• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious to see the comments on here, and happy to say they are much more intelligent and civil then in the Political Forum.

We're all hockey fans, intelligence and civility come with the territory :D

/along with belligerence, truculence, and pugnacity.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're all hockey fans, intelligence and civility come with the territory :D

/along with belligerence, truculence, and pugnacity.
with the occasional brouhaha, fracas, and donnybrook

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gingrich is even worse, IMO. How could any other country take that shit seriously. This is so fucked up.

Good thing we MURICANS don't need nuffin from nowhere else in the world!

-sent from my iPhone

It just occurred to me that Christie might be his SCOTUS nominee.

p184382_b_v8_aa.jpg

we gonna see Michelle Obama in 2020 ?

I think one thing is certain, and good, this election has completely ended the "elected monarchy" that has ruled this country essentially since the 80's. No brother, son, wife or husband of any high ranking official will ever get close to that seat again.

And I am actually okay with that.

Well that was quick:

Michigan and Ohio. Where he is bringing jobs back to. :L

I am interested to see what his grand "import tax" plan does to all these foreign automakers who produce and buy parts overseas and have them shipped here to be assembled. Once it becomes cost ineffective to assemble the cars here (or A/C Units, or Blue Ray Players, or...) all those jobs will dry up.

Unless of course we start exporting. But if it costs a lot to bring things in, it stands to reason it will cost a lot to get things out, too.

There are close to 4500 people who work for Honda right outside Columbus. And they got massive tax breaks to not pull out 15 years ago. There are clothing companies (Limited, AE, Abercrombie) all based here that rely heavily on imports to make their products.

They "make" them here. But rely on imports to do it. If it's cheaper to make them elsewhere completely and pay the import tax on the finished product, why would they keep jobs here?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan and Ohio. Where he is bringing jobs back to. :L

I am interested to see what his grand "import tax" plan does to all these foreign automakers who produce and buy parts overseas and have them shipped here to be assembled. Once it becomes cost ineffective to assemble the cars here (or A/C Units, or Blue Ray Players, or...) all those jobs will dry up.

Unless of course we start exporting. But if it costs a lot to bring things in, it stands to reason it will cost a lot to get things out, too.

There are close to 4500 people who work for Honda right outside Columbus. And they got massive tax breaks to not pull out 15 years ago. There are clothing companies (Limited, AE, Abercrombie) all based here that rely heavily on imports to make their products.

They "make" them here. But rely on imports to do it. If it's cheaper to make them elsewhere completely and pay the import tax on the finished product, why would they keep jobs here?

Two industries I happen to know a little about.

If he is smart, he will realize his "plan" is really just a goal. And the goal should be to increase good-paying jobs in the "Rust Belt". No more specific than that, and get the details from experts who can help craft a plan to achieve his goal.

Got my fingers crossed he has the sense and wisdom to do this.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the best plan to give those people back their jobs would be to produce new jobs to replace the manufacturing jobs that will never come back. Once we accept this actual reality, we can start generating the necessary service jobs and providing the associated training to the workforce to fill the void left by those manufacturing jobs becoming increasingly sparse.

Improving infrastructure to more easily involve folks in rural America is the other part of that, too. And improving education everywhere so Trump never happens again.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two industries I happen to know a little about.

If he is smart, he will realize his "plan" is really just a goal. And the goal should be to increase good-paying jobs in the "Rust Belt". No more specific than that, and get the details from experts who can help craft a plan to achieve his goal.

Got my fingers crossed he has the sense and wisdom to do this.

My fingers are also crossed. By my heart doesn't believe it. And to a degree if he's just starting to create is plan now... that's a little scary.

I get that the rust belt is hurting. Columbus and Pittsburgh re-invented themselves after the industrial money stopped, but the rural areas are hurting. I get that.

Seems to me that we could kill two birds with one stone by putting plants that produce Solar Panels, Wind Farm generators and LED Bulbs in Rural Michigan, WV and Ohio. Or the south. Plants that make the Fiber Optic Cable for a plan to roll out high speed internet everywhere as a public utility. Mixing cement and making platforms for bridge reconstruction, stuff like that. Put people to work fixing things for the future.

But it seems more likely that we're going to keep propping up a dying industry (coal) and stifle an industry that had to be rescued a few years back (auto manufacture). All the while cutting regulations on the people who are holding and hiding all the money. I have a hard time seeing how it would work.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, there's a lot of blame being thrown at Gary Johnson, and it's very possible, I guess, that he could have cost Clinton the presidency, but just looking at libertarian ideology, it doesn't seem any more likely to steal liberal votes than conservative ones. I'm really not sure it ends up making a difference.

