• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaches Film: Rams Game

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in my opinion I think both with Smith and with Kaepernick the receivers have demonstrated the ability to get open on a pretty regular basis, and the offensive line and protection has broken down a few times with both QBs too. Like I said before, I think it just stood out a little more this time because CK makes a little extra something out of these breakdowns that probably would have been quick sacks with Smith.

In trying to keep a "glass is half full" mindset, one of the positives I've noticed when the O-Line disengages from easy blocks, allowing defenders to run full tilt at CK, is that CK still keeps an eye looking down the field as he scrambles.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen similar issues with the offensive line and blocking before, if you remember the Packer game I showed a play where Kyle Williams was open and Smith saw him but Bruce Miller just let Woodson go for no good reason and he sacked Smith.

In the Vikings game that same weird thing where a guy could have easily blocked the defensive player who eventually disrupted the QB happened on the overthrown pass to Moss in the endzone. Boone just let the guy go to block nobody and he got in Smith's face and he missed Moss. Similar to Staley just letting his guy go to block nobody in this thread.

These are just two off the top of my head where I noticed the O-Line and other blockers didn't do Smith any favors, there were probably others but I think it just jumps out at me now because of how CK is better at escaping that first rusher, a lot of these plays here might have ended much sooner as a sack if Smith were QB.

If I took a closer look on some of the playcalling with Smith, I bet Roman screwed him on 3rd down a few times too. I just didn't notice that before and I wasn't really looking either. This was the first time after a game that I felt the playcalling was bad, so I guess I looked for it this time.

So in my opinion I think both with Smith and with Kaepernick the receivers have demonstrated the ability to get open on a pretty regular basis, and the offensive line and protection has broken down a few times with both QBs too. Like I said before, I think it just stood out a little more this time because CK makes a little extra something out of these breakdowns that probably would have been quick sacks with Smith.

Thanks, I enjoy reading your analyses because I feel they are fair, not knee-jerk, pretty thurough, and give a good perspective on our Niners. Don't mean to give you a compliment by putting down others, but there are so many people who can't say something good about one QB without directly putting down the other (and I'm not simply talking about calling one better meaning the other, by default, is worse).

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, something just came to mind: I remember reading a lot earlier in the year on how Roman would call 2 plays down to Smith, the designed play & a backup play so that Alex could audible depending on what the defense showed him pre-snap.

So, the question that just popped into my head is "how much of that is the same with CK7 as QB?" I remember reading before Kaep's first start that Gore might wear a playsheet on his arm as a means to help out his young QB, but I didn't think of it much at the time & was unable to watch last week's Ram's game, so I haven't had an opportunity to focus on Kaep's pre-snap reads.

Perhaps some of the odd play calling (of late) has something to do with growing pains of a young QB learning how to read NFL defenses?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mossopen.png

Mossopen2.png

I feel like CK missed a TD to Randy here, the 49ers eventually got the FG though. This was that designed roll-out play to the right that was meant to trick the defense and throw the ball back across the field to VD. The Rams didn't bite and CK just sailed it 20 yards out of bounds because VD never got open. Too bad he didn't check other options to see Moss behind the defense in the endzone.

I don't believe the passing lane is open in this picture as it stands, but I'm pretty sure that with all of those 9ers between him and the Rams and the entire endzone open, eventually there would have been a lane to get Moss an easy TD.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MossinOT.png

This stood out to me in OT, the one time the 49ers did pass down field the Moss effect would have made it a pretty easy catch for VD if CK didn't throw it long. The blue arrow is the ball, and the Ram with the yellow arrow only pealed off Moss because the ball was on the way to VD.

3rdand19OT.png

This was 3rd and 19 in OT, and it doesn't exactly show in the picture unless you watch the play unfold but this was a give up play by Roman. CK had the ball out and to Manningham in less than 2 seconds, and every other WR was looking for a quick pass too. They weren't even trying to pick up 1st down, which I gotta say is total bullshit in OT. I guess they were worried about CK trying to force it and throwing an INT and putting the Rams in instant FG range, so I get why they did it... but whatever, I don't like the play not to lose mentality.

Giveup3rddown.png

This was the 3rd and 7 before Akers missed the FG that would have won the game. Another give-up formation if you ask me. That stupid formation where VD lines up at RT, Anthony Davis at LT and Staley at TE. Eventually #27 got over to man up Walker, so with only Crabtree and Walker going out as receivers and 3 Rams in coverage, of course CK had to throw it away after shockingly Crabs and Walker didn't get open.

