• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Christine Michael will add POP!

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't pay Harvin to risk getting hurt running the ball. Whole different game running after the catch in the secondary than trying to get through the big beef eating linemen of the league. Maybe the odd reverse, but I wouldn't rush him no matter what.

I would count on him being in the backfield for more than just reverses. I'm not saying they'll ever give him more than a handful of carries per game or that they'll even give him a carry in every game he plays, but even if they do line him up in the backfield, that doesn't mean they're gonna have him run it up the gut or even between the tackles every time, which would certainly increase his chances of getting hurt. I'm certain he'll be put in the slot (not exactly the safest place on a football field) and split out wide far more often than he'll be put in the backfield. I'm just saying that he's another option they have back there, even if he's mostly used as a decoy. He'll be the highest paid player the team has, so they're not gonna put him in a position to get pulverized too often, but they shouldn't treat him like he's made of glass either.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Receivers face their own sets of injuries no doubt, but how many backs do you see reaching 35 and still playing? Harvin would last longer leaving him where he won't face as many chances at knee injuries IMO.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I do think we'll see him in the backfield from time to time. I'm think the Seahawks will have some plays designed to take advantage of his unique skill set in the backfield, but they'll save them for when they really need a score.
I don't think you'll see him often as a ballcarrier, after all the Seahawks are loaded up with good running backs.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Receivers face their own sets of injuries no doubt, but how many backs do you see reaching 35 and still playing? Harvin would last longer leaving him where he won't face as many chances at knee injuries IMO.

He can't return kicks, then, if we're gonna say that. One good shot to the knee at the wrong angle from a guy going full speed and he's toast.

Listen, we're not talking about making Harvin the every down back here, just a handful of touches out of the backfield, maybe two and they're not gonna all be straight-forward, up-the-gut runs. If we were talking about that, I'd be much more inclined to agree with you, but we're not. Lynch is the starter and every down back here and should be for the foreseeable future. Harvin is simply another option out of the backfield for defenses to consider. With that in mind, any talk about backs reaching the age of 35 and still playing in the league applies far more to Lynch than to Harvin.

Again, he was brought here, in large part, because of his versatility as a player and the explosiveness he showed in those various capacities, and that does include running the ball out of the backfield and returning kicks. If they had no intention of continuing that here, what was the point of trading for him and signing him to a lucrative long-term extension? He's still going to see the majority of his snaps at wide receiver and it's not like we'd be putting him in situations he hasn't already been in hundreds of times, so if he does get hurt, people shouldn't be suggesting that he only got hurt because we put him in situations he wasn't used to being in.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can't return kicks, then, if we're gonna say that. One good shot to the knee at the wrong angle from a guy going full speed and he's toast.

Listen, we're not talking about making Harvin the every down back here, just a handful of touches out of the backfield, maybe two and they're not gonna all be straight-forward, up-the-gut runs. If we were talking about that, I'd be much more inclined to agree with you, but we're not. Lynch is the starter and every down back here and should be for the foreseeable future. Harvin is simply another option out of the backfield for defenses to consider. With that in mind, any talk about backs reaching the age of 35 and still playing in the league applies far more to Lynch than to Harvin.

Again, he was brought here, in large part, because of his versatility as a player and the explosiveness he showed in those various capacities, and that does include running the ball out of the backfield and returning kicks. If they had no intention of continuing that here, what was the point of trading for him and signing him to a lucrative long-term extension? He's still going to see the majority of his snaps at wide receiver and it's not like we'd be putting him in situations he hasn't already been in hundreds of times, so if he does get hurt, people shouldn't be suggesting that he only got hurt because we put him in situations he wasn't used to being in.

Your on point Dude. Harvin was brought in just for the reasons you stated and he will do some of all the above. I think WizardHawk is just concerned that a injury will cost us a big investment.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your on point Dude. Harvin was brought in just for the reasons you stated and he will do some of all the above. I think WizardHawk is just concerned that a injury will cost us a big investment.

I get it. It would really suck to have spent all that money on Harvin, only to see him get hurt, but isn't that the risk you take with any player you sign to big bucks? It's like signing an all-star, 5-tool outfielder in baseball, who is just beginning the prime of his career, to a big money deal and telling him during Spring Training that they'll let him play in the outfield every once in a while but, to limit the risk of injury, he's going to be the team's new primary DH.

It's a waste of his talents and abilities to keep him from doing the things that led you to sign him to a big money deal in the first place and almost as much of a waste of money than it would be if he did get hurt, because you're not getting everything you signed up for. You don't wanna run him into the ground by having him run the ball too much, but you want to take advantage of his ability to do it at least a handful of times a game in addition to his receiving duties. And maybe they line him up in the backfield and throw passes to him that way too. We don't know. I just don't want to limit the possibilities with him because we're afraid he'll get hurt. Limiting him is a waste of his talents and abilities, a wasted opportunity for this offense and a waste of money, and it would all be based on the fear of him getting hurt.

That's my opinion anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it. It would really suck to have spent all that money on Harvin, only to see him get hurt, but isn't that the risk you take with any player you sign to big bucks? It's like signing an all-star, 5-tool outfielder in baseball, who is just beginning the prime of his career, to a big money deal and telling him during Spring Training that they'll let him play in the outfield every once in a while but, to limit the risk of injury, he's going to be the team's new primary DH.

It's a waste of his talents and abilities to keep him from doing the things that led you to sign him to a big money deal in the first place and almost as much of a waste of money than it would be if he did get hurt, because you're not getting everything you signed up for. You don't wanna run him into the ground by having him run the ball too much, but you want to take advantage of his ability to do it at least a handful of times a game in addition to his receiving duties. And maybe they line him up in the backfield and throw passes to him that way too. We don't know. I just don't want to limit the possibilities with him because we're afraid he'll get hurt. Limiting him is a waste of his talents and abilities, a wasted opportunity for this offense and a waste of money, and it would all be based on the fear of him getting hurt.

That's my opinion anyway.

Harvin is so much more valuable for his versatility as a WR/RB then he would be with the added injury risk of ST, IMO.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvin is so much more valuable for his versatility as a WR/RB then he would be with the added injury risk of ST, IMO.

I agree. The last thing I want is to have Harvin returning kicks of any kind. I know we let Washington go, but there are a lot of players who can take the ST touches without risking Harvin. The one with the most experience would be Will Blackmon, who has 81 KR, 67 PR and 3 career PR for TD,

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From the sound of it, they're gonna let him return kicks. They may change their minds on that, but I haven't heard anything to suggest he won't be at this point.

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is so damn good at it.
He is not a Rookie either, got some experience that will help him avoid getting damaged too easily on ST.
Versatility, it is what he was brought here to do, don't limit him.
The dude is a weapon, keep the weapon out of the holster.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is so damn good at it.
He is not a Rookie either, got some experience that will help him avoid getting damaged too easily on ST.
Versatility, it is what he was brought here to do, don't limit him.
The dude is a weapon, keep the weapon out of the holster.

I couldn't agree more.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of his best highlight film plays were on ST so I would expect the Seahawks to want a little of that.

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
& I got a couple acronyms for y'all...

Y.A.C. O.M.F.G. !!!