• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I've been seeing a lot of stuff about chip card readers only now entering widespread use in the US and people being upset about having to insert your card and enter a pin.

So America is still in 2005, then?

Haha, I wish. Unless it's a debit card, you're usually still just signing, so really no security at all still.

I got a new credit card about a year ago with a chip, but couldn't find any PIN information, so I called Chase. They said they don't issue PINs because the signature is more secure :L

I've had one for a while now and never had to enter a pin either. And really I'd say only about 50% of places have their terminals set up to read the chip. Most terminals have the slot, but its often taped over at places I go. Often with helpful signs like 'no chip'.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my favorite shitty experience is getting gas at a US gas station ... always with the fuckin ENTER ZIP CODE ... i know theres a trick to it where you enter some abc and first 3 digits of your postal code or something but i never remember and i am forced to go inside and give them my credit card ... TAKING UP ALL MY TIME!!! I GOTS GARBAGE BAGS TO FILL WITH GAS!!!
I never knew there was a trick. I always do the same thing - insert card, fucking fuck fuck, go inside.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am stupid, likely, but what do you mean by tapped transactions or tapping?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had one for a while now and never had to enter a pin either. And really I'd say only about 50% of places have their terminals set up to read the chip. Most terminals have the slot, but its often taped over at places I go. Often with helpful signs like 'no chip'.
They were like that here for a while with the taped-over slot but gradually everybody got on board. I don't think we can even swipe anymore.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never knew there was a trick. I always do the same thing - insert card, fucking fuck fuck, go inside.

Finally! Canadians able to pay at U.S. pumps with credit again

dont be like me ... MEMORIZE IT!!!

MasterCard has rolled out a fix for Canadians. When prompted, Canadians can now enter the three numbers in their postal code, and two zeroes.

So, if your postal code is A2B 3C4, you enter 23400.

/its always ... what was that fucking trick ... search on phone ... now im roaming ... :L

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The zip code thing can be annoying, but it's a decent security measure. Well, by our standards at least.

Gas stations were always a popular spot for people with skimmed cards. They could get all their friends (or a big pile of garbage bags) lined up and fill them all up one after the other and since it was all done at the pump, there was no check on it.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was recently on a trip to Japan, Singapore, Sydney and Fiji and used credit cards a bunch. When I arrived back into LAX, I had an alert from AMEX about a possible fraudulent charge - I just assumed it was from oversesas as most of my previous overseas fraud came from Sydney and Hong Kong. Nope, it was for pay at the pump Ralph's gas station that was caught because of an incorrect zip code.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was recently on a trip to Japan, Singapore, Sydney and Fiji and used credit cards a bunch. When I arrived back into LAX, I had an alert from AMEX about a possible fraudulent charge - I just assumed it was from oversesas as most of my previous overseas fraud came from Sydney and Hong Kong. Nope, it was for pay at the pump Ralph's gas station that was caught because of an incorrect zip code.
I had something similar last year. I had a card that I had used all over Canada and France during the summer and fall. Then along a roadtrip from Charlotte to Buffalo. Then Canada some more. I get back from Canada and have a fraud alert email. Thinking it's the Canadian charges (why now, I don't know). Nope, turns out someone tried to use it at a Gamestop in Greensboro, NC and they caught it.

I was impressed actually.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I've been seeing a lot of stuff about chip card readers only now entering widespread use in the US and people being upset about having to insert your card and enter a pin.

So America is still in 2005, then?

We're almost up to 2005.

Haha, I wish. Unless it's a debit card, you're usually still just signing, so really no security at all still.

I got a new credit card about a year ago with a chip, but couldn't find any PIN information, so I called Chase. They said they don't issue PINs because the signature is more secure :L

Well, no a signature is not "more secure". And Chase was a big opponent of Chip Technology because it costs more. They led the fight against it from a bank perspective and Wal Mart led the fight against it from the retail perspective. I believe the number I saw was it was going to cost Chase like 5 cents per card and retrofitting terminals in Wal Mart was going to cost something like .012cents a transaction. And that kind of security was "too costly" for them. Chase doesn't issue PINs because it costs them two much to add the second factor on the back end.

Meanwhile fraud from cloned cards didn't cost either of them anything, you pay for it out of your taxes.

As I see it, the only added security the chip cards add is the card can't be skimmed and cloned...the cloned card would be useless UNLESS the vendor it is used at doesn't use the chip reader technology yet.

This^^

Online transactions and individual transactions are no more secure. All this is is a chip embedded in the card that performs a calculation at time of transaction and runs it against the mag stripe data on the card to verify that the card is what the presenter says it is. That's it. It has put a huge dent in people getting numbers and CVV codes and printing their own fake cards.

Or, as BBB said. Stopping the high fashion fraud of 2005.

Maybe I am stupid, likely, but what do you mean by tapped transactions or tapping?

Cards with RFID chips in them that you just have to tap on the terminal to pay.

Those are great, I watched a presentation that showed a guy on the third floor of a mall was using an antenna made of a Pringles Can to pull the RFID signal out of people's pockets and purses while they walked on the first floor of the mall. Got all the data on the card, number, billing address, PIN and CVV.

Whenever i get a card with the "tap" technology, I hit it with a hammer to break it.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird, I do not know whether my gas station is upgrading or not but at the pump I was just asked my social security # and my mother's maiden name. Weird looking terminal too. Oh well, progress I guess.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How hard are fingerprint readers to hack?

Why not embed those in the terminals. Insert chip, scan fingerprint. No PIN, no signature. If they're generally secure, that seems like a pretty good way to go to me.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pull the RFID signal out of people's pockets and purses while they walked on the first floor of the mall. Got all the data on the card, number, billing address, PIN and CVV.

is it a different set up in canada?

Reality check: You don’t need RFID protection in your wallet

The would-be thief’s reader doesn’t have access to the PIN number, or the three-digit security code on the back of the card.

Even if a criminal did manage to steal your data, he would be unable to make a lot of money due to the card's transaction limits, says Levin. And they will only have access to limited information, such as a user's language preference, their card number and a dynamic three-digit verification code that expires after each transaction, which wouldn't be useful to a criminal. Your name, service code -- which permits where and how the card is used - and CVV, which are stored on a magnetic stripe, are either not stored on the chip or are better secured on the chip (for instance, the dynamic three-digit code that takes the place of the CVV)

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How hard are fingerprint readers to hack?

Why not embed those in the terminals. Insert chip, scan fingerprint. No PIN, no signature. If they're generally secure, that seems like a pretty good way to go to me.

DIRTY DISEASE RIDDEN SCAN PADS!!! lol

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cards with RFID chips in them that you just have to tap on the terminal to pay.

Those are great, I watched a presentation that showed a guy on the third floor of a mall was using an antenna made of a Pringles Can to pull the RFID signal out of people's pockets and purses while they walked on the first floor of the mall. Got all the data on the card, number, billing address, PIN and CVV.

Whenever i get a card with the "tap" technology, I hit it with a hammer to break it.

OK, I have only seen or noticed those being used at certain gas stations. I've never had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.