• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rowe said it best in the clip you posted, "vocational" training in school needs to be a more mainstream option as opposed to forcing kids into programs with which they will take absolutely zero applicable life skills from.
I liked his little remark about how a plumber will soon cost more than a psychiatrist per hour.

Hell, every time I take my car in it feels like mechanics are already there.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rowe said it best in the clip you posted, "vocational" training in school needs to be a more mainstream option as opposed to forcing kids into programs with which they will take absolutely zero applicable life skills from.

I remember back our school had a vo-tech program but basically, even then, they made it out if you went to that program you aren't going to college since you will miss out on the college prep courses. Even though that wasn't true it was the perception instilled on the students.

Also back in the early 80's when my father lost his job in the one mill. They had a great program where he could go back to a trade school for free and get a trade degree. But if he decided to go onto to get his bachelors he would have had to pay 50% out of pocket. So the decision was easy for him, learned a trade and he became an HVAC installer.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember back our school had a vo-tech program but basically, even then, they made it out if you went to that program you aren't going to college since you will miss out on the college prep courses. Even though that wasn't true it was the perception instilled on the students.

Also back in the early 80's when my father lost his job in the one mill. They had a great program where he could go back to a trade school for free and get a trade degree. But if he decided to go onto to get his bachelors he would have had to pay 50% out of pocket. So the decision was easy for him, learned a trade and he became an HVAC installer.
Our school was actually much the same. There was a perception that the kids who were going to the vocational school (it was a separate school shared by multiple different districts) were the weirdos and the stupid kids. It was regarded essentially as one step above special ed unfortunately.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our school was actually much the same. There was a perception that the kids who were going to the vocational school (it was a separate school shared by multiple different districts) were the weirdos and the stupid kids. It was regarded essentially as one step above special ed unfortunately.
Yup, and funnily enough my friends who became tradespeople are on average earning equal or more than my friends who became desk jockeys and aren't saddled with college debt.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, and funnily enough my friends who became tradespeople are on average earning equal or more than my friends who became desk jockeys and aren't saddled with college debt.
Yeah, everyone has a different story obviously, but if you go into a trade with an indefinite future, you can definitely do well for yourself.

I chose the desk jockey path, mostly because I'm a scrawny weakling with a low pain tolerance, but I have nothing but the utmost respect for people who do manual labor and skilled trades.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then fuck your shit Mr. Kaepernick.

If he kneels again he deserves a visit from James Kneel.

Seriously what a way to make a stand. Get attention to yourself and then don't make a change with the one thing he can do that will actually make a change.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously what a way to make a stand. Get attention to yourself and then don't make a change with the one thing he can do that will actually make a change.
It's one thing if you don't want to vote for President (and considering Cali's status as safely blue it's probably the safest place to do so) but there are downballot elections and ballot initiatives (including repealing the death penalty, something minorities take seriously) that need the input of the electorate.

What pisses me off is that people criticizing him for it will be brushed aside as "hot takes", which is bullshit.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one thing if you don't want to vote for President (and considering Cali's status as safely blue it's probably the safest place to do so) but there are downballot elections and ballot initiatives (including repealing the death penalty, something minorities take seriously) that need the input of the electorate.

What pisses me off is that people criticizing him for it will be brushed aside as "hot takes", which is bullshit.

Exactly. He lost 100% credibility with his stance by not voting on other items in CA or whatever district he votes in.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In my opinion, if you don't exercise your right to vote, you essentially give up the right to complain about the state of things in your country.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger Goodell should suspend him indefinitely for not voting.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trump's sending out his own tweets again:

Good news: This is going to be hilarious.

Bad news: America is now run by Utah, apparently. Salute your new Mormon overlords!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad news: America is now run by Utah, apparently. Salute your new Mormon overlords!

And I for one welcome our new Mormon overlords - I'd like to remind them that as a trusted member of the SportsHoopla NHL General Board, I can be useful in rounding up others to join the tabernacal choir.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I for one welcome our new Mormon overlords - I'd like to remind them that as a trusted member of the SportsHoopla NHL General Board, I can be useful in rounding up others to join the tabernacal choir.
Yeah but your door-to-door skills? WHERE THE HELL IS MY GIFT BASKET?!

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nate boyer gonna solve kaeps problems for him again? Lol

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
nice

CwxZfbMW8AUkn36.jpg

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That response to Trump's tweet was low-low-low-low-low-low-low-low...

Status
Not open for further replies.