• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach Saban wasn't that great...

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama can take good to average head coaches and turn them into great head coaches.
Oklahoma can take assistant coaches who have never been head coaches and turn them into great head coaches.

It's weird how that works.
I'm going to guess that I, and other OSU fans, will be thanking you for Kevin Wilson.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's it. Everytime Trustme says the same damn stupid thing over and over again, you shall receive a Michigan-doing-great-things GIFt. :salute:

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like said -- Saban is a great coach...........in the SEC. Take away the built in advantages the SEC provides and he is 0-3 in bowl games (losing by an avg of 21+ per game), has a losing record in the NFL before quitting and was a mediocre B1G coach.
giphy.gif

Reactions: TJL

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first I thought a Gator fan made this thread to distract us from the fact that their coach fucks sharks.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting is only a part of college football, which is why you see the merry go round of coaching changes. The jump from job to job to get to the richest schools in the best areas of the country to bring in the best players.

It is why there are only a handful of teams with any shot of winning a NC each and every year. You won't hear me argue one bit that Saban is the best recruiter in college football, but that comes with a school handing him a blank check and allowing him to spend more on recruiting analysts than some schools have for their entire football budget. It is why I laugh when people commented about Michigan hiring recruiting analysts, when Bama has 3 times the amount of recruiting analysts.

And I hate to break it to you. What sets Saban apart is his recruiting prowess and his cut throat approach to handling his roster. I laugh at some Bama fans when they try to say Bama players suddenly started getting career ending injuries like never seen before in the history of CFB -- in reality, he was trimming the fat to open up scholarships (both Urban and Harbaugh stole that from him). He was the first guy to start finding loopholes in recruiting rules and would flood HS's 'bumping into' top recruits in dead periods to gain advantages.

I think Saban is a genius in the recruiting game and think he is a very good coach. His record outside the advantages the SEC provides tells me his greatness is tied to the SEC. He took a .500 team at MSU and after 4 years, they were still a .500 team. He had one solid year and jumped ship. He went to the NFL and went 9-7 to 6-10 and realized he was just going to be another coach and went right back to where he had those advantages.

When your recruiting class has been ranked #1 overall for the past decade -- it makes you a great recruiter with the most talented team, by a landslide in CFB. As I said -- it'd be like saying Steve Kerr is best coach in the NBA if GS wins multiple titles or Tyronn Lue is a great coach because Lebron ok'd him to be the HC.
THE-MORTIFIED-PUNTER1.gif

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can I answer? College is all about who can collect the most talent. No one does it better than Alabama. Alabama is located in the middle of the richest recruiting ground in the country. The state of Alabama has produced more 5 star recruits in the last 5 years than states like Washington and Michigan ever have combined.

Bama fans confuse coaching with recruiting. Saban is the best recruiter in college football, with Urban Meyer being the only guy even in the same ballpark. I think Saban is a very good coach, but what makes him great is the advantages the SEC provides. He was a middle of the road coach in the B1G and jumped ship after two years when he finally had a chance to coach on a level playing field in the NFL, to go right back to his built in advantages.

Think of it like this -- it'd be like saying Tyronn Lue was the best coach in the NBA because he had the team Lebron built. Or Steve Kerr is the best coach in the NBA because Golden State has 5 all-stars.

College football is all about collecting talent. It is why you see the roster turnover on the best teams and finding ways to skirt the rules in recruiting or to open up roster spots. It isn't terribly hard to understand.
michigan-michigan-state1.gif

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's it. Everytime Trustme says the same damn stupid thing over and over again, you shall receive a Michigan-doing-great-things GIFt. :salute:

81zMtcC.gif

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to wrap my head around why 1980?

This is the second time I've had to explain this on this same thread...

I was only messing with 4down20 because he told the story of growing up shooting doves in a corn field where he supposedly heard the game on radio every year while Bama beat LSU. Then he stated that before Saban came to Bama, Bama was beating LSU every year.

I proved that wrong. That was all I was doing. breaking his balls a bit...

