• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaches should do something they havent done all year in Dallas

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was ever a time for sports writers to snoop in on these sites, right now would be a good time to read this and put it out there for the masses.

I rarely question what the coaches do and why they do it until I see a need to. Right now Im going to go out on a limb and express my opinion about what the Lions should do Sunday. Personally, I've seen and heard enough about the offense not puttng up the points this year. Obviously, its an issue but I perfer to go without blaming Lombardi for it all, as I tend to think its had its difficulties shifting from a Linehan offense to a Lombardi offense.

But maybe the Lions should resort back to the ways of Linehan come Sunday. Im dead serious about this.

Caldwell or any coach for that matter should automatically know it's going to take 30+ to win in Dallas and probably the rest of the playoffs. I dont think the Lions should take the same approach with the offense that they have all year. Its time to open it up and put this game(s) solely on the shoulders of the QB and the high-priced weapons they have at WR and RB.

As crazy as it may sound, I would give Stafford 50+ pass attempts and run as little as possible. Bell and Bush would be underneath, in the flats or out wide all game long. Theo Riddick would also be in that mix and used quite often. Brandon Pettigrew would also be a big part of the game plan, as I think he's the forgotten man and could do some damage given the chance in a game like this. I would give him more looks than Ebron, honestly. The Lions should come out very up-tempo and never slow the game down unless they build a commanding lead.

I think doing a large amount of passing gives us the best chance here. While our run game has been decent, I think we need more.

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, I have wondered how the Lions would be if Scott Linehan were still calling the plays with how well the defense has performed this year...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, I have wondered how the Lions would be if Scott Linehan were still calling the plays with how well the defense has performed this year...
:10::agree:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was ever a time for sports writers to snoop in on these sites, right now would be a good time to read this and put it out there for the masses.

I don't think NFL coaches use ideas from sports writers who get their ideas from message board fanatics but good luck getting noticed.

Caldwell runs a very conservative offense designed to keep games close. He loves to pound the rock. This style got him 11 wins in 16 tries. Don't see him changing it up now that it's playoff time.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea for the simple fact that Bell is a fumbling machine. Desperately need RB help in 2015.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how I know Caldwell and Lombardi are idiots: at no point in watching film of this team in the last 3 years, could you go "this is definitely an offense built to be a power running, ball control offense". Yet that's what they have turned us into(unsuccessfully).

I agree 100% Stop. If Lombardi wants to redeem himself, hell need to open up the offense and use quick developing plays. Use Tate. Use Riddick earlier. Stop this dumb shit of running a goal line offense off the goal line and telling the defense we're about to run strong side.

Go out guns blazing and give us a chance.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions offense has done its best work this year when facing cover-2 defenses. Doesn't Dallas run that?

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I first read this thread title....
My original thought was, maybe going no huddle/passing attack. Pretty close. I actually don't mind Stafford throwing 50 times a game on the fact that he is a streaky QB who needs volume to get into a rhythm. Gotta be quick hitters though with that sorry ass O-line.

I would still like to see them go no-huddle in the first quarter, throw teams off and get the others teams defense worn out.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should come out running the wing-T. Dallas will no be prepared for that at all, guaranteed.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Base,

I didnt really mean that I want the message to get back ton the team. I just know sports writer steal stuff from these types of boards all the time and I would love to see this topic thrown out there.

I know Caldwell and company wont change anything but to me, they need to go into Dallas and play to thier greatest strengths. Bell or Bush will not win this game for us on the ground, it has to be through the air. Im sure Dallas would love if we continued tto try to run the ball.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No-huddle is a good idea Rolling.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how I know Caldwell and Lombardi are idiots: at no point in watching film of this team in the last 3 years, could you go "this is definitely an offense built to be a power running, ball control offense". Yet that's what they have turned us into(unsuccessfully).

I agree 100% Stop. If Lombardi wants to redeem himself, hell need to open up the offense and use quick developing plays. Use Tate. Use Riddick earlier. Stop this dumb shit of running a goal line offense off the goal line and telling the defense we're about to run strong side.

Actually that happens quite often in football.

Three types on coaches.

Bottom Barrel- Ones that "have a system". Players must conform (easy to game plan against, never mix it up) (Marinelli)

Good- Have certain star players they game plan to get the ball/ Scheme to their players strengths (mix it up according to their own players, bendable, sometimes don't make adjustments when needed however, halftime for example) (Tomlin)

Great- Game plan strictly on opponent played (always mixes it up, hard to read or game plan against, flows like water, makes adjustments at halftime based on what the other team shows.) (Belicheck)

K

kengel6

Any plans for using a "quick-kick" approach? Aim for the scoreboard and piss Jerry off.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we should onside kick every chance and punt everything out of bounds.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you assholes- wing fucking T! They'll never see it coming. Time to unleash Srtafford's wheels on the world, we've kept it secret long enough...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we should onside kick every chance and punt everything out of bounds.

I thin Martin needs to punt it about 50 yards straight up and drop it into the crowd of linemen all piled up trying to rush the punter. That worked pretty slick last time.

Alternately they can try a play we used often in high school. Instead of punting the ball, Martin instead throws it as far down the field at the gunners as he can. As soon as that ball is airborne any contact the blockers make on the gunners (a.k.a. receivers) is pass interference or illegal contact. Automatic first down.

K

kengel6

Can Staff throw the ball 50 times? If yes. then "fuckin' A bubba". Heavy that pill Matthew.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any plans for using a "quick-kick" approach? Aim for the scoreboard and piss Jerry off.

QuickKickMOSCAFA1a.jpg

This Quick Kick?? ;)

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might get what you want LionsTop. They start slow as they have most of the year and Cowboys churn out some long drives or quick scores like they have been doing as of late. Lombardi would have to abandon the run game. At least you would think him and Caldwell would.

Pretty sure we will see Bush between the tackles 3 or 4 times in first few drives though. Knowing full well Carr could not contain CJ last time they meet.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I made a statement about Bush a few games ago. Had a few guys defending him. They are right that he is more dynamic in open space than Riddick. Just seemed Riddick was having a great impact during Bush's absence. Not sure it was Reggie was not 100% yet when he came back? The offense seemed to start clicking those few games with Riddick as the outlet guy and in the slot. Then it starting sputtering again when Bush came back.
Maybe I am just not a huge Bush fan and want to see more Theo. It seemed what plays Riddick had were always huge plays.