• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach Saban wasn't that great...

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the basic premise of the title "coach saban wasnt that great".

I don't maybe he wasn't that great ... he sure is now. If I am Alabama, I would not trade him for any other coach.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC was mediocre too, never said otherwise. Bama was still elite and did it with an 18 yr old QB while others had more draft picks than anyone and couldn't do better than 3rd..... in their own division... in a mediocre conference... and followed it up with a bowl loss. Some coaches do big things and win big games, some have sleepovers and a big Twitter game.

Hmmmm if the B1G and the SEC were both mediocre. What do you call the rest of the conferences?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No jackass ....You said you remembered when you were a kid in a corn field shooting doves and listening to Alabama beat LSU every year. I proved that that didn't happen with the fucking matchups from the beginning of the 80s....It was 14-13.

So fuck off you dumb motherfucking Harvey Updike motherfucker that thinks he is a badass because a team of a school he never attended had some success lately.

You really are a dick...
Trying to wrap my head around why 1980? what is the series record all time? isnt it 51 - 25- 5? who has the 51 wins? seems like a cherry picker was brought in to compile some hand picked stats. Here's a hint for those that dont know why, Bear was on his way out and Bama was on its way down aside from a few good years...until Saban stepped on the campus, then greatness was starting to be restored.

LSU is a good football team now, but some of that includes wht Saban did for your program to put it in the National spotlight because before him that spotlight hit your team rarely.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would call the SEC not having their #1 team shut out in the playoffs 2 consecutive years.

Hmmm -- CFP has been around for 3 years. Last I checked, the B1G has the same number of national championships as the SEC in that time.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys getting drafted did their job. The majority were on defense and they gave up 3 points in regulation to OSU and 10 to Iowa.

It was the guy behind center who killed UM, not the guys drafted.

That being said, I will continue to laugh at the Saban fan club as they defend a guy with 0 bowl wins (0-3), 0 divisions or conference titles (0-7) and 0 playoff appearances (0-2) outside the SEC.
Isn't Harbaugh 0-6 for division or conference titles in a real conference, 0-2 for playoff appearances?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, next you'll be telling us that Bo Schicklgruber or whatever his name was, was a better coach than Bear Bryant.

...and wasn't Toledo the MAC co-champ in 1990, or have Michigan fans finally quit recognizing bullshit co-championships? *cough**cough* 1997 *cough**cough*.

Like said -- Saban is a great coach...........in the SEC. Take away the built in advantages the SEC provides and he is 0-3 in bowl games (losing by an avg of 21+ per game), has a losing record in the NFL before quitting and was a mediocre B1G coach.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Harbaugh 0-6 for division or conference titles in a real conference, 0-2 for playoff appearances?

The playoff appearances I was speaking of for Saban was at Miami.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like said -- Saban is a great coach...........in the SEC. Take away the built in advantages the SEC provides and he is 0-3 in bowl games (losing by an avg of 21+ per game), has a losing record in the NFL before quitting and was a mediocre B1G coach.
:yawning:
11821769.gif

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If coaches like Chris Peterson, Steve Spurrier, Tom Osborne or even Jim Harbaugh had that talent every year like Saban in Tuscaloosa...BAMA would be on a 10 time National Championship run.

Saban didn't build the house of the best college football program in the country, he just managed it very well.
So what stops or stopped those coaches from doing it where they were/are. Clearly Nebraska had money, so does Michigan, so does Washington, so does Florida. If money is the only deciding factor and they are better coaches, why not where they were? must be another factor involved, wonder if you can figure out what that factor is and let me clue you in, Bama was on the skids when Saban took it over. My guess is the truth could fall on you like a ton of bricks and you still wouldnt see it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what stops or stopped those coaches from doing it where they were/are. Clearly Nebraska had money, so does Michigan, so does Washington, so does Florida. If money is the only deciding factor and they are better coaches, why not where they were? must be another factor involved, wonder if you can figure out what that factor is and let me clue you in, Bama was on the skids when Saban took it over. My guess is the truth could fall on you like a ton of bricks and you still wouldnt see it.

Can I answer? College is all about who can collect the most talent. No one does it better than Alabama. Alabama is located in the middle of the richest recruiting ground in the country. The state of Alabama has produced more 5 star recruits in the last 5 years than states like Washington and Michigan ever have combined.

Bama fans confuse coaching with recruiting. Saban is the best recruiter in college football, with Urban Meyer being the only guy even in the same ballpark. I think Saban is a very good coach, but what makes him great is the advantages the SEC provides. He was a middle of the road coach in the B1G and jumped ship after two years when he finally had a chance to coach on a level playing field in the NFL, to go right back to his built in advantages.

Think of it like this -- it'd be like saying Tyronn Lue was the best coach in the NBA because he had the team Lebron built. Or Steve Kerr is the best coach in the NBA because Golden State has 5 all-stars.

College football is all about collecting talent. It is why you see the roster turnover on the best teams and finding ways to skirt the rules in recruiting or to open up roster spots. It isn't terribly hard to understand.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can I answer? College is all about who can collect the most talent. No one does it better than Alabama. Alabama is located in the middle of the richest recruiting ground in the country. The state of Alabama has produced more 5 star recruits in the last 5 years than states like Washington and Michigan ever have combined.

Bama fans confuse coaching with recruiting. Saban is the best recruiter in college football, with Urban Meyer being the only guy even in the same ballpark. I think Saban is a very good coach, but what makes him great is the advantages the SEC provides. He was a middle of the road coach in the B1G and jumped ship after two years when he finally had a chance to coach on a level playing field in the NFL, to go right back to his built in advantages.

