• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colley Matrix Rankings Week 6

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always assumed "tie-breakers" were used to break ties.

Using the Colley Matrix formula to determine that Notre Dame was #1 a day after getting their shit shoved in by Bama is idiocy and anyone who defends it by ignoring the Head-to-Head it is complete fucking idiot.

Tie breakers are used to break ties. What makes you think that two the teams were tied?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, what is the purpose of rankings at all if you aren't going to care about circumstances. The whole point of having human voters to counteract computers is that we can realize "oh, shit...that one team deserved to win." We are more than a mathematical formula.

I'm fine if a computer wants to rank us #68. When a person tells me that our kids lost that game or to get over it, you can rot in hell. People make mistakes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be held responsible. We assess blame all the time. Can you imagine if an appeals court went "This one judge says so, so its over?" Our society would be over.

We are living, breathing human beings who have the power to assess merit. And under any rational viewpoint, we deserved to win that game. Had the rules been followed, we would have won the game. Quit acting like you are a fucking machine and use your god-given analytical and free-thinking skills to stop blaming our players for something that was undeniably not their fault.

Jesus Christ. Stop crying. And seriously, you continue to assume that your kicker would have made a field goal under pressure, which is not fair to ASU to assume. Up to that point in the game, you had been losing and were not the better team. Why must we view this game as a victory because of a blown call? Would you have had an opportunity to win? Yes. Do we automatically chalk this up to a Wisky win? No chance.

Criminals get put away incorrectly more often than the should. Armando Galarraga does not have a perfect game to his credit. Wisconsin doesn't have a win at ASU. It happens and it sucks, but there is no one going to go back and white out what happened.

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any ranking that doesn't have Ohio State in the top 4 is just useless. They've won 17? straight games and have already beaten Wisconsin and Northwestern.

And don't give me the "not looking impressive BS." Alabama looked like shit against COLORADO STATE. Georgia struggled for over half the game with NORTH TEXAS. A&M got a battle from Arkansas. Clemson looked awful against NC State. You can pick pretty much any team (outside of Oregon and Baylor - neither of which have played anyone yet) and say "well they looked bad in this game or that game" and try to justify your blind homerism against the B1G but it just comes off as amateur.

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if anyone here actually thinks there are 50+ teams that would beat Wisconsin, you clearly haven't watched a game.

By all means, look at stats and schedules and pretend you know it all, but anyone who has seen Wisconsin play and who knows what they have offensively and defensively could tell you they're a top 25 caliber team who has had an unfortunate schedule, playing 2 road night games against solid opponents.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus Christ. Stop crying. And seriously, you continue to assume that your kicker would have made a field goal under pressure, which is not fair to ASU to assume. Up to that point in the game, you had been losing and were not the better team. Why must we view this game as a victory because of a blown call? Would you have had an opportunity to win? Yes. Do we automatically chalk this up to a Wisky win? No chance.

Criminals get put away incorrectly more often than the should. Armando Galarraga does not have a perfect game to his credit. Wisconsin doesn't have a win at ASU. It happens and it sucks, but there is no one going to go back and white out what happened.

Not to mention the Wisconsin kicker missed the same length FG against Ohio State 2 weeks later.

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention the Wisconsin kicker missed the same length FG against Ohio State 2 weeks later.

LOL RIGHT.. because we know that that means he'd have totally missed the chipshot at ASU. Disregard the fact that he's made like 5 others from that distance or further this year.

Your hate for Wisconsin is so pathetic.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've said all along, I consider it .8 wins to .2 losses. I think it is a pretty fair appraisal of his chance of making it.

If you ask anybody if Armando Galarraga had a perfect game, they would say yes. I still hear random people bitch about it all the time. If there had been some human ranking of pitchers after every game, the voters would have acted like he had pitched a perfect game. I'm not sure what your point is. I already accepted a computer ranking ranking us #68. I don't get bothered when a computer ranking or win/loss record doesn't have a soul.

The last paragraph is especially disturbing to me. I seriously wonder if you have a soul or are if you are a psychopath. You were born with empathy. You were born with the ability to understand right and wrong. And you should have been raised so that you want to see merit and hard work be rewarded. Your whole "they got screwed, we as a society have the ability to at least somewhat undo this injustice, but we should just move on" is really disturbing to me. Where is the passion, that willingness to stand up for what is right and fair? Where is any sign that you think humans have the power to discern right and wrong. Hell, where is any sign that you acknowledge humans are living, breathing beings who can see anything beyond a box score.

I want to know that I will be judged based on my actions and my performance. I want to judge someone based on their actions and their performance. I realize that people make mistakes, but I don't want to live in a world where nobody is willing to attempt to ensure fairness. Life is never perfect, but at least until three weeks ago I had faith that if people had a chance to do something about a clear betrayal of proscribed rules, they'd want to do something. As someone who wants to prosecute, those values are very important. It's why we have free will, why we are motivated to work hard, and it's the essence of humanity.

Apparently, we are okay with giving away our humanity and our powers to discern. And that's really bothered me. And the worst part is you'll never understand that because you've given up believing in right and wrong. That's a tragedy to me.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL RIGHT.. because we know that that means he'd have totally missed the chipshot at ASU. Disregard the fact that he's made like 5 others from that distance or further this year.

