• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

C'man it is still the dumbest move

Bulldog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Patriots ever made. That's right one of the dumbest in their history, not re-signing Wes Welker. Then they compound this mistake by signing Danny Amendola to replace him. Tell me, how do you replace a slot receiver who had over 100 receptions in 5 straight seasons with a receiver made of fine china. After all, it's not like the Pats didn't know this guy is injury prone.

Whats even worse is the fact that many Pats fans were saying the Pats got the better of this assinine move. Their reasoning was Amendola is younger than Welker. Well how's that working out with the younger guy? From the looks of things he won't have half the catches Welker had last season.

Maybe the Pats management and coaches should have listened more to Brady instead of letting their egoes get in the way.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are still 5-1 and Dola was not brought in to replace Wes, he was an added piece to this offense. Lets wait till the end of the season before we declare this the "dumbest" move ever...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have taken Welker back for free. He didn't want to be here.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have taken Welker back for free. He didn't want to be here.

Can't agree more JDM. I have no patience for people who don't want to be here. I'm interviewing candidates for several positions right now. Wanting the job is high on my list of priorities.

bunchofpixels

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about letting Welker go being a poor decision. I realize at the end the Patriots wanted him but were pinching pennies. Obviously Welker thought he was going to get a bigger contract offer than what he eventually signed for. He and Brady complimented each other perfectly as Brady is best at the short passing game and Welker's quickness is hard to defend. I know he had some important drops but Welkers presence would make the rookie's jobs a lot easier and give Brady safety valve.

I think the important thing to remember though, is the Patriots didn't know Hernandez was going to kill someone and that Gronk wasn't going to be ready to play. If they did, I bet they make more of an effort to keep Wes.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing everything I know today, Wes still goes. This offense will be far better at the end of the year without him than they would have been with him. With Wes, the rookies don't get the reps they need.

I wanted him gone then and I am even happier with the decision now. He is not Patriot material, and what he brings on the field is not what we want from a number one guy, which he would have absolutely demanded here.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing everything I know today, Wes still goes. This offense will be far better at the end of the year without him than they would have been with him. With Wes, the rookies don't get the reps they need.

I wanted him gone then and I am even happier with the decision now. He is not Patriot material, and what he brings on the field is not what we want from a number one guy, which he would have absolutely demanded here.
the best reciever in a 6 year period ever,it is the dumbest move EVER,stop making excuses,the 5-1 thing is just a favorable schedule.(beating the saints was awesome)one of the toughest players in the nfl vs.somebody who CANNOT stay on the field
and you want him gone really

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuses? I was begging for them to let him walk last year.

Don't compare him to Amendola. Amendola was not a replacement for Welker. He was brought in to be an actual slot guy, which Wes wouldn't have accepted as his sole role here. He only took it in Denver because they have two very good options on the outside.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do you not comparehim to ammendola,he was sign right after wes left,wes left because BB had issues with himhe was worth every single penny.how much $ are the pats saving with amendola.production = $.most productive/least productive

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Amendola doesn't have the role Wes would have demanded.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do you not comparehim to ammendola,he was sign right after wes left,wes left because BB had issues with himhe was worth every single penny.how much $ are the pats saving with amendola.production = $.most productive/least productive

Say something nice - something positive - I dare you.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No use crying over spilled milk. Wes is no longer on the team. You can bitch and moan all you want, but the Pats are doing a fine job so far.
Go Pats!

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say he didn't want to be here, he wanted a bigger pay day and got one, this is not an uncommon practice in the NFL. And we did IMO bring Amendola in to replace Wes, that is exactly why we brought him in. The Pats knew DA was fragile, they rolled the dice and it has not payed off. The Patriots have a line when it comes to contracts. unless your name is Brady they have a hard fast line they will not cross, it's not a matter of a player not wanting to stay but both sides are looking out for their best interests.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money wasn't the reason Wes left.

And no, amendola (when healthy) didn't play close to the role Welker used to. Welker wouldn't have accepted a reduced role.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get that move either. To me, Welker really would have done two things for the Pats this season. One, give Brady a go to receiver. He's obviously not a huge down field threat, but he is a very tough WR to defend against and keeps the ball in the Pats' hands. Two, he would have been a great veteran presence with the new receivers. I've always felt there was something going on behind the scenes that led to his departure.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money wasn't the reason Wes left.

And no, amendola (when healthy) didn't play close to the role Welker used to. Welker wouldn't have accepted a reduced role.

Money is a part of why he left, pretend all you want. Bottom line is he did what he felt was best for him. Not sure how you figure Wes wouldn't have accepted a lesser role, just not sure where you got that info.

Wes did get a more pleasing offer from Denver, he went to a team with a QB that is Brady's equal, a more talented WR corp and a legit chance to win a SB. I feel like in the end the two sides just couldn't come to terms and both agreed to go there separate ways, it happens all the time in this league. Both side had a hard line they would not cross. I do think at this point he is missed no one has played as well as he had, but that's what moving on is about. I for one appreciate all he did while he was here and wish him the best of luck in Denver.