Think of it like this -- it'd be like saying Tyronn Lue was the best coach in the NBA because he had the team Lebron built. Or Steve Kerr is the best coach in the NBA because Golden State has 5 all-stars.

College football is all about collecting talent. It is why you see the roster turnover on the best teams and finding ways to skirt the rules in recruiting or to open up roster spots. It isn't terribly hard to understand.
Recruiting is part of coaching. Its an intangible that is often overlooked, but its part of the coaching job and is why he is a great coach, not above average or average. Yes Alabama is a talent rich area, but Saban reaches across the US to get talent as well. He doesnt shop in one store, he looks at talent in other teams back yards as well, and plucks them from under the noses of some great coaches.He also doesnt mind taking in project coaches that need a bot of rehabbing of their identity or career, such as Kiffin, Sarkisian et al.

Talent can make or break a coach, but too much talent can be as hard an act to juggle as no talent or limited talent. I have posted this before, its hard to take a group of 5 star players who were all starts on their team, and reduce them all to team players for the process, not stars. Saban has done his year in and out without much fail. His one team that could have won it all that failed was 2010 and those players did not yield to the team concept early enough and got hit with a couple of losses that derailed that very talented team. 2011 saw a rebirth of the team mentality for most of the same "me" players and they came back stronger than ever.The difference in 2010 and 2011 was mental, and Saban is why they can juggle so many ego's and still field a team able to beat most any team on any Saturday.

I laugh at comments like the OP made because what sets Saban apart is he can spot talent both in players and coaches, and he surrounds himself with that talent on both sides. That makes him a great coach, because he see's every side of that coin and is able to use them to his advantage.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama can take good to average head coaches and turn them into great head coaches.
Oklahoma can take assistant coaches who have never been head coaches and turn them into great head coaches.

It's weird how that works.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting is part of coaching. Its an intangible that is often overlooked, but its part of the coaching job and is why he is a great coach, not above average or average. Yes Alabama is a talent rich area, but Saban reaches across the US to get talent as well. He doesnt shop in one store, he looks at talent in other teams back yards as well, and plucks them from under the noses of some great coaches.He also doesnt mind taking in project coaches that need a bot of rehabbing of their identity or career, such as Kiffin, Sarkisian et al.

Talent can make or break a coach, but too much talent can be as hard an act to juggle as no talent or limited talent. I have posted this before, its hard to take a group of 5 star players who were all starts on their team, and reduce them all to team players for the process, not stars. Saban has done his year in and out without much fail. His one team that could have won it all that failed was 2010 and those players did not yield to the team concept early enough and got hit with a couple of losses that derailed that very talented team. 2011 saw a rebirth of the team mentality for most of the same "me" players and they came back stronger than ever.The difference in 2010 and 2011 was mental, and Saban is why they can juggle so many ego's and still field a team able to beat most any team on any Saturday.

I laugh at comments like the OP made because what sets Saban apart is he can spot talent both in players and coaches, and he surrounds himself with that talent on both sides. That makes him a great coach, because he see's every side of that coin and is able to use them to his advantage.

Recruiting is only a part of college football, which is why you see the merry go round of coaching changes. The jump from job to job to get to the richest schools in the best areas of the country to bring in the best players.

It is why there are only a handful of teams with any shot of winning a NC each and every year. You won't hear me argue one bit that Saban is the best recruiter in college football, but that comes with a school handing him a blank check and allowing him to spend more on recruiting analysts than some schools have for their entire football budget. It is why I laugh when people commented about Michigan hiring recruiting analysts, when Bama has 3 times the amount of recruiting analysts.

And I hate to break it to you. What sets Saban apart is his recruiting prowess and his cut throat approach to handling his roster. I laugh at some Bama fans when they try to say Bama players suddenly started getting career ending injuries like never seen before in the history of CFB -- in reality, he was trimming the fat to open up scholarships (both Urban and Harbaugh stole that from him). He was the first guy to start finding loopholes in recruiting rules and would flood HS's 'bumping into' top recruits in dead periods to gain advantages.

I think Saban is a genius in the recruiting game and think he is a very good coach. His record outside the advantages the SEC provides tells me his greatness is tied to the SEC. He took a .500 team at MSU and after 4 years, they were still a .500 team. He had one solid year and jumped ship. He went to the NFL and went 9-7 to 6-10 and realized he was just going to be another coach and went right back to where he had those advantages.

When your recruiting class has been ranked #1 overall for the past decade -- it makes you a great recruiter with the most talented team, by a landslide in CFB. As I said -- it'd be like saying Steve Kerr is best coach in the NBA if GS wins multiple titles or Tyronn Lue is a great coach because Lebron ok'd him to be the HC.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're more full of shit than a clogged toilet. It's hilarious you think Jimmy Jam is on the same coaching level as Saban. And you have no clue that the NFL & CFB aren't the same. All you ever do to validate Jimmy Jam's incomplete CFB coaching resume is to bring up the NFL.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

What a fucking tool.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really don't understand the argument. What program has a better record over the past 10 years? I would say he is damn good; probably the best college coach of all time.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Saban: 210-61-1 / 10-8 bowl record / 5 Natty's

Jimmy Jam: 49-27 / 2-2 bowl record / 0 Natty's / back to back Spring Game national champs

Can someone explain to me how these 2 HC's have anything in common coaching wise?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would call the SEC not having their #1 team shut out in the playoffs 2 consecutive years.

The SEC is the suckiest sucks that ever sucked. And Lavar Ball's a better CFB coach than Saban. Advantage: Jim muther fuken Harbaugh!:yes: