• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach Saban wasn't that great...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which of those teams have the great QB whisperer as head coach?

Which coach took over a team where Shane Morris was the best option and had to resort to castoffs a from Iowa and Houston?

I said from the day he was hired -- we won't know what UM can be til he gets his own guy under center.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then we can expect Harbaugh to run the table in the weaker B1G and win a natty this year then, right? Apparently he is superior to everyone because he coached in the NFL. I can hardly wait until the season starts to see his magnificence on the field. I am only sorry his players failed him the last 2 years, clearly its their fault as he is supercoach and incapable of faltering. we should bow to his 10 win seasons.

You didn't answer my question:

Are you saying Saban has to be at certain schools to be a great coach?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will coach at Bama one day soon, when the mothership calls, he will jump at the chance. Dabo is an Alabama boy, he knew how to beat Bama, just follow their own gameplan. its not an easy feat, but he built a team to do it.

I agree. He outcoached Saban and Meyer in back to back games.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I was more referring to the mediocre seasons Harbaugh is having at a school he can easily recruit to. He needs to step up his game, 3 losses per season is not coaching. If he doesnt make the playoffs this season, he is failing to produce at a thoroughbred University where even Brady Hoke could get recruits.

When Harbaugh wins his 5th title, call us, until then even Dabo Swinney is Harbaughs daddy.

You do know last year was the first year he had a recruiting class, right? He didn't have one his first year, he was in the NFL while everyone else was signing their classes.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which coach took over a team where Shane Morris was the best option and had to resort to castoffs a from Iowa and Houston?

I said from the day he was hired -- we won't know what UM can be til he gets his own guy under center.
So if we have Speight under center this year we still won't be able to judge him? He will have had three off seasons to develop a QB and something like seven quarterbacks on scholarship. If he can not find someone better than Speight with all the transfers and QBs that he has brought in, that's on him. Many coaches, in the NFL and in the NCAA, are fired if they are unsuccessful in their first three years. Michigan fans need to stop pretending like coaches get 6 years til we know who they are and actually start being critical of the screw ups that are on him.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then we can expect Harbaugh to run the table in the weaker B1G and win a natty this year then, right? Apparently he is superior to everyone because he coached in the NFL. I can hardly wait until the season starts to see his magnificence on the field. I am only sorry his players failed him the last 2 years, clearly its their fault as he is supercoach and incapable of faltering. we should bow to his 10 win seasons.

I've never said anything about being incapable of faltering or being a super coach. I believe all I ever said was -- he is one of the top 5 coaches in college football. That is when this board went crazy, which is funny, since numerous national sports sites have said the EXACT SAME THING.

Everyone keeps talking about all the guys UM had drafted, but fail to look and see UM's defense finished #1 in country in many categories including total defense and pass defense. The offense was great for much of the year, until Speight was injured at Iowa. At that point, it didn't matter if we had 2 WR's and a TE drafted, when the QB struggled. The defense gave up 1 touchdown and 2 FG's to Iowa and gave up 1 FG to OSU and lost both games.

It is what it is. I'm ecstatic with back to back 10 win seasons. Last season was a disappointment because we had the defense to compete in the CFP, but not the QB. But I didn't expect UM to turn it around that quickly anyways.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if we have Speight under center this year we still won't be able to judge him? He will have had three off seasons to develop a QB and something like seven quarterbacks on scholarship. If he can not find someone better than Speight with all the transfers and QBs that he has brought in, that's on him. Many coaches, in the NFL and in the NCAA, are fired if they are unsuccessful in their first three years. Michigan fans need to stop pretending like coaches get 6 years til we know who they are and actually start being critical of the screw ups that are on him.

He will have ONE QB recruit on the roster this year he brought in (Brandon Peters), who will be a redshirt freshman. People keep talking about his first year and he had no chance to recruit anyone. Recruiting was basically over when he signed to coach UM. That is why he was able to sign such big classes last year and this year.

