• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As sabrefan alluded to, they staff them/set them up for the average turnout, which is typically around 40% on election day. Ohio being an early voting state cuts the crowds a bit usually. I just heard on the local radio that statewide, 40% of Ohio residents have already voted early. So today's turnout is on top of the typical turnout.

America leaves a lot to be desired with regards to voter turnout, but honestly I like the delays. It means people are getting in there. And truth be told, even though there aren't enough polling places, they get people through relatively smoothly.

The last three elections have been pretty major turnout, so hopefully they will open up some more polling places.
It's actually worse than that here. They can handle 40% of expected turnout on election day, not 40% of eligible voters. I think they generally expect 65-70% of eligible voters in NC to vote during presidential years. They need 60% of that 65-70% to show up early/absentee in order to avoid total catastrophe on election day.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well i'll be fucked:

Welp... Belichick does make out with his own daughter so he falls squarely in the Donald's base.

tdy_tren_kiss_150203.jpg

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As soon as I get home from work, I'm taking a nap. I don't want to ride the roller-coaster of early return results.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ventured over to the politics forum (I'm a Sabres and Bills fan, so obviously a glutton for punishment). To save everyone else the time and trauma, here's a quick summary:

45234108.jpg

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As soon as I get home from work, I'm taking a nap. I don't want to ride the roller-coaster of early return results.
I am actually "working from home" today so I can watch the bonanza that is all the news networks. Granted my projects/timelines will be missed but oh well....

I guess in my mind we are all screwed, there is no winner in this election so I get enjoyment out of others going nuts.

What is sad in all of this is the fact that we have an amazing opportunity in history, in electing a woman to be the President, but with Clinton having so much hatred towards her it will be missed.

Sort of how I felt about the Cubs winning the WS. :suds:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually "working from home" today so I can watch the bonanza that is all the news networks. Granted my projects/timelines will be missed but oh well....

I guess in my mind we are all screwed, there is no winner in this election so I get enjoyment out of others going nuts.

What is sad in all of this is the fact that we have an amazing opportunity in history, in electing a woman to be the President, but with Clinton having so much hatred towards her it will be missed.

Sort of how I felt about the Cubs winning the WS. :suds:

Yeah. I still don't all the Clinton hatred. I can understand how voters see her as a very "meh" candidate but I don't get the vitriol. I'm starting to think a large portion of the public is not ready for a female president.

:noidea:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I still don't all the Clinton hatred. I can understand how voters see her as a very "meh" candidate but I don't get the vitriol. I'm starting to think a large portion of the public is not ready for a female president.

I think you nailed it.

Yeah it is a comedy show (Republicans don't get your panties in an uproar :) ) but it is interesting hearing from other countries Female leaders and how they are treated. If you don't like Samantha Bee go to 2:49 when she talks to other Female heads of state.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean Hannity isn't fair and balanced?

I've always found him fairly unbalanced.

My son made the JV team as the starting goalie and tonight is the first team practice. So, I won't be home until the polls are closed and results in. Another reason to thank God for that boy.

They are still pissed off they had to deal with a black one too. It's pretty much the same people.

My brother in law still gripes about the Lewinsky thing. A blowjob 20 years ago should not still be on anyone's mind (I have teased him that the reason he is upset is jealousy for never having gotten one). The hatred for the Clintons borders on sociopathic. She's a qualified public servant who I am happy to say is not a member of my family because I personally wouldn't get along with her.

But I'm not electing a sister or a cousin. I am electing a president. And in the past 8 years, my salary has gone up 30%, my job security has gone up 150%, crime has come down, more kids have health care, renewable clean energy is taking hold and people I know are able to love and marry whoever the fuck they want. I'm okay with four to eight more years if the last 8 have been this good. I think this place is pretty great.

Except Dallas. Fuck Dallas.

So, it took me 15 minutes to vote from soup to nuts. short (10-15 people in each) lines, and I got there before the lunch rush. Completely uneventful, but I did notice lots of suburban moms with their kids voting. Plus, I couldn't help but notice the volunteer wearing the hijab. I imagine she's gonna get a lot of sideways glances throughout the day.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canadian author and journalist Malcolm Gladwell thinks that if Donald Trump is elected, he won't be in office very long.

In an interview with The National, the Outliers author predicted that the GOP presidential candidate "will be in jail within a year" because of the various legal issues he faces.

"He's got so many legal problems, I suspect he will spend the next few years huddled with his lawyers," Gladwell said, referencing the candidate's Trump University fraud case, "Russian ties" and questionable charity donations.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/author-malcolm-gladwell-says-trump-jail-within-050052854.html

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
re generally speaking, why I believe Hillary gets hate is along the lines of what many pundits have said ... generally that a women who climbs to business and life success is held to a higher or different standard because of gender and what people believe a man or woman should be

I think what makes people question most about Hillary is her lack of transparency (and it was interesting seeing from what part of her life experiences that comes from ... if you watched the Frontline special) ... ie "that bitch is untrustworthy", "shes hiding something"

That's a killer for a woman ... a man can lack transparency and still maintain a reputation of being human if that makes any sense ... the way society see gender roles, when a woman does that, subconciously, she is a cheater ... ironically speaking ... one that would cheat on her spouse ... which alot of backward people still see as worse than a man cheating on his spouse