I can sort of understand giving up on 3rd and 19 in Rams territory, but giving up on 3rd and 7 on your side of the Field is pathetic. That is shameful, that is Singletary ball.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MossinOT.png

This stood out to me in OT, the one time the 49ers did pass down field the Moss effect would have made it a pretty easy catch for VD if CK didn't throw it long. The blue arrow is the ball, and the Ram with the yellow arrow only pealed off Moss because the ball was on the way to VD.

3rdand19OT.png

This was 3rd and 19 in OT, and it doesn't exactly show in the picture unless you watch the play unfold but this was a give up play by Roman. CK had the ball out and to Manningham in less than 2 seconds, and every other WR was looking for a quick pass too. They weren't even trying to pick up 1st down, which I gotta say is total bullshit in OT. I guess they were worried about CK trying to force it and throwing an INT and putting the Rams in instant FG range, so I get why they did it... but whatever, I don't like the play not to lose mentality.

Giveup3rddown.png

This was the 3rd and 7 before Akers missed the FG that would have won the game. Another give-up formation if you ask me. That stupid formation where VD lines up at RT, Anthony Davis at LT and Staley at TE. Eventually #27 got over to man up Walker, so with only Crabtree and Walker going out as receivers and 3 Rams in coverage, of course CK had to throw it away after shockingly Crabs and Walker didn't get open.

I can sort of understand giving up on 3rd and 19 in Rams territory, but giving up on 3rd and 7 on your side of the Field is pathetic. That is shameful, that is Singletary ball.

Did Kaep run a roll out on that play and was looking for either one and they wernt open so he threw it out of bounds?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, something just came to mind: I remember reading a lot earlier in the year on how Roman would call 2 plays down to Smith, the designed play & a backup play so that Alex could audible depending on what the defense showed him pre-snap.

So, the question that just popped into my head is "how much of that is the same with CK7 as QB?" I remember reading before Kaep's first start that Gore might wear a playsheet on his arm as a means to help out his young QB, but I didn't think of it much at the time & was unable to watch last week's Ram's game, so I haven't had an opportunity to focus on Kaep's pre-snap reads.

Perhaps some of the odd play calling (of late) has something to do with growing pains of a young QB learning how to read NFL defenses?

I am pretty sure that they said Colin is running the same offense, Roman is calling down two plays and then CK is deciding at the line which one to go with the same way Smith did. I haven't felt that CK has struggled with that part of it, I don't think he is as good at that as Smith was, but I haven't felt like it has hurt the productivity. The stuff in the Rams game is a bit different cause they'd stack the box and look like they are coming, and then drop 7 in coverage... that sort of stuff messes with veterans too.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Kaep run a roll out on that play and was looking for either one and they wernt open so he threw it out of bounds?

Yeah, I guess it was a roll-out since he immediately starting going backwards and to his left and everyone was giving up ground in that direction in order to shift the pocket. I think the Rams did a good job of penetrating and not allowing the play to be ran the way the 49ers wanted to... but, I really don't like the idea of having only 2 receiver options on a 3rd and 7 passing play. That was essentially a goalline play on the 33 yard line.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I guess it was a roll-out since he immediately starting going backwards and to his left and everyone was giving up ground in that direction in order to shift the pocket. I think the Rams did a good job of penetrating and not allowing the play to be ran the way the 49ers wanted to... but, I really don't like the idea of having only 2 receiver options on a 3rd and 7 passing play. That was essentially a goalline play on the 33 yard line.

I hated that play so much. I was cussing up a storm in the stands lol. If they were going to do that they might as well should of just ran it for a couple yards

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mossopen.png

Mossopen2.png

I feel like CK missed a TD to Randy here, the 49ers eventually got the FG though. This was that designed roll-out play to the right that was meant to trick the defense and throw the ball back across the field to VD. The Rams didn't bite and CK just sailed it 20 yards out of bounds because VD never got open. Too bad he didn't check other options to see Moss behind the defense in the endzone.

I don't believe the passing lane is open in this picture as it stands, but I'm pretty sure that with all of those 9ers between him and the Rams and the entire endzone open, eventually there would have been a lane to get Moss an easy TD.

How does he not see Moss there? Geez!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does he not see Moss there? Geez!