And his transfers were a QB who lost his job at Iowa and another who lost his job at Houston. Not like he was bringing ringers in. The other QB who will be on campus this year in a few months is Dylan McCaffrey and from looking at pictures. I don't see a chance of him not being redshirted -- he needs to add a lot of weight (imo).

Personally, I liked Speight until he injured his shoulder in the Iowa game. From that point on, he was horrendous. He missed the Indiana game and we got to see why O'Korn wasn't the starter.

UM had NOTHING at the QB position when he got here. It was Shane Morris. At the begging of 2015, Wilton Speight was the 4th string QB behind Ruddock, Morris and Alex Malzone.

NO ONE thought Speight would be our QB in 2016. Even before the first game everyone thought O'Korn would be the starter.

In all honesty -- I hope they start Peters this year. With 17 new starters and many of them being freshman, redshirt freshman and sophomores, I'd rather Peters gets the experience in now and from 2018 on, UM should be set at QB and have depth across the board.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn't answer my question:

Are you saying Saban has to be at certain schools to be a great coach?
Nope, he would have made Michigan state great, had they been intelligent enough to offer him a decent rsise. Snooze you lose.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fantasy?

George Perles -- Record the year before taking over, 2-9 -- 1st 5 years: 33 wins, 1 division title, 1 rose bowl win

Mark Dantonio -- Record the year before taking over, 4-8 -- 1st 5 years: 44 wins, 2 division titles, 1 bowl win

Nick Saban -- Record the year before taking over, 6-6 -- 1st 5 years: 34 wins, 0 division titles, 0 bowl wins.

Great coach............. in the SEC. Middle of the road coach in the B1G.

You could give dozens of coaches the amount of talent Bama has had and they'd be just as successful. It is no different than NBA teams stacking rosters and then arguing guys like Tyronn Lue and Steve Kerr are the best coaches.

You say shit that is so stupid you actually make fans of other teams comment in a manner favorable to Alabama/Saban.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know last year was the first year he had a recruiting class, right? He didn't have one his first year, he was in the NFL while everyone else was signing their classes.
And what, Saban went undefeated his second season in the SEC, and only lost his last two games that year to top ranked teams. The following year he won it all. This is year three for Jimbob, can he win more than 10, or has he reached his pinnacle of win totals.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will have ONE QB recruit on the roster this year he brought in (Brandon Peters), who will be a redshirt freshman. People keep talking about his first year and he had no chance to recruit anyone. Recruiting was basically over when he signed to coach UM. That is why he was able to sign such big classes last year and this year.

And his transfers were a QB who lost his job at Iowa and another who lost his job at Houston. Not like he was bringing ringers in. The other QB who will be on campus this year in a few months is Dylan McCaffrey and from looking at pictures. I don't see a chance of him not being redshirted -- he needs to add a lot of weight (imo).

Personally, I liked Speight until he injured his shoulder in the Iowa game. From that point on, he was horrendous. He missed the Indiana game and we got to see why O'Korn wasn't the starter.

UM had NOTHING at the QB position when he got here. It was Shane Morris. At the begging of 2015, Wilton Speight was the 4th string QB behind Ruddock, Morris and Alex Malzone.

NO ONE thought Speight would be our QB in 2016. Even before the first game everyone thought O'Korn would be the starter.

In all honesty -- I hope they start Peters this year. With 17 new starters and many of them being freshman, redshirt freshman and sophomores, I'd rather Peters gets the experience in now and from 2018 on, UM should be set at QB and have depth across the board.
So where are Dylan McCaffrey and Alex Malzone? I mean they aren't at Michigan anymore according to you.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never said anything about being incapable of faltering or being a super coach. I believe all I ever said was -- he is one of the top 5 coaches in college football. That is when this board went crazy, which is funny, since numerous national sports sites have said the EXACT SAME THING.

