• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching styles, how does your team do it?

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many of you will remember this game. Back in the 80's, the Chicago Bears were playing and not playing well. I remember Mike Ditka on the sidelines forcefully grabbing his players and telling them in no uncertain terms how they would execute the next plays. He literally willed his team to a victory.

The strength of his personality alone was enough for his players to win that game for him. I always thought the Bears players were much more afraid of Ditka than any opponent they might meet on the field. That was his sideline presence. I have no idea how he was at practice.
Did Singletary try to emulate Ditka in San Fran?

We all watch a lot of games but unless you follow a team in detail, you have no idea about the style or philosophy the coaching staff uses.

Carroll caught a lot of naysayers cause he is a bit weird. The college rah rah gum chewing everything is positive is not the norm in the NFL. The players love him, Golden Tate already said he would take less to stay with this organization.

This being a copy cat league, every winner gets their assistant coaches raided. Teams try to copy the latest flavor.

I haven't seen a chart if there even is one but lots of successful coaches can trace themselves back to a specific coach who was innovative and ahead of the rest of the league. Bill Walsh comes to mind. How many coaches started with him and went on to successful head coaching careers themselves.

I don't put Carroll in the same category as Walsh. Carroll has a different way of interacting with his players. And his focus is defensive technique. Walsh was innovative in the on field plays. Totally changed offenses.

I know little about the rest except Belichick is grumpy and boring and Harbaugh wears his gametime emotions on his sleeve, his arms, his legs and his face. Its actually much more entertaining than being a stiff in a suit like Landry was.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll is a different coach. He seems to get the best out of his players no matter what. In 2010 when he went 7-9 and took the Seahawks to the playoffs then beat the defending champions, he did that with arguably the roster of a 5 win team. Carroll just seems to have an ability to take guys he believes have talent and getting the best out of them. There have been numerous guys that Carroll has plugged in that have been solid for us that didn't do as well outside of Seattle.

There have been times where Carroll's game management has been frustrating and times when there were questionable calls attributed to him, but he is an amazing motivator and it is no exaggeration that he gets the very best performance out of each and every individual.

Carroll has had tons of success with a lot of guys who were overlooked for various reasons (The Bills thought Marshawn Lynch was expendable and traded him for a 4th rounder, Russell Wilson was considered too short, Richard Sherman was considered a WR playing CB who couldn't cover, Kam Chancellor was considered too big to be a SS and wouldn't be able to cover at the NFL level) the list just goes on and on.

Pete Carroll may not be a mastermind but he is visionary. The guy played a 6'3 190 CB (Sherman) and a 6'4 220 CB (Browner) with a 6'3 SS (Chancellor) and a 6'4 340lb DE (Red Bryant). The stuff he has tried with the Seahawks is unheard of in the NFL, and it has worked.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll failed in the NFL twice before this run and both times he felt he had to conform to conventional coaching to give his owners what they wanted.

Going to USC allowed him time to throw that book out and write his own. The results spoke for itself at that school. It resonated with his kids and worked well.

Of course the question was could it translate to the pros and he has answered that one.

What most people remark who know football and get a chance to go inside this organization is how much the team actually enjoys practice and the process of studying film and putting together a plan. You hear about the music and the turnover thursday or other unique practices they run, but when you can get an entire team of overpaid athletes to actually say they look forward to practice it's hard to argue with the results.

Can/should the rest of the NFL start looking into doing things this way? No, or at least not likely. It works for Pete because he is being true to who he is. He tried doing it other peoples ways and it led him to fail miserably. Every coach has to lead their team in a way that keeps them true to who they are or they will seem phony and they will lose their team.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chuck Noll was very stoic, as were the coaches of the day save a guy like Madden. Noll didn't allow the rah-rah stuff. His victories came from what they did in practice during the week and staying on an even keel during the game.

His successor Bill Cowher was quite the opposite. He was always fired up on the sideline and in the locker room and he was great at managing games and the situation.

Mike Tomlin isn't as fired up as Bill and takes a more logical, professional approach to the game. He does a great job of keeping the men focused on task when the wheels come off. This year we started 0-4 and a lot of teams would have folded or collapsed in on themselves but we managed to win 8 of our last 12, or 3 out of every 4. Hell of a strong finish.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Carroll has a lot of naysayers because he's a douchebag.

cheat-forever.jpg

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 out of 12 is not quite 3 out of 4. Almost.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember as a kid seeing Mike Holmgren grab Bill Schroeder and yelling at him because he either made a mistake on a special teams play or ran a wrong route which lead to a turnover. Holmgren was a very fiery guy on the sidelines

I've never seen Mike McCarthy get too irate at a player on the sideline. The most I recall was he and Aaron Rodgers arguing earlier this year, I think it was in the Cincinnati game. McCarthy seems to have the respect of his players. There's never really doubt that guys are playing hard for him. McCarthy is a very good offensive mind, he's very hands on with the offense. I think he's more of a CEO with the defense and just lets Dom Capers do what he needs to do with the defense. I don't know if I'd call McCarthy professorial, but he tends to have a very calm demeanor on the sideline. The most fire I see out of him is at officials, and even then I never really see him go too over the top.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Holmgren on the sidelines trying to get Matt Hasselbeck to understand what he wanted. Only after he benched him did he listen. Holmgren still has a radio show here in Seattle. He is on the Elise and Jerry show as a guest thru the season. Seattle still loves him. On the field he was demanding of his players. In interviews he was a very likable person.
Seattle has a very strong connection to Green Bay. Thank you for John Schneider. Seattle is pretty happy with him too! Got anybody else we can steal?

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rex Ryan is a players coach. Players love playing for him, hes a great motivator, and is a defensive genius. He has came up with some masterful gameplans to contain top offenses. His main problem is questionable game management skills and that this team hasn't found a consistent QB yet. If we could find a quality QB, we would be a year in year out top team in this league. But because we always are around the top in turnovers, we struggle to find consistency.

He finally hired a quality OC that understands passing games. But we have little talent on offense, hopefully they can add more talent and this team can be a threat. They had the talent to have a top 5 pick this year, but Rex is too good of a coach for a team to fall like that.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Holmgren on the sidelines trying to get Matt Hasselbeck to understand what he wanted. Only after he benched him did he listen. Holmgren still has a radio show here in Seattle. He is on the Elise and Jerry show as a guest thru the season. Seattle still loves him. On the field he was demanding of his players. In interviews he was a very likable person.
Seattle has a very strong connection to Green Bay. Thank you for John Schneider. Seattle is pretty happy with him too! Got anybody else we can steal?

Actually Holmgren works for KJR now and is on all of the shows. He isn't the only ex Seahawk that came from somewhere else and ended up staying here after their career was over. We are fortunate to have him and his wife in our community and it is awesome to hear his perspective on things on the radio each week. His stories are incredible.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You guys can have Marshall Newhouse if you want? He's terrible, I mean, terribly good...