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brother in law still gripes about the Lewinsky thing. A blowjob 20 years ago should not still be on anyone's mind (I have teased him that the reason he is upset is jealousy for never having gotten one). The hatred for the Clintons borders on sociopathic. She's a qualified public servant who I am happy to say is not a member of my family because I personally wouldn't get along with her.
Unless you're the one that received it at least.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
re generally speaking, why I believe Hillary gets hate is along the lines of what many pundits have said ... generally that a women who climbs to business and life success is held to a higher or different standard because of gender and what people believe a man or woman should be

I think what makes people question most about Hillary is her lack of transparency (and it was interesting seeing from what part of her life experiences that comes from ... if you watched the Frontline special) ... ie "that bitch is untrustworthy", "shes hiding something"

That's a killer for a woman ... a man can lack transparency and still maintain a reputation of being human if that makes any sense ... the way society see gender roles, when a woman does that, subconciously, she is a cheater ... ironically speaking ... one that would cheat on her spouse ... which alot of backward people still see as worse than a man cheating on his spouse

^^^What he said

The thing that is the most mind boggling to me about it is in order to play up the fears of the people who believe they are justified to feel that way, you have to remind 51% of the population that this is how it's been and how much it sucks.

Add in pissing off every group besides racist white guys, and...

Well... let's just say it's a bold strategy, Cotton.

Unless you're the one that received it at least.

I feel sorry for anyone if that was their last one, or if they have not received a better one in that time.

I stand by my statement. :D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The vitriol is the same anti-dem crap that's been spouted since 2000. Is some of it based on her gender in the same vein Obama's race factored in? Sure, but John Kerry was as white and male as any Republican candidate's ever been (except for the Catholic part) and by Election Day the GOP had effectively painted him as a national traitor despite the fact the guy he was running against led the country into a costly and deadly war with fabricated cause.

The thing is, Hillary is an awful candidate compared to Obama and Kerry. Much of where she's gotten in her public life, fair or not, is the result of nepotism - she might have been a public servant had she married a line cook or an insurance executive but she would not have spent the last 10 years of her life as a serious contender for the land's highest office.

The Clintons have been in public service for over 40 years and have a textbooks worth of bullshit that goes along with any political career that extensive. While the source of much ridicule, I think the e-mail issues was a pretty fucking stupid error on the part of someone who claims to have "all the qualifications" and I think it is something definitely worth the pause for concern - if she doesn't have the foresight that something so silly is so wrong, what else might she skip over when she's the CIC?

Hindsight is everything, but she did vote to invade Iraq and put up little in terms of opposition or scrutiny in the build-up. Her position as a senator in NY post-9/11 and the emotions she felt from being a first-hand witness to the destruction and horror of that day and what followed very well may have blinded her from what was really going on in the Bush Administration's push for war. If America goes through another situation like that, is she capable of keeping her emotions in check?

More than anything, I think people are upset because it seems like the establishment has been trying to force a second Clinton presidency on America since the day the last one ended. They were thwarted when Obama came out of nowhere and fucked with the program and the agreement since then appeared to be "Obama now, Clinton after" and people who may have had a good shot were advised not to bother trying and those that still tried (Bernie) were essentially destroyed from within. I think it's hard for people to get excited for "historic" moments when they believe the democratic process was taken advantage of in order to make it happen, and that's too bad.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The vitriol is the same anti-dem crap that's been spouted since 2000. Is some of it based on her gender in the same vein Obama's race factored in? Sure, but John Kerry was as white and male as any Republican candidate's ever been (except for the Catholic part) and by Election Day the GOP had effectively painted him as a national traitor despite the fact the guy he was running against led the country into a costly and deadly war with fabricated cause.

The thing is, Hillary is an awful candidate compared to Obama and Kerry. Much of where she's gotten in her public life, fair or not, is the result of nepotism - she might have been a public servant had she married a line cook or an insurance executive but she would not have spent the last 10 years of her life as a serious contender for the land's highest office.

The Clintons have been in public service for over 40 years and have a textbooks worth of bullshit that goes along with any political career that extensive. While the source of much ridicule, I think the e-mail issues was a pretty fucking stupid error on the part of someone who claims to have "all the qualifications" and I think it is something definitely worth the pause for concern - if she doesn't have the foresight that something so silly is so wrong, what else might she skip over when she's the CIC?

Hindsight is everything, but she did vote to invade Iraq and put up little in terms of opposition or scrutiny in the build-up. Her position as a senator in NY post-9/11 and the emotions she felt from being a first-hand witness to the destruction and horror of that day and what followed very well may have blinded her from what was really going on in the Bush Administration's push for war. If America goes through another situation like that, is she capable of keeping her emotions in check?

More than anything, I think people are upset because it seems like the establishment has been trying to force a second Clinton presidency on America since the day the last one ended. They were thwarted when Obama came out of nowhere and fucked with the program and the agreement since then appeared to be "Obama now, Clinton after" and people who may have had a good shot were advised not to bother trying and those that still tried (Bernie) were essentially destroyed from within. I think it's hard for people to get excited for "historic" moments when they believe the democratic process was taken advantage of in order to make it happen, and that's too bad.

I agree with your statement completely but the bolded part that can be said for almost all elected officials and most other folks in the country at that time. Heck Trump had the same sentiment at the time based off of emotion. I think thats the double standard that occurs (not saying you mean that just mentioning it as an example) that since it is a woman people think she is letting her emotions get in the way of her judgement but a man that is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.