• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk V: The Final Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manchin does pretty well fit the term DINO since his family is an old school political family that have been Democrats since the time when it was Democrats who believed that certain people could be bought and sold. No one ever told them the parties basically switched platforms in the 50's. At least he has the sense to vote the way his money faucet tells him to most times. Like you said, 80 is better than 0.

If the Democrats can flip a few more, Manchin doesn't matter anyway. The one that annoyed me more was Sinema. She pretty much campaigned on raising minimum wage and the first chance she got to vote on it she said no.
She voted no by doing the John McCain thumbs down to boot! The optics were so bad lol WTF are you doing lady?!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She voted no by doing the John McCain thumbs down to boot! The optics were so bad lol WTF are you doing lady?!

It amazes me that there are some people who are praising Sinema for voting no. I have to think all of them likely make more than $15 a hour.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jnwm8fylzgl61.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Senator from the state with the 3rd highest poverty rate in the US.

It's bad enough those fuckwits keep shooting themsleves in the dick, but they are a prime reason why everyone else is suffering. Maybe the rule should be "states where one or both senators voted yes get 15 per hour. States where both senators say no get nothing. And they don't get any more government welfare. Which is where Kentucky ranks 2nd worst in the disparity between what they contribute to federal taxes vs what they get from the federal government.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one ever told them the parties basically switched platforms in the 50's.
Every Republican who holds on to the mantra "Party of Lincoln" hasn't been told either.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manchin does pretty well fit the term DINO since his family is an old school political family that have been Democrats since the time when it was Democrats who believed that certain people could be bought and sold. No one ever told them the parties basically switched platforms in the 50's. At least he has the sense to vote the way his money faucet tells him to most times. Like you said, 80 is better than 0.

If the Democrats can flip a few more, Manchin doesn't matter anyway. The one that annoyed me more was Sinema. She pretty much campaigned on raising minimum wage and the first chance she got to vote on it she said no.
And hold the ones on shaky ground. As much as people believe GA flipped the state is still Run by a very RED governor, state and house and can easily pass items like this:
Get ready in 2022 Warnock will need all the assistance necessary to hold that seat.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jnwm8fylzgl61.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Senator from the state with the 3rd highest poverty rate in the US.

It's bad enough those fuckwits keep shooting themsleves in the dick, but they are a prime reason why everyone else is suffering. Maybe the rule should be "states where one or both senators voted yes get 15 per hour. States where both senators say no get nothing. And they don't get any more government welfare. Which is where Kentucky ranks 2nd worst in the disparity between what they contribute to federal taxes vs what they get from the federal government.
Isn’t this already possible though? Those states can raise their own minimum wage right?

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they can... And why should minimum wage be $15?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why should minimum wage be $15?
It shouldn't. To equal the ratio of cost of living to minimum wage that Senator John Thune was bleating on about last week it should be $24 an hour.

The 15 dollar number is just adding on standard COLA increases to the already low minimum wage from the last time it was raised.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It shouldn't. To equal the ratio of cost of living to minimum wage that Senator John Thune was bleating on about last week it should be $24 an hour.

The 15 dollar number is just adding on standard COLA increases to the already low minimum wage from the last time it was raised.
States can make the minimum what they want. I see no need to make a mandatory $15 minimum from the federal gov't.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
States can make the minimum what they want. I see no need to make a mandatory $15 minimum from the federal gov't.
Because those who are economically impoverished don't have the luxury of relocating to a state with with a higher minimum wage. The geographic birth lottery shouldn't decide whether or not a person is forever destined to poverty because their particular state government felt they simply weren't sufficiently boot-strappy.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raising the minimum wage to $15 will cause a rise in consumer prices and lower employment for those at minimum wage. We've seen this in the expensive west coast cities. Unless you provide the wage payer with incentives, nothing will change. Legislation mandating the minimum wage isn't the way to do this anymore; instead tax incentives to the business for going far above and beyond the minimum wage will work better. Tax penalties for those who will not pay a fair wage. Set the national minimum wage at something "reasonable" in today's dollars, say $12 (by reasonable I mean a figure that won't outright offend republicans.) Then localities can chose if they want a base rate above that and the businesses will figure out what works for them.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because those who are economically impoverished don't have the luxury of relocating to a state with with a higher minimum wage. The geographic birth lottery shouldn't decide whether or not a person is forever destined to poverty because their particular state government felt they simply weren't sufficiently boot-strappy.
Sorry. That's almost $29k a year. My daughter's friends with degrees are making $35k.

Not seeing the need to pay fast food $15 an hour

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry. That's almost $29k a year. My daughter's friends with degrees are making $35k.

Exactly. Minimum wage jobs should not be career positions, unfortunately that’s a bigger problem.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 3 cents (adjusted for inflation) : I think $15 is too high but think a minimum wage increase is far overdue. I'd rather they raise it too much than not at all.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you're one of them... so you can meet baseline living standards.

If you make a little more than them... so your wages can go up as well and pay for the outrageous costs of healthcare and education, both of which have seen absurd rises in costs and reduced favorable outcomes for oh... half a century now.

If you make a lot more than them.... so a fucking mob doesn't some day get sick of it all, show up in your neighborhood, and rip you limb from limb. (see also: to be charitable, helpful)

The simple facts are these:
  • The minimum wage should be tied to some baseline of inflation so this debate doesn't have to be replayed constantly.
  • Anyone unwilling to pay an extra 40 cents for a cheeseburger at a fast food joint so their employees can feed their kids should be choked out with a fucking filet-o-fish.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are making the case for low-skill jobs to be paid “living wages” and at the same time saying it costs too much to live in many places while ignoring the inflationary reaction such a move would create (as they usually do because most activists don’t exactly understand how an economy works).

I agree that minimum wage should be brought up to a reasonable level and pegged to inflation. I also think a realization needs to be made that we shouldn’t be paying the McDonalds workers as much as some skilled labourers.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Minimum wage jobs should not be career positions, unfortunately that’s a bigger problem.

If you're one of them... so you can meet baseline living standards.

If you make a little more than them... so your wages can go up as well and pay for the outrageous costs of healthcare and education, both of which have seen absurd rises in costs and reduced favorable outcomes for oh... half a century now.

If you make a lot more than them.... so a fucking mob doesn't some day get sick of it all, show up in your neighborhood, and rip you limb from limb. (see also: to be charitable, helpful)

The simple facts are these:
  • The minimum wage should be tied to some baseline of inflation so this debate doesn't have to be replayed constantly.
  • Anyone unwilling to pay an extra 40 cents for a cheeseburger at a fast food joint so their employees can feed their kids should be choked out with a fucking filet-o-fish.
No....they shouldn't be choked out. Minimum wage jobs aren't supposed to be living wage jobs. Sorry. That's how I feel. And why are you having kids making minimum wage?

I am a firm believer in free complete health care (medical, dental, optical) and schooling (not unlimited professional student thought)...do away with most other support structures since you would basically need to make enough to house/feed yourself and you could better your life via schooling.

I am against mandating minimum wage at $15.

And yes, I've seen FL, AL, and KS...I would never live there...and cost of living is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.