• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bet that the card itself is just as dirty as anything else.

At least during the winter, most stores in the US have either hand sanitizer or sanitizing wipes (for cart/basket handles) available anyhow.

didnt IPW once talk about paying hookers with credit cards in a very unhygienic way? SWIPE IT BABY!!! lol

but seriously, you trust other people use the bold?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately Cash is the only secure way.

But maybe but sniffing technology will finally come to fruition. Heck if it works for dogs it MUST work for us!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How hard are fingerprint readers to hack?

Why not embed those in the terminals. Insert chip, scan fingerprint. No PIN, no signature. If they're generally secure, that seems like a pretty good way to go to me.

Fingerprint readers themselves are not that easy to break, so the easiest way to defeat them is insert yourself in the login process.

I once got into a data center by sitting outside with the smokers at a place that had thumbprint scanners for re-entry. But it was so far around back that they didn't want to run wire so they communicated back via wireless. I sat there with my laptop, reading the wireless signals and eventually replayed one to open the door. It's okay, they paid me to do it.

Plus, if banks like Chase don't want the expense of programming your chip with your PIN, can you imagien how much of a fit they'd throw about having to program the hundreds of data points that identify your fingerprint?

I also use Pay Pal whenever I can. I have two factor authentication on that. I try a transaction, and it texts me a code to my phone number of record. Which is my Google voice number. Which doesn't go to my phone. I log into that email to use the code. Sometimes a pain for me, but... I am a wee bit paranoid.

is it a different set up in canada?

Reality check: You don’t need RFID protection in your wallet

The would-be thief’s reader doesn’t have access to the PIN number, or the three-digit security code on the back of the card.

Even if a criminal did manage to steal your data, he would be unable to make a lot of money due to the card's transaction limits, says Levin. And they will only have access to limited information, such as a user's language preference, their card number and a dynamic three-digit verification code that expires after each transaction, which wouldn't be useful to a criminal. Your name, service code -- which permits where and how the card is used - and CVV, which are stored on a magnetic stripe, are either not stored on the chip or are better secured on the chip (for instance, the dynamic three-digit code that takes the place of the CVV)

A lot of US banks included PIN in the RFID data for "convenience".

I think most of them probably stopped. Probably.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I've always kind of wanted to just drop my wallet on the reader when I buy something and find out which card wins.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
24oz of iced black bold roast coffee is the best way to start a workday.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time I heard "Bernie Bernie" chanted like that in Philly was back in '74 against the Broons.

Status
Not open for further replies.