I don't blame him for not seeing him there, but I also can see why Alex didn't see Moss in the Seattle game until too late. Our views are different that his, even when you get the best view. I know my approach doesn't leave much room for any criticism, so I respect your opinion. Kaep is learning and I give the benefit of the doubt to both QBs over any of us.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for three - I've noticed you on this thread noting how Kaep really isn't to blame

I was accused of this when Smith was the QB too, the first few times I posted stills of All-22 and Endzone film, when I showed that the O-Line let a rusher go for inexplicable reasons... and Smith missed the TD pass, or open pass... people said I was making excuses for Alex

Not directed at you, but from where I'm standing... It's pretty fucking weird to be accused of defending Smith and CK just because I tried to explain why they didn't play better.

I'm not making excuses for either of them, I was just trying to shine the spotlight on possible explanations for things not working out the way they should have (or could have) in a perfect world... and bottom line, just my opinion... nothing concrete

Last edited by a moderator:

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mossopen.png

Mossopen2.png

where does the other safety on the 5 end up on that play?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where does the other safety on the 5 end up on that play?

you can see from the endzone pic (the 2nd one) that he is already committing to VD crossing, he is changing directions to follow, you can see it in the position of his body, he is planting to cut back and follow... left leg extended and right leg buckled, he is going to his right, he is changing directions

that entire 1/3 of the endzone is open for Moss...

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was accused of this when Smith was the QB too, the first few times I posted stills of All-22 and Endzone film, when I showed that the O-Line let a rusher go for inexplicable reasons... and Smith missed the TD pass, or open pass... people said I was making excuses for Alex

Not directed at you, but from where I'm standing... It's pretty fucking weird to be accused of defending Smith and CK just because I tried to explain why they didn't play better.

I'm not making excuses for either of them, I was just trying to shine the spotlight on possible explanations for things not working out the way they should have (or could have) in a perfect world... and bottom line, just my opinion... nothing concrete

I'm sorry if you took it as a back-handed compliment or something, but I was trying to say how you were even handed with both QBs and thus qualified to compare the surrounding play of their supporting cast. Since you had watched so much film and were objective, I thought that would minimize the bias that people must avoid when making their evaluations. I didn't mean to imply that your observations were excuses. The fact is, football is the ultimate team sport and all QBs and WRs are dependant upon others to some degree more than say, Kobe Bryant on an isolation play. Plus, if any player needs to be defended, defend them! As long as you apply it fairly and logically, I don't see the problem.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mossopen.png

Mossopen2.png

that fs looked to be in good position if he throws that ball to Moss.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:tinfoil3: Conspiracy theory - both Roman, Davis, and Staley want Smith back as the quarterback. Being Smith's BFF, Staley's whiffing blocks for no apparent reason. Having the Smith Davis connection since 2009, with a little drop off this season, Davis drops the only target he got in the Saints game. Being more risk adverse and not fully going with Kaep, Roman is calling his worst plays right after Kaep is given the job without medical issues with Smith... just kidding, I don't believe any of that.

:boom:

Haha you got me. I didn't look at your name before reading your post & almost immediately I was thinking to myself "This post is out there... even for TobyTyler/NolanNonsense."

Ha. I added Davis in there last minute, thus the grammatical error of using the word "both" to describe three people's actions and forgot to fix it. I thought someone "out there" could wonder about Staley whiffing because he actually is a BFF with Alex who has spoken out to coach - but to add to the fake conspiracy, if you watch after the toss fumble, he looks like he's smiling/laughing (he's really just fidgetting with his mouthguard with his teeth or stunned). But I thought no one could believe that the "I will be the best TE all-time" Davis would drop a ball on purpose. Obviously, the Roman one was even farther out.

Further fake evidence of the conspiracy. [49ers News] 49ers Assistant Greg Roman, QB Alex Smith Might Be A Package Deal This Offseason? - GridironFans.com

Harbaugh went out of his way to let everyone know that Roman called the play, to lower his chances of becoming a head coach next season. And he benched Alex to lower his appeal so that Roman couldn't take him with him and make a good first impression if he got a HC job. If you're keeping track, I'm still not serious about this.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that fs looked to be in good position if he throws that ball to Moss.

I know, if you notice I said that I don't think the passing lane is open in the pictures. I was saying that with a 49er to block every Ram in the area, he could have had time to let Moss get to the corner of the endzone. To me, it looks like the safety is planting to follow VD across the field.... opening up a lot of space.