• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Close to Getting a Catcher...

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a solid signing given our current catching situation. Obviously people wont love his 2015 avg, but his BABIP was ridiculously low so I sense he should rebound a little this year. Also .351 career OBP and 14.1% walk rate is something I like. If you remember that the M's catching position was HISTORICALLY PUTRID last year and realize that the next future wasnt available in FA or trade (without paying an arm and a leg).

This should be a decent stop gap until we figure out what to do with Zunino. I would hope another catcher is acquired as well because Sucre shouldnt be on a MLB roster either

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see Ianetta as a $4M+ improvement over Sucre just because his lifetime OBP is where we want it to be. One, he is 32 and his OBP took a hit last year so more likely that is the norm over history. Two, OBP for a slug on the bases isn't as meaningful as compared to a base threat player. Would rather have a better SLG% for slugs. Third, all numbers have to be adjusted due to Safeco vs Anaheim and Colorado.

I guess I was fine with crappy and cheap vs crappy+ and expensive. I look at it this way; He will make $4.5M plus incentives so say $6M. Sucre will be say $500K. $5.5 difference could get you Aoki or couple decent bullpen arms.

I hope I am wrong, but every reclamation project M's sign seems to be gone by July (you know the names).

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I understand what you are saying. Fangraphs had his projected contract at 2 years/ $12 million so he came in cheaper then that. The reality is there are more teams out there then solid MLB catchers. The second or third tier guys are gonna make more then they probably should. Given a bare system and no FA options I dont think they really could have much better.

Maybe his career stats mean nothing but he has shown he has been a viable catcher at times where as Sucre has not even shown to be a viable backup. Plus we don't know that this contract prevents them from upgrading elsewhere. I think they have shed a little bit of payroll with the moves so far. More if they decide move Trumbo. Although Im assuming Iwakuma gets more then he should here but Ill leave that for a different thread.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I understand what you are saying. Fangraphs had his projected contract at 2 years/ $12 million so he came in cheaper then that. The reality is there are more teams out there then solid MLB catchers. The second or third tier guys are gonna make more then they probably should. Given a bare system and no FA options I dont think they really could have much better.

Maybe his career stats mean nothing but he has shown he has been a viable catcher at times where as Sucre has not even shown to be a viable backup. Plus we don't know that this contract prevents them from upgrading elsewhere. I think they have shed a little bit of payroll with the moves so far. More if they decide move Trumbo. Although Im assuming Iwakuma gets more then he should here but Ill leave that for a different thread.

Rays released C J.P. Arencibia.

Arencibia was designated for assignment last week. He hit .310/.315/.606 with six homers and 17 RBI in 24 games for the Rays, but they weren't interested in paying him what he'd make in arbitration.

----------------------------

Not sure of his defense, but he would have been an option (maybe better option IMO).

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soto signs with Angels for $2.8M
Avila signs with W. Sox for $2.5M
Ianetta signs with M's for $4.5M+

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh must of been hit one of his favorites / in Anaheim. Tough to get excited about this deal