• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colts' Owner Jim Irsay will select Luck

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
why would manning sign with the niners? neck injuries and poor offensive lines sounds like a recipe for disaster

Best defense and ST in the league to back him up.

An actual RB to hand the ball off too.

The offensive line I agree isn't great but I think it's on the upswing rather than the downswing.

I agree that Harbaugh does prefer more athletic QBs but assuming he's healthy I would gladly take his arm and ability to control offense at the expense of mobility.

I'm just saying for all the teams that would be looking for his services the 49ers offer him the best chance to win.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The offensive line I agree isn't great but I think it's on the upswing rather than the downswing.

I agree that Harbaugh does prefer more athletic QBs but assuming he's healthy I would gladly take his arm and ability to control offense at the expense of mobility.

I'm just saying for all the teams that would be looking for his services the 49ers offer him the best chance to win.

I think Harbaugh would prefer a hall of fame QB to an athletic QB. His ideal QB is probably Steve Young, but somehow I think he would take Peyton Manning over Tim Tebow or Kordell Stewart.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate all things Colt ever since they snuck out of Baltimore like hookers sneaking out after they steal a johns wallet. However Our offensive line is not as bad as it looks. It looks a bit worse because Alex does hold the ball a little too long. Not saying the O-Line is great I would say slightly above average. But just as Alex can make it look worse than it is Payton could make it look better with his quick release and ability to read defenses and audible better than Alex. Alex has done a good job this year. And frankly I would keep Alex over Payton because he has improved and Paytons one big hit from being like Christopher Reeve.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our OL is actually very good... their weakness is consistency and experience...

once that gets rolling, we're very good up front.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Our OL is actually very good... their weakness is consistency and experience...

once that gets rolling, we're very good up front.

but inconsistency is one of the big factors in determining whether you're 'good' or 'very good'? if our O-line is inconsistent, then they're not "very good"?

this applies to almost every sport, every player.

as far as experience, i'll give you (a little bit) in Harbaugh's scheme, but not in the NFL. the newest guys (Davis and Iupati) have already played two FULL seasons.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
two biggest problems with our line is the lack of push in the run game which really shows up in the red zone. also, they can't hold a pocket in the passing game. and when they do actually hold a pocket, it costs us 10 yards.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd split the baby. I'd sign Smith and go for Manning. If he gets injured by the bad oline, then Smith is there. If not, we might have a better chance at a SB. Would Smith (after signing) do anything drastic if Manning was to start? I'd think the combination of Smith being quiet and the respect I assume he has for Manning, what would there be to lose? Assuming Smith doesn't win it all this year due to Smith's play and also assuming the contract wasn't too high. (A cut Manning would get 28 million from whoever claimed him off waivers and then whatever signed for if unclaimed?)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It seems like there are some saying they would prefer Smith to Manning.

Can you guys clarify that?

It's hard to debate and talk football with these folks, Mac. It was mind boggling a few months ago when people tried to convince me that Alex was as good or better QB than Eli. Now this...!!! Sometimes it made me wonder if Cazic was right on some instances when he was making his ridiculous rants about posters here.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to debate and talk football with these folks, Mac. It was mind boggling a few months ago when people tried to convince me that Alex was as good or better QB than Eli. Now this...!!! Sometimes it made me wonder if Cazic was right on some instances when he was making his ridiculous rants about posters here.

I'm right there with you Bingo. As extreme an idiotic as Cazic was against Smith, some posters on this board are that extreme and idiotic when it comes to backing Smith. I really don't understand where this blind, and quite frankly unwarranted loyalty comes from.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not against adding Peyton Manning or any quality QB for that matter, but you can't blame other fans for asking............does he fit............does he REALLY fit? if he does, great, cause it appears our window has opened.

if he doesn't fit or barely fit, then you'd likely give up a LOT of cap for inefficiency? then, you're stuck with his contract 3-4 years. its ok to tweak a scheme to suit your QB, but will they have to 'change' 10 other guys to suit Manning?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Peyton was a free agent, what other team out there offers him the best opportunity to win another ring? I cannot think of one better than the 49ers.
Peyton is used to playing with receivers that you think are average and then he brings the best out of them. Dallas Clark, Garcon, Collie, etc. These guys are all late round picks.

As far as Alex Smith goes, I really think it's not a done deal that he comes back.
It all depends on how he does in the playoffs. If Alex Smith bombs in the playoffs would you bring him back? I would not unless he's willing to sign real cheap.

If Alex Smith bombs in the playoffs, I'll all for going hard after Manning, and then have Kap and Tolzien as his backup. Kap may be progressing nicely on the bench and might be ready in 2 years to take over when Manning is ready to retire.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If Peyton was a free agent, what other team out there offers him the best opportunity to win another ring?

If Peyton Manning were a free agent (and healthy) there would be something seriously wrong with the world.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Peyton Manning were a free agent (and healthy) there would be something seriously wrong with the world.

Peyton Manning is owed a $28M roster bonus *before* trading opens up.

So the Colts have to decide, is he worth $28M, or just to release him. Trading him is not possible.

The Colts may have decided their window is closed and it's time to rebuild around Luck, in which case they could cut Peyton. It would not surprise me.

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My guess would be that if Manning becomes a free agent he would go to the Jets. A chance to play New England twice a year and playing AFC teams that he is overall more familiar with. Plus, think about it if the mannings were the QB's of New York. I wouldnt think that Alex resigns if the niners get manning. That would be stupid. All in all, until he gets medically cleared and is deemed 100% I wouldnt take a chance on him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

So the Colts have to decide, is he worth $28M, or just to release him. Trading him is not possible.

The Colts may have decided their window is closed and it's time to rebuild around Luck, in which case they could cut Peyton. It would not surprise me.

if everyone's evaluation of Luck holds, i'd draft him and rebuild. yes, its hard to lose Peyton and more so for nothing in return, but i'd look ahead.

it might as well be now cause you won't get another chance to draft the best QB prospect in YEARS.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus, the PR thing to do would be to say that they were paying him back for his loyalty - respecting the fact that he wants to start and not be a placeholder - or something along those lines. "We are releasing Manning to let him choose where and how he finishes his career out of respect for the player of his stature, his dedication and commitment to the Colts, and for..." Or they could do the shitty thing and exaggerate his health issues.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
One of the cats on KNBR talk radio said that Manning might land in AZ. I hope not.

If Manning could decide between SF and Arizona I have no idea why he'd want to go to the desert. Pad his stats with Fitz maybe?