• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk: 7 Words You Can't Say to Jack Johnson

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this and all the folks that cheer this on until they realized it was a Ford F150 Lightning.

But this does pose one of many issues with the charging infrastructure and why people are reluctant to purchase them.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But this does pose one of many issues with the charging infrastructure and why people are reluctant to purchase them.
An uncommon use case for sure, but still a problem. One of the shopping centers here has two lines of chargers like this with spots on either side. The chargers are on "Islands" in the middle of the lot and have room to park on either side.

Would take double the number of RAM 2500s to block in set of chargers in. 4x to block them all in. I imagine you could also create lanes like in a gas station to alleviate the trailer issue.

That guy could have been a decent chap and parked the trailer elsewhere where it was empty and charged his truck like a normal person, though.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
We (my wife) used to have some friends that would stop by unannounced all the time, because we have a charging station a few blocks up the road.

They would just show up, expect up to stop everything to feed and entertain them for a few hours while their Leaf gets charged.

Man, I did not like those people.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An uncommon use case for sure, but still a problem. One of the shopping centers here has two lines of chargers like this with spots on either side. The chargers are on "Islands" in the middle of the lot and have room to park on either side.

Would take double the number of RAM 2500s to block in set of chargers in. 4x to block them all in. I imagine you could also create lanes like in a gas station to alleviate the trailer issue.

That guy could have been a decent chap and parked the trailer elsewhere where it was empty and charged his truck like a normal person, though.
I was doing work with the City of Buford in GA. They made a big deal about putting EV charging stations at their community center.
This is what they did:
1715638808923.png
That left spot is fine but that right spot barely fits a vehicle and with the shrubs overgrown the spot is useless.
NOTE: The shrubs were more overgrown when I was there last. This image is from google street view.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was doing work with the City of Buford in GA. They made a big deal about putting EV charging stations at their community center.
This is what they did:
View attachment 362011
That left spot is fine but that right spot barely fits a vehicle and with the shrubs overgrown the spot is useless.
NOTE: The shrubs were more overgrown when I was there last. This image is from google street view.
that cyber truck looks fairly thin :)

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We (my wife) used to have some friends that would stop by unannounced all the time, because we have a charging station a few blocks up the road.

They would just show up, expect up to stop everything to feed and entertain them for a few hours while their Leaf gets charged.

Man, I did not like those people.

Hey now I….

Shit, I can’t even pretend to own a Leaf.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hfz4sf5lba0d1.png

'When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent. ' Isaac Asimov.

I genuinely cannot fathom how far gone you need to be to do this to yourself and consider yourself clever. And all for a person who would sooner order you murdered than talk to you directly.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every reservation I have about EVs gets thrown out the window when my heart sees how cool these look.

ltkwx6cs8e0d1.jpeg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is why nobody is buying these things.
Well, that and for that one in particular the fact that they aren't for sale in the US yet.

This a pre-production tester seen driving around the Chatanooga VW plant. Production starts next Summer.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The prices are messed up for sure, though. Like the manufacturers have calculated the cost savings for just the gas a car would otherwise consume over the 6 years people finance cars for and have simply tacked that dollar amount onto the price.

VW ID4 costs 40-50 k.
VW Tiguan (same size SUV) costs 28-35.

And they do it because people will figure "eh, I will save that much in gas over the time I own it", with literally no consideration for anything else. If there was a petrol only or hybrid version of the bus up there at 35-40 k, I would already be on a waitlist.

It's like when LED bulbs came out and were like 10-15 bucks each. You just know the manufacturers just said well, a person would replace Incandescent bulbs 10 times in the years this bulb will last at a buck each, so.... THAT'S the price. When you know they cost like 15 cents to make.

I would love to know the manufacturing cost difference between forging aluminum blocks vs winding some copper wires (over simplified, I know).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that and for that one in particular the fact that they aren't for sale in the US yet.

This a pre-production tester seen driving around the Chatanooga VW plant. Production starts next Summer.
I mean EV's in general.

That's $68k CAD. A Hybrid Sienna starts at $50k CAD, is larger, and isn't a pain in the ass to fuel. What's the selling point on these?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hfz4sf5lba0d1.png

'When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent. ' Isaac Asimov.

I genuinely cannot fathom how far gone you need to be to do this to yourself and consider yourself clever. And all for a person who would sooner order you murdered than talk to you directly.
I bet shes a fun date. Maybe happy hour at the Red Lobster drinking Shrimp Wreck Marys, then some Cheddar Bay biscuits, head home for some intercourse, then maybe some Jenga and Bud Light Lime.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when he says he is joking, he is not. I would love someone who may have been affected come forward. maybe he can be investigated for fraud
He needs an ass kicking

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The prices are messed up for sure, though. Like the manufacturers have calculated the cost savings for just the gas a car would otherwise consume over the 6 years people finance cars for and have simply tacked that dollar amount onto the price.

VW ID4 costs 40-50 k.
VW Tiguan (same size SUV) costs 28-35.

And they do it because people will figure "eh, I will save that much in gas over the time I own it", with literally no consideration for anything else. If there was a petrol only or hybrid version of the bus up there at 35-40 k, I would already be on a waitlist.

It's like when LED bulbs came out and were like 10-15 bucks each. You just know the manufacturers just said well, a person would replace Incandescent bulbs 10 times in the years this bulb will last at a buck each, so.... THAT'S the price. When you know they cost like 15 cents to make.

I would love to know the manufacturing cost difference between forging aluminum blocks vs winding some copper wires (over simplified, I know).

It's like buying a new furnace, thinking the cost savings on heat will pay for it over the years. I live in Vancouver. We use the furnace for 4 months a year, from November to March, and it never goes past March. I'll never recoup that money in savings, but I'll have a furnace that lasts me the rest of the life of the house. My energy-efficient windows prevent my furnace from being overworked in the winter as well, so the heat is not escaping as much.

I only replaced all my lights with LEDs because they are better for my eyes, and I can turn them into Christmas colors :)

It's all a fucking scam.