight face that Baertschi is better than Granlund right now?

It is still too early to say that Baertschi is a 'bust', or that his ceiling is lowered, or anything else. He could very well still achieve what most people assumed he would be - a 1st line LW'er. However, he simply wasn't progressing. I am ok with trading him away. Even to the Canucks. This is my take on it:

If Treliving and the rest of the hockey ops department feel that Baertschi is not going to succeed as an NHL player, than having Vancouver give up a 2nd for him will hurt that organization. Of course, there is the chance that he does succeed, and it will prove to be a terrible trade. Perhaps the other offers for Baertschi were substantially lower, and Treliving just made the best of the situation. There can be little doubt that he didn't shop Baertschi around quite a lot first.

Only time will tell who the winner and the loser. It could still be a win-win, or either Calgary or Vancouver will outright lose the trade. As it stands today, Treliving made the best of the situation, and received a 2nd round pick in a very deep draft. I am ok with it.

and meh ... i thought you were done with this topic :whistle:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whole situation reminds me how the leafs initially handled Kadri ... whats the common denominator here?
Not that I know much about Sven's issues in Calgary, but leading up to his trade this is pretty much what I deduced from all the media reports at the time too.

Of course, it's since become public knowledge that Kadri's kind of a dipshit so that could still be the case with Sven.

Status
Not open for further replies.