You god damn Bama tards take shit too seriously when talk turns to that little midget....:gaah:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm -- CFP has been around for 3 years. Last I checked, the B1G has the same number of national championships as the SEC in that time.

Meanwhile, Michigan can't finish better than 3rd in your own division and has to pump up your biggest rival to claim relevance.

Awesome IMO.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting is only a part of college football, which is why you see the merry go round of coaching changes. The jump from job to job to get to the richest schools in the best areas of the country to bring in the best players.

It is why there are only a handful of teams with any shot of winning a NC each and every year. You won't hear me argue one bit that Saban is the best recruiter in college football, but that comes with a school handing him a blank check and allowing him to spend more on recruiting analysts than some schools have for their entire football budget. It is why I laugh when people commented about Michigan hiring recruiting analysts, when Bama has 3 times the amount of recruiting analysts.

And I hate to break it to you. What sets Saban apart is his recruiting prowess and his cut throat approach to handling his roster. I laugh at some Bama fans when they try to say Bama players suddenly started getting career ending injuries like never seen before in the history of CFB -- in reality, he was trimming the fat to open up scholarships (both Urban and Harbaugh stole that from him). He was the first guy to start finding loopholes in recruiting rules and would flood HS's 'bumping into' top recruits in dead periods to gain advantages.

I think Saban is a genius in the recruiting game and think he is a very good coach. His record outside the advantages the SEC provides tells me his greatness is tied to the SEC. He took a .500 team at MSU and after 4 years, they were still a .500 team. He had one solid year and jumped ship. He went to the NFL and went 9-7 to 6-10 and realized he was just going to be another coach and went right back to where he had those advantages.

When your recruiting class has been ranked #1 overall for the past decade -- it makes you a great recruiter with the most talented team, by a landslide in CFB. As I said -- it'd be like saying Steve Kerr is best coach in the NBA if GS wins multiple titles or Tyronn Lue is a great coach because Lebron ok'd him to be the HC.
Wow, its amazing you stated alot of what i did, but put a personal spin on it. MSU was a nowhere school in a conference ruled by two schools at the time. Saban knew he would never build MSU into more than it was or currently is, an also ran on the B1G. Sorry, but thts a plain outright fact. tOSU and Michigan are the top names in the B1G and this wont change, so out recruiting those schools is a job at best. Smart coaches go where they can carve a nitch or make a name for themselves. This has been happening since ime began, so its not shocking Saban bolted to a location he could get good players. He took a team that had been shit for several years and turned it around pretty quickly, thats coaching.

His NFL stint has no part in this as its two different animals and depends on too many factors at hat level. Talent on the team, salary cap, general manager, trades, cap room on existing players, etc. He still did fair in comparison to Belichik at Cleveland, and i think we can both agree Belichik is a great NFL coach. Given similar circumstances, Saban could have done as well given enough time, likely not with ttitles, but wins and losses. It takes time in the NFL to learn the nuances at that level and college coaches dont always thrive there.

As for Recruiting only being part, I addressed how he is a great coach in other ways as well. His early record at a school that was an also ran means shit to his being a great coach today, save one instance. That instnce is he learned from his mistakes early on to become a better coach. You name me another coach who has transformed his team from a pro style run first team, to a west coast style offense and not missed a beat. You show me a coach who can year in and out have high coaching turnover and always seem to come out smelling like a rose. Its not easy being a great coach, but he makes it look easy.

And i hate to tell you, but bending rules without breaking them, is also a hallmark of great coaches. They have all done it and will continue, so this is not a trait unique to Saban.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first I thought a Gator fan made this thread to distract us from the fact that their coach fucks sharks.
You're just jealous that Jimbo doesn't fuck aquatic life. And isn't the OP an FSU fan?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the second time I've had to explain this on this same thread...

I was only messing with 4down20 because he told the story of growing up shooting doves in a corn field where he supposedly heard the game on radio every year while Bama beat LSU. Then he stated that before Saban came to Bama, Bama was beating LSU every year.

I proved that wrong. That was all I was doing. breaking his balls a bit...