The real blame has to fall squarely on the shoulders of 1) all the people who didn't vote at all, and 2) all the people who voted for that rotting orange.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fingers are also crossed. By my heart doesn't believe it. And to a degree if he's just starting to create is plan now... that's a little scary.

I get that the rust belt is hurting. Columbus and Pittsburgh re-invented themselves after the industrial money stopped, but the rural areas are hurting. I get that.

Seems to me that we could kill two birds with one stone by putting plants that produce Solar Panels, Wind Farm generators and LED Bulbs in Rural Michigan, WV and Ohio. Or the south. Plants that make the Fiber Optic Cable for a plan to roll out high speed internet everywhere as a public utility. Mixing cement and making platforms for bridge reconstruction, stuff like that. Put people to work fixing things for the future.

But it seems more likely that we're going to keep propping up a dying industry (coal) and stifle an industry that had to be rescued a few years back (auto manufacture). All the while cutting regulations on the people who are holding and hiding all the money. I have a hard time seeing how it would work.

But but the government should stay out of the economy! All those jobs should be provided by the private sector!

Because the private sector has done so well at it.

But you're right, strategically placing production facilities for new technologies in areas which are most hurting would be a huge boost to those areas, and probably to the whole country. And yet no one bothers for some reason.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But but the government should stay out of the economy! All those jobs should be provided by the private sector!

Because the private sector has done so well at it.

But you're right, strategically placing production facilities for new technologies in areas which are most hurting would be a huge boost to those areas, and probably to the whole country. And yet no one bothers for some reason.

I was yelling at my TV during the debates when West Virginia came up. All either one had to do was say "we know you're struggling, but here's a way we can help."

Neither one managed it. Presumably because one doesn't care about those areas and the other doesn't believe in the value of progress.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was yelling at my TV during the debates when West Virginia came up. All either one had to do was say "we know you're struggling, but here's a way we can help."

Neither one managed it. Presumably because one doesn't care about those areas and the other doesn't believe in the value of progress.

It happens over and over again in congressional races and now it's burned them in the presidential race, but for some reason, democrats are really dismissive of rural America. Liberal economic policies could, if properly enacted, really help there, but they never bother to do it, and they don't even bother to talk about doing it to win some votes. It's maddening.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real blame has to fall squarely on the shoulders of 1) all the people who didn't vote at all, and 2) all the people who voted for that rotting orange.

Maybe the "blame" should start with the party that put up a flawed candidate? :noidea:

I get that you are disappointed in the election. But you are focusing your disappointment on everyone but yourself (in the collective, Democrat, sense).

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the best plan to give those people back their jobs would be to produce new jobs to replace the manufacturing jobs that will never come back. Once we accept this actual reality, we can start generating the necessary service jobs and providing the associated training to the workforce to fill the void left by those manufacturing jobs becoming increasingly sparse.

Improving infrastructure to more easily involve folks in rural America is the other part of that, too. And improving education everywhere so Trump never happens again.

those are going away with robotization/automation too though ... just think how many "driving" jobs are going to go bye bye ... all those white uneducated voters who went Trump have been sold a fake bill of goods ... america isnt going to be great again in their world

there are service jobs in other industries that will never come close to the high paying cushy jobs the uneducated could get 30 years ago

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those are going away with robotization/automation too though ... just think how many "driving" jobs are going to go bye bye ... all those white uneducated voters who went Trump have been sold a fake bill of goods ... america isnt going to be great again in their world

there are service jobs in other industries that will never come close to the high paying cushy jobs the uneducated could get 30 years ago
That is why it is key to supplement your income with sound investments and contrarian sports betting.

/by the way, I did win my election bet on the SportsHoopla bookie - I could see the writing on the wall

Last edited:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why it is key to supplement your income with sound investments and contrarian sports betting.

/by the way, I did win my election bet on the SportsHoopla bookie - I could see the writing on the wall

last night before the Canucks game started ... on our provincial lottery/gaming website:

Loui Eriksson to score first canucks goal 8 to 1
Donald Trump to win presidential election 8 to 1

didnt have the stones to do it ... will now have to wait for uber to enter our market in order to supplement my income :pout:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the "blame" should start with the party that put up a flawed candidate? :noidea:

I get that you are disappointed in the election. But you are focusing your disappointment on everyone but yourself (in the collective, Democrat, sense).
Which one are we talking about here?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no ones gonna take your guns away ... no reason to stock up

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How "flawed" Clinton is as a candidate is wildly overblown. No, she's not perfect, and she wasn't my first choice, but she's been diligent in her work her entire political career, and her voting record is by and large what so-called progressive democrats should have wanted.

She got railroaded, and that's not really the party's fault, even if there were better options out there.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truthfully, Bernie wasn't going to beat Turnip either.

/I started to fix my typo, but decided that worked better anyway, so I went with it

Status
Not open for further replies.