• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach Saban wasn't that great...

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? This again? Problem with this argument is Saban isn't just a great football coach, he is a historically great football coach. To say Saban is only a good coach because he is at Alabama is on par with saying Knute was only good because he was at Notre Dame, Bear was only good because he was at Alabama, etc. What Saban has done at Alabama IS NOT DONE by just an above average coach with great access to recruiting, money, and facilities

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you believed Bowden?

Considering he was the head coach in the time period he is speaking of, why wouldn't I?

If Saban up and tomorrow says "Alabama would have never won a national championship in the Pac12", I'd believe him.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering he was the head coach in the time period he is speaking of, why wouldn't I?

If Saban up and tomorrow says "Alabama would have never won a national championship in the Pac12", I'd believe him.
Okay fair enough, but you are easily persuaded.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay fair enough, but you are easily persuaded.

Why?

Back in the day, the ACC was an 8 team conference that sucked for the most part. Clemson pretty much won it every year because they had no competition in football.

FSU became the 9th team. They had easy competition in conference, it allowed them to have success and they were able to build off that success. It became even easier for them because Clemson took a step back for much of the 90's.

If they played in a tougher conference like the SEC, they wouldn't have had the same success to build off etc.

This was the ACC when FSU joined and for many years after FSU joined:

Clemson
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina St
Duke
Virginia
Wake Forest
Maryland

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?

Back in the day, the ACC was an 8 team conference that sucked for the most part. Clemson pretty much won it every year because they had no competition in football.

FSU became the 9th team. They had easy competition in conference, it allowed them to have success and they were able to build off that success. It became even easier for them because Clemson took a step back for much of the 90's.

If they played in a tougher conference like the SEC, they wouldn't have had the same success to build off etc.

Clemson
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina St
Duke
Virginia
Wake Forest
Maryland

Honestly it wasn't until recently that the ACC became a respected football conference. As recently as 10 years ago people still thought of them as a basketball conference that just passed the time with football. As recently as 5 years ago people thought they would be poached apart like the Big 12 was because of football indifference. Even though the quietly had become one of the premiere pro-style conferences and NFL breeding grounds.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?

Clemson
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina St
Duke
Virginia
Wake Forest
Maryland

now the ACC is better and the SEC is shit

full circle bech :yo:

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If coaches like Chris Peterson, Steve Spurrier, Tom Osborne or even Jim Harbaugh had that talent every year like Saban in Tuscaloosa...BAMA would be on a 10 time National Championship run.

Saban didn't build the house of the best college football program in the country, he just managed it very well.

Last edited:

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
until he took over the football program that could buy him the best players in the country without getting caught. An average to above average coach will always have success in Tuskaloosa.
He coached in the NFL where you are not only encouraged to buy players its pretty feckin' critical

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a nice run at LSU, but yet still didn't have a better career at LSU than Les Miles. You think if Saban had the same winning percentage at BAMA that he did at LSU, he would still be the coach in Tuscaloosa today?
I would like to say that you are talking in circles but its more like a circle jerk

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now the ACC is better and the SEC is shit

full circle bech :yo:

giphy.gif

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
until he took over the football program that could buy him the best players in the country without getting caught. An average to above average coach will always have success in Tuskaloosa.
Ok with this line of reasoning then Bear Bryant was just an average coach at A&M and KY because he had to buy players at Bama. Am I following your bullshit correctly?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This arguement is stupid, if the point is Saban wasn't good until he was thats like saying Bill Gates sucked till he made bank and became rich as hell.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This arguement is stupid, if the point is Saban wasn't good until he was thats like saying Bill Gates sucked till he made bank and became rich as hell.

OP is perpetually rustled by Saban/Bama. Pretty much every one of his posts on this forum is him whining about Bama in some form or fashion. It's quite flattering tbh...

http://sportshoop.la/search/19516078/

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?

Clemson
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina St
Duke
Virginia
Wake Forest
Maryland
Okay, fair enough, but I bet FSU could have beaten most of the teams in the SEC, when Bowden was their coach, regardless of the conference that FSU was in.

Last edited:

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Takes me right to it. :noidea:
Sorry, maybe something is wrong with my tablet. This is all I get, "SportsHoopla Sports Forums - Error". "The requested search could not be found".

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If coaches like Chris Peterson, Steve Spurrier, Tom Osborne or even Jim Harbaugh had that talent every year like Saban in Tuscaloosa...BAMA would be on a 10 time National Championship run.

Saban didn't build the house of the best college football program in the country, he just managed it very well.

LOL, good off-season troll thread.

Surely a denizen of Free Shoes University, where 33% of the football and basketball players were reported as "learning disabled" under Bowden could think of a few creative ways of recruiting players besides monetary compensation.

You have to think outside the box with today's coddled student athlete. Paying is so retro.

Have you seen the new weed and pussy bar we put in the athletic dorm...it's right next to the gun range and the "I'll write your term paper for free" kiosk.

Sheesh...paying players...fucking Philistine.