He missed the chip shot against OSU. Did I say he would have missed against ASU? NO, but to act like he would have made it 100% of the time is idiotic when he's clearly not automatic from that distance.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I don't hate Wisconsin at all, that is reserved for Michigan and USC.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question: Why do you guys even think we make human rankings? Why not have everything be done by a computer if you really think the truth is decided wholly by a box score?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, what is the purpose of rankings at all if you aren't going to care about circumstances. The whole point of having human voters to counteract computers is that we can realize "oh, shit...that one team deserved to win." We are more than a mathematical formula.

I'm fine if a computer wants to rank us #68. When a person tells me that our kids lost that game or to get over it, you can rot in hell. People make mistakes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be held responsible. We assess blame all the time. Can you imagine if an appeals court went "This one judge says so, so its over?" Our society would be over.

We are living, breathing human beings who have the power to assess merit. And under any rational viewpoint, we deserved to win that game. Had the rules been followed, we would have won the game. Quit acting like you are a fucking machine and use your god-given analytical and free-thinking skills to stop blaming our players for something that was undeniably not their fault.

Bad calls happen in every game. The outcome happened either way and the official record says Wisconsin lost.

If you think your team is that deserving of a win, contact the NCAA and get it changed. Otherwise, shut up about it already and accept the reality, just as everyone else has.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize outgaining your opponent and having a chance to win with less than three minutes left is getting "clownstomped."

If that's the case, then what do you call Nebraska's four losses per year?

The score was Stanford 39 - 7 at the end of the 3rd Q. That is clown stomped. Because they gave up a couple of cheap TD's toward the end is meaningless.

Bringing up Nebraska is not going to distract from Wisconsin's suck.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wisconsin lost, get over it. Wisconsin was not the better team.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad calls happen in every game. The outcome happened either way and the official record says Wisconsin lost.

If you think your team is that deserving of a win, contact the NCAA and get it changed. Otherwise, shut up about it already and accept the reality, just as everyone else has.

I live in reality, douchebag. In reality, you aren't allowed to jump on a dead ball for 15 seconds while the clock runs out. In reality, we were robbed of a win. In reality, the Pac 12 issued an apology about the end of the game. In reality, I can distinguish between a game that was lost on the field and a game that was lost because of a once-in-a-decade level officiating mistake.

In reality, you are an idiot who wants to take the human out of a human opinion. And in reality, I feel sorry for you because you will never understand what it means to believe in right and wrong.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The score was Stanford 39 - 7 at the end of the 3rd Q. That is clown stomped. Because they gave up a couple of cheap TD's toward the end is meaningless.

Bringing up Nebraska is not going to distract from Wisconsin's suck.

Yeah, no team would ever be able to give up 32 unanswered points in about 15 minutes. What's that? Nebraska did that earlier this year? Well, that sort of defeats your argument.

ASU went 0-2 in recovering onside kicks. If they get one, they very well might win the game. If you don't think the Cardinal were sweating, you missed the end of the game.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in reality, douchebag. In reality, you aren't allowed to jump on a dead ball for 15 seconds while the clock runs out. In reality, we were robbed of a win. In reality, the Pac 12 issued an apology about the end of the game. In reality, I can distinguish between a game that was lost on the field and a game that was lost because of a once-in-a-decade level officiating mistake.

In reality, you are an idiot who wants to take the human out of a human opinion. And in reality, I feel sorry for you because you will never understand what it means to believe in right and wrong.

Funny, I get game stats and the final score says Wisconsin lost. If you have a problem with that, tell the NCAA to change it.

But if you want to turn a football score into a matter of morals, then :laugh3: Also, I find it funny you enter a computer rankings thread and talk about human opinion. Just fucking get over it already.

brin3535

moose twit!
Hoopla Cash
$ 955.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny, right? This thread is making fun of a computer. Got it? The real funny part is your coach spanked your ass and made you call him daddy and you then invited him to come live at your house. Now that's funny! tOSU is the white girl giving her black boyfriend a ride to the Sprint store to pay his cell phone bill. Now thats funny, bitch.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you propose to do that code wise?

Why would it be hard to add a sub routine to give more weight to head to head than the rest of the data pool? Anything stat driven is easy to program if you can quantify your weight of that data. That's always the hard part and no two people who attempt it come up with the same formulas for how to weigh it. Turning that into code is easy.

The problem with any system is there aren't enough games and enough common opponents to come up with anything remotely accurate for ranking 125 teams in 12 games.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would it be hard to add a sub routine to give more weight to head to head than the rest of the data pool? Anything stat driven is easy to program if you can quantify your weight of that data. That's always the hard part and no two people who attempt it come up with the same formulas for how to weigh it. Turning that into code is easy.

The problem with any system is there aren't enough games and enough common opponents to come up with anything remotely accurate for ranking 125 teams in 12 games.

All data is head to head.

Me personally there is nothing in my program that works like that. My final rankings are just a score, it's not going up and down and moving teams around based on what they did. The only thing head to head I do is with the scored rankings at the end, if a team beat the team above them, I move them up.

The only thing I can think of that would work in such a manner is the transitive property of college football, which is humorously bad and is actually done to make fun of such "theories". I might be wrong and there is another way, but it's certainly beyond me.

The secret behind my rankings is that I don't use the raw stats directly for things. The first step in everything is to adjust them into what I call quality stats. IE: rushing 100 yards against Alabama is worth way more than rushing for 100 yards against Texas. Then those adjusted stats are used for a teams base power, and that is what is used for predictions and so on.