Everyone keeps talking about all the guys UM had drafted, but fail to look and see UM's defense finished #1 in country in many categories including total defense and pass defense. The offense was great for much of the year, until Speight was injured at Iowa. At that point, it didn't matter if we had 2 WR's and a TE drafted, when the QB struggled. The defense gave up 1 touchdown and 2 FG's to Iowa and gave up 1 FG to OSU and lost both games.

It is what it is. I'm ecstatic with back to back 10 win seasons. Last season was a disappointment because we had the defense to compete in the CFP, but not the QB. But I didn't expect UM to turn it around that quickly anyways.
And you fail to see that the number 1 defense you tout went aganst the B1G all year, and when it counted, they lost 3 times and the best team from your Division ot manhandled, yet again, in the playoffs. Doesnt speak well when you boast a number 1 defense, in a conference that has rolled out two goose eggs in successive years in best on best in the playoffs. B1g has been owned 2 years running, that should make you real proud.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where are Dylan McCaffrey and Alex Malzone? I mean they aren't at Michigan anymore according to you.
Dylan McCaffrey is still in high school in Colorado, so I'm going out on a limb and saying the only time he was at Michigan was on recruiting visits.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what, Saban went undefeated his second season in the SEC, and only lost his last two games that year to top ranked teams. The following year he won it all. This is year three for Jimbob, can he win more than 10, or has he reached his pinnacle of win totals.

Yeah, he lost to the only other top 10 team in the SEC and then got smacked around, not by PAC-12 Utah, but by Mountain West conference Utah.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say shit that is so stupid you actually make fans of other teams comment in a manner favorable to Alabama/Saban.

I just posted facts -- after 5 years at MSU, he accomplished less than both George Perles and Mark Dantonio did in their 1st 5 years.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, he would have made Michigan state great, had they been intelligent enough to offer him a decent rsise. Snooze you lose.

Just trying to figure it all out -- he 'would have' made MSU great, but after 5 years, he won 0 conference titles and 0 bowl games. How long was it going to take?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he lost to the only other top 10 team in the SEC and then got smacked around, not by PAC-12 Utah, but by Mountain West conference Utah.
And your point is what? Who won the title that year? Wasnt it the SEC team we lost to? yeah, i thought so. And that Utah team was loaded on offense and ran the same system Florida did. Not shocking. You can point out losses everyday, but lets review some wins. Most importantly title wins that Saban has that Jimbob has yet to acheive, at any level. He always seems to be a bridesmaid, never the bride. Whats up with always being someones bitch? Cant he outcoach anyone when the big game finally happens? Surely you can speak to his inability to win a big game. Even went out two years in a row and lost 3 games when he was expected to do more. Its put up or shut up time for him and his staff.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just trying to figure it all out -- he 'would have' made MSU great, but after 5 years, he won 0 conference titles and 0 bowl games. How long was it going to take?
Who knows, since MSU was a settle for destination for many kids, not really a place someone could recruit to. No history of excellence and getting top flight kids was not easy, still isnt.

Saban could take that same team today, recruit top ers and make it a title winner. His name alone would bring top players there. Takes time to build a program if its unknown, like MSU was at that time. Not a national player, still are hit and miss.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows, since MSU was a settle for destination for many kids, not really a place someone could recruit to. No history of excellence and getting top flight kids was not easy, still isnt.

Saban could take that same team today, recruit top ers and make it a title winner. His name alone would bring top players there. Takes time to build a program if its unknown, like MSU was at that time. Not a national player, still are hit and miss.
Well Nick Saban wasn't a name back then either. So he wouldn't be able to just recruit top tier talent as easily as he could with a name behind it like Alabama. But saying he is only good because of the SEC is dumb.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dylan McCaffrey is still in high school in Colorado, so I'm going out on a limb and saying the only time he was at Michigan was on recruiting visits.
He also will be on the team next year, right? He's ranked 5th for Pro style QB's. Wisconsin and Alabama both started true freshmen last year. So he is another QB that Harbaugh recruited that you are conveniently leaving off your list.