You god damn Bama tards take shit too seriously when talk turns to that little midget....:gaah:
I am not 4d20 and I am simply trying to get clarification on why 1980. 1980 is in the run of 11 straight for Bama dating back to 1971 season. In fact prior to 1980, Bama was 29 -10 - 4 over LSU from 1895 to 1979. Seems like 4d20 wasnt totally wrong, depending on how old he is. I personally have been a Bama fan since 1966 and have seen 34 Bama wins versus 17 losses to them purple tiggers.

Notice I am not defending Saban in any of this, I am defending my Alma Mater. So call me what you wish, but Bama owns them Tiggers and has long before Saban took the reigns at Bama. In fact, Bear Bryant lost only 4 times to LSU from 1958 until 1982, posting a 16 - 4 record over those Tiggers. When you talk about Bama in general, I will bring facts to show we own the SEC, and truthfully, most schools in general. very few can boast a winning record over Bama. ND, Texas, And the damn Sooners are three I can name off the top of my head.

NickyNooch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you believed Bowden?

The year we won our first national championship (1993), our strength of schedule was higher ranked than any SEC team in the country.
College Football 1993 Ranking of Schedule

So it's safe to say, no one should read much into that quote.

Bowden is a complimentary guy. He was giving the SEC a compliment, and being modest. He does that.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can I answer? College is all about who can collect the most talent. No one does it better than Alabama. Alabama is located in the middle of the richest recruiting ground in the country. The state of Alabama has produced more 5 star recruits in the last 5 years than states like Washington and Michigan ever have combined.

Bama fans confuse coaching with recruiting. Saban is the best recruiter in college football, with Urban Meyer being the only guy even in the same ballpark. I think Saban is a very good coach, but what makes him great is the advantages the SEC provides. He was a middle of the road coach in the B1G and jumped ship after two years when he finally had a chance to coach on a level playing field in the NFL, to go right back to his built in advantages.

Think of it like this -- it'd be like saying Tyronn Lue was the best coach in the NBA because he had the team Lebron built. Or Steve Kerr is the best coach in the NBA because Golden State has 5 all-stars.

College football is all about collecting talent. It is why you see the roster turnover on the best teams and finding ways to skirt the rules in recruiting or to open up roster spots. It isn't terribly hard to understand.

Wrong again ThrustMe. You might want to do your homework before you straddle Harbaugh's cock again.California,Texas, Florida and Georgia still produce nearly half of the nation's blue-chip players. Saban has only signed 14 5-stars from the State of Alabama in 11 recruiting classes. One of those never contributed due to injury, basically 1 per year.

All 50 states, ranked by their number of elite college football recruits

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban has created the perfect recipe for fielding a championship football caliber team every year. It starts with recruiting. He schedules neutral site games in BIG recruiting areas, and seems to land 4* - 5* talent from all over the Southeast (among other regions, but his bread and butter seems to be the southeast). He then spends HUGE amounts of money on coaches. Brings in the best guys that he can find. When their success becomes too much to keep them at Bama, he goes out and finds more.

He will likely go down as the greatest of all time, and if he has any type of success the next 3-5 years, he will likely have a few untouchable records as well.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile, Michigan can't finish better than 3rd in your own division and has to pump up your biggest rival to claim relevance.

Awesome IMO.

Not pumping anyone up. The statement was that the B1G was mediocre and you stated how the B1G had been shutout in two years.

I just stated a fact. The B1G, ACC and SEC are all tied with one CFP title.

I also stated how the mediocre B1G finished with 4 teams in the top 10 of the final CFB poll, while the SEC had..............one.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not pumping anyone up. The statement was that the B1G was mediocre and you stated how the B1G had been shutout in two years.

I just stated a fact. The B1G, ACC and SEC are all tied with one CFP title.

I also stated how the mediocre B1G finished with 4 teams in the top 10 of the final CFB poll, while the SEC had..............one.
DAMN,who coached the one SEC team that finished in the top 10 last year? Who is the SEC coach that won the title the previous year? Who is the SEC coach who's team has been to the playoffs each of the first 3 years of its existence? Is it just luck, coincidence or coaching that has one name pop up all three times when answering those questions? I think you know the answer.