• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk V: The Final Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I agree...we need people to do menial tasks. That's what teenagers are/were for when I was growing up...not a career. And yes, there are always those that will only attain a certain level.

I have no issue with support for people with kids, but they will have to sign away their fertility. :eek:
Lol at that last line. Funny.

To the bold, teenagers aren't taking those jobs as much. Many minimum wage employers have trouble finding stable staffing (or enough workers at all). Maybe if they paid more... ;)

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that black and white though. My dad was a skilled union laborer and a veteran. He made a good middle-class salary and for many years had his little slice of the American dream. To do it he worked in some of the harshest conditions (outside in Buffalo winters), around some seriously dangerous shit at chemical factories (and at one point inside the highest security area of Attica Prison), and in some scary/dangerous areas like hanging in a harness from the side of a smokestack or crawling through a 2 ft x 2 ft tunnel under industrial sized chemical tanks. But he did it and he did it well because it kept food on the table and a roof over our heads.

But then, 20+ years on, his field began to dry up through no fault of his own. He was also older and more experienced than the new guys (i.e., more skilled but also more expensive) and his share of the work dried up. So he was suddenly a guy staring down 50, a master in a skilled trade, and out of work.

So he turned to various jobs, many of which were minimum or barely above, just to keep us above water until he could find a new profession, and worked 70 hours a week (plus odd jobs for friends/neighbors where he could).

We never went hungry, but the quality of what we got to eat certainly declined and there were multiple years where my parents had to explain there wouldn't be Christmas (we were past the Santa believing age) or birthday presents.

And I know we were STILL the lucky ones because we didn't lose our house only because of an extended family member who was able to help out (which, BTW, agreeing to accept that help was only the second time I remember seeing my dad cry, the first being his mother's funeral).

And you know what, I don't really know how to end this post or to wrap it up in a good conclusion paragraph. I know it's just my anecdotal history, but that's what I've got to work with. But what I know for sure is that it ate him up inside that he couldn't do better for several years. Our story does have a happy ending where after several years he was successful in landing a new gig (through a family connection) that he parlayed into a second career. But not everyone has a wealthy family member who can help them stay afloat or an "in" to a second career. But they deserve to have a chance to work their way out of poverty.
The 50's are over...
No company loyalty
Unions are gone
Steel mills died
Two income households needed
Industries died off
No pensions, and the ones they promised you, gone
A mans pride is certainly damaged when work/wages are gone
Reskilled is a challeng when 40 or older...been there

Not sure the point of the story, but appreciate you posting.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 50's are over...
No company loyalty
Unions are gone
Steel mills died
Industries died off

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the point was that a minimum wage (and thus decent paying skilled jobs above that) is a good thing to have be strong because people lose jobs, people don't necessarily have skills, or people have careers that collapse through no fault of their own. Someone willing to work hard should have a place in our society where they can make a living (albeit not always a luxurious one) where they get some basic human decency, time to spend with their kids of families, and some pride in what they do regardless of what that may be.

And if you want to underpay fast food workers most of all, I'd suggest you don't eat out. Because when the people making your food don't give a fuck anymore... well, let's just say you're definitely eating some insects and human fluids. ;)

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I agree...we need people to do menial tasks. That's what teenagers are/were for when I was growing up...not a career. And yes, there are always those that will only attain a certain level.

I have no issue with support for people with kids, but they will have to sign away their fertility. :eek:
Never thought I'd see someone advocate Eugenics here.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 50's are over...
No company loyalty
Unions are gone
Steel mills died
Industries died off

The point, I'm pretty sure, is that his father had "bettered himself" (quotes are your terms) and was capable of skilled labour but for reasons beyond his control had to resort to "mindless menial labour" (again your terms) to get any kind of income. It impacted @sabresfaninthesouth 's family. And it sounds like it had an effect on a hardworking man's state of mind. Without the help of family (which not all have) it may have had more deleterious effects on them.

All that could have been avoided if he made a basic livable income while doing honest work.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you know what, I don't really know how to end this post or to wrap it up in a good conclusion paragraph.
And that's when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned and was staring into Margot Robbie's beautiful blue eyes. She told me there was a screw up at the liquor store and they gave her two six packs instead of one and she wanted to know if I wanted to come into her motor home and help her drink them. Over drinks she explained that she had given up on the Hollywood life, bought a motor home and planned on driving around the country surviving on petty crimes. She asked if I wanted to join her. I cracked another beer, sat back, and smiled.

"Let me tell you about my favorite dinosaur, the spinosaurus", I said.

FIN

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's five incumbent Senate seats on the market next time out. Question is do we move to the middle or does it open up for more Qrazies?

We need to clone Stacey Abrams and put her in each of these states.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 50's are over...
No company loyalty
Unions are gone
Steel mills died
Industries died off

Kenny and eloco pretty well summed up the point.

Some are born into terrible circumstances and some do everything right but still find themselves there. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I think someone shouldn't have to work 70 hours a week and still rely on help just to survive because of life events outside of their control.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenny and eloco pretty well summed up the point.

Some are born into terrible circumstances and some do everything right but still find themselves there. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I think someone shouldn't have to work 70 hours a week and still rely on help just to survive because of life events outside of their control.

I agree! If we'd let the 8- and 9-year olds back in the factories, Pops could come home and relax after a hard day's work!

#LazyPreTeens

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's five incumbent Senate seats on the market next time out. Question is do we move to the middle or does it open up for more Qrazies?

We need to clone Stacey Abrams and put her in each of these states.
Unfortunately, most of those are in states that aren't purple enough to have much chance.

Alabama is obvious as long as Roy Moore doesn't run again. Missouri is almost as obvious. Ohio seems to be getting redder.

NC is obviously the closest comparable to Georgia in terms of demographics and such. If the Dems can find a semi-decent candidate who can keep his dick in his pants for a full campaign, there's a chance to flip that.

And PA is basically a coin toss at this point.

Meanwhile, the only other reasonable Dem pickup opportunity (outside of the retirements that is) is Wisconsin, while also having to defend in Georgia and, depending on who runs, potentially against a very strong R candidate in NH.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, most of those are in states that aren't purple enough to have much chance.

Alabama is obvious as long as Roy Moore doesn't run again. Missouri is almost as obvious. Ohio seems to be getting redder.

NC is obviously the closest comparable to Georgia in terms of demographics and such. If the Dems can find a semi-decent candidate who can keep his dick in his pants for a full campaign, there's a chance to flip that.

And PA is basically a coin toss at this point.

Meanwhile, the only other reasonable Dem pickup opportunity (outside of the retirements that is) is Wisconsin, while also having to defend in Georgia and, depending on who runs, potentially against a very strong R candidate in NH.
Plus there's just so much that can happen in the next two years before these elections. We don't even know what the next pandemic is going to look like yet!

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point, I'm pretty sure, is that his father had "bettered himself" (quotes are your terms) and was capable of skilled labour but for reasons beyond his control had to resort to "mindless menial labour" (again your terms) to get any kind of income. It impacted @sabresfaninthesouth 's family. And it sounds like it had an effect on a hardworking man's state of mind. Without the help of family (which not all have) it may have had more deleterious effects on them.

All that could have been avoided if he made a basic livable income while doing honest work.
Thanks for clarifying. There's no guarantees in life and i've been on that side without work and a career change. No bailout from family or friends. Scraping by...You adapt, his dad had drive, passion and pride. He worked to succeed/reinvent and did what he had to...I have a great appreciation for it.

Been there...painful learning experience.

It's life.

These unexpected things happen and I am sorry, $15/hour is not the answer for unskilled labor. Coffee people in Washington state make minimum wage plus tips. I know ones who pull in $17 an hour with tips, making coffee in a driver thru...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should have less fast food?

I don't eat it...

We should have less fast food, but for millions of Americans, it is their only option as eating healthy is a much more expensive choice. For the single mother with two kids who has to provide a roof over all their heads, after you've paid the rent/mortgage plus utilities, the next biggest expense is likely food. The other side of that equation is the explosion of obesity and other health concerns due to ingesting fast food.

Status
Not open for further replies.