• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching rumor thread

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Longhorns coaching search: Vote in the second round of SI.com's bracket | Campus Union - SI.com
Only weird shit is Franklin is leading Saban. I guess a bunch of Bama fans are voting Franklin. I absolutely believe that Franklin would be a mistake.
-------
charlie--If you look at the Texas hires going back to Royal, I don't see any that were "brand" names when they were hired. They all had had experience in rebuilding programs or past ties to Texas or both. While Saban has experience in rebuilding programs, I don't believe he wants as part of his legacy to be "he followed the money trail." Nor do I believe at this stage in his career he wants the headaches of regents/alums that a new job would entail.

What am I saying? I don't think Franklin leads Saban due to Alabama votes, he leads Franklin because most voters now realize Saban ain't leaving. So the vote isn't so much who is the better coach, everyone knows the answer to that one. But rather who does Texas realistically stand a chance of getting.

I'm not suggesting that Texas won't get a "name brand" but I think you can expect Saban to stay where he is.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never written that Saban will leave Bama for Texas. I don't know if his methods will be agreeable to most Longhorns.

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never written that Saban will leave Bama for Texas. I don't know if his methods will be agreeable to most Longhorns.
-------
No, but you comments about "Bama" voting were unthought out and uncalled for.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
No, but you comments about "Bama" voting were unthought out and uncalled for.

Really? You ought to rethink your judgment about others and spend some time thinking before and after you write a post.

kdm1218

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Saben is a good recruiter, but he's more than that. He's also a very savvy and capable coach. What I'm saying is that Saben's offensive style isn't a good fit for Texas. If you look back at the history of UT football, you'll see that the greatest teams have all featured an offense with a running QB. Saben prefers more of a pro-like set with the man under and deep set back - the old stand around style of football that's been around for decades. Sure, it's great when you're athletic enough to simply line up and run over people. Akers tried it. McWilliams tried it. Mack tried it in 2010. They all failed miserably. Texas needs to get back to who there are, who the've been great at being. And, not try to copy something that 'bama is doing.
Mack was also pretty successful with that "old" style of football in his early UT days... ever heard of some of these guys- Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson? Let me guess, you probably became a fan in 2005. Some things in football will never change, and that includes that teams who can run the football we'll sustain success... see Stanford, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. Texas was most successful for long stretches when it could run the ball, and has fallen on hard times in the last few years not having a dominant running game. Victories this year were when we had Gray or Brown over 100.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if anybody has alluded to it or not, but I saw John Gruden state on National TV that he would listen if Texas decided to make an offer...

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? You ought to rethink your judgment about others and spend some time thinking before and after you write a post.
--------
And you quit second guessing what Ala. posters are thinking when casting their votes. The simple fact remains by the time said poll started, Saban was all but out of the picture when it comes to Texas. To accuse 'Bama fans of something you cannot prove is/was unwarranted.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you get it? I was joking! smh

... and really why are on the Longhorn board? No need to answer, I already know.

The poll also has 2 titles. "Who should be the Next Texas Coach?" and "Who will be the Next Texas Coach?" I took it as 'should' and not 'will' and the poll is not to be taken seriously.

... and it's down to Briles versus Harbaugh.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pay sites are claiming Briles and Fisher with Malzahn no longer in the running. I don't know if I trust Texas pay sites anymore though. They haven't been all that credible lately...

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pay sites are claiming Briles and Fisher with Malzahn no longer in the running. I don't know if I trust Texas pay sites anymore though. They haven't been all that credible lately...

Don't pay for any sites, dude. There are too many good free ones.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This concerns the OC position. I get the feeling that it won't be Watson and Wickline sharing the position. It that were the truth it would have been announced by now.
So, it's either a NFL coach whose teams is still in the playoffs(unlikely) or they are negotiating a big buyout.