• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Culliver arrested.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, then in your opinion should Culliver have been cut before the arrest based on his ability (lack thereof?) alone?

Culliver shouldn't have been cut at that point because he could come in and provide much needed depth but I wouldn't want him starting. After the arrest, he is more trouble then he's worth.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you gotta give people a chance. SO what if he calls people fags or said "homophobic" shit?

I grew up on a culture that was very negative towards the LGBT community, but times change people. I know I changed. You can't crucify a man for 1 dumbass comment.

I'm not crucifying him for his dumbass comment. I'm crucifying him for his dumbass actions (as described in this news report). I'm describing him by his dumbass comment.

He's a scumbag piece of shit because of what he did in this report and I want him kicked off the team for it.

From his previous incidents, it would also be accurate to describe him as homophobic.

Therefore, he's a homophobic scumbag piece of shit.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
amazing how far apart opinions are on Culliver, the football only part of Culliver? we all watch the same player, in the same games, but there is still a wide gap. he is either lousy or good, little inbetween.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Culliver shouldn't have been cut at that point because he could come in and provide much needed depth but I wouldn't want him starting. After the arrest, he is more trouble then he's worth.

That's just the thing. This isn't the an Aldon Smith incident where he's out there getting hammered & then driving to practice after an all-nighter while still inebriated. I fail to see how this trouble is trouble for anyone not named Chris Culliver. How does this situation specifically affect the 49ers' chances of winning a Super Bowl?

I know it will affect 'em if he goes to prison, but the Niners wouldn't have to pay him in that case anyway. So what else is there?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just the thing. This isn't the an Aldon Smith incident where he's out there getting hammered & then driving to practice after an all-nighter while still inebriated. I fail to see how this trouble is trouble for anyone not named Chris Culliver. How does this situation specifically affect the 49ers' chances of winning a Super Bowl?

I know it will affect 'em if he goes to prison, but the Niners wouldn't have to pay him in that case anyway. So what else is there?

If he plays like he did in the last one then he will certainly affect our chances of winning a Super Bowl.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If he plays like he did in the last one then he will certainly affect our chances of winning a Super Bowl.

You keep jumping back from his play to the off-field trouble & back again. Which one is it? Because I don't see how this off-field incident affects the 49ers in any way at all (unless he goes to prison of course, but then all bets are off anyway). You already said you didn't want him cut before the incident, but now you do. What I don't see is how the incident affects the 49ers or their chances whatsoever.

If anyone can answer that I'd love to hear it.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep jumping back from his play to the off-field trouble & back again. Which one is it? Because I don't see how this off-field incident affects the 49ers in any way at all (unless he goes to prison of course, but then all bets are off anyway). You already said you didn't want him cut before the incident, but now you do. What I don't see is how the incident affects the 49ers or their chances whatsoever.

If anyone can answer that I'd love to hear it.

I'm not jumping anywhere. I've said this whole time that he isn't good enough of a player to tolerate off field nonsense.

How does any incident where a player is arrested affect their chances?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
How does any incident where a player is arrested affect their chances?

It depends on the arrest. Donte Stallworth killed a guy & came back to play in the NFL. But that incident didn't affect his prospects as a wide receiver in the slightest way after he served his suspension. Aldon Smith, on the other hand, is an alcoholic. That's a huge risk. Alcoholics generally aren't dependable people.

Michael Vick's arrest: shows he doesn't have much common sense. That's a red flag for a quarterback. If he were a linebacker it probably wouldn't matter as much (but it would still matter).

Randy Moss arrested for running over a meter maid: no effect on his career whatsoever.

Ray Rice going all Chris Brown on his fiancé: little to no effect on playing career.

Adam Jones going all Chris Brown on a stripper: red flag.

Andre Smith trying to board a plane with a gun: red flag.

Michael Irvin arrested for coke possession: red flag.

Titus Young: all kinds of red flags.

Carl Nicks' arrest before the draft: utterly meaningless.

*BEARING IN MIND I KNOW BEING SUSPENDED / SERVING PRISON TIME AFFECTS ONE'S CAREER; I'M TALKING ABOUT RESIDUAL EFFECTS.

Any DUI or possession charge: does affect value as a player. A DUI shows that you're reckless. Possession charge might mean you could fail a drug test. Getting into fights in public: red flag. Domestic disturbances: doesn't really affect the player's value. Culliver's incident was an accident, and he tried to get away without having to face the consequences. That doesn't exactly show a patter of behavior like Adam Jones or Titus Young. Heck, a lot of NFL players might try the same thing if they hit a biker. Does that mean he's not a complete douche? Of course not. But that's a separate issue.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Look at the rap sheet for a guy like Johnny Jolly:

1. Arrested for possession of at least 200 grams of codeine, with intent to sell prescription cough syrup for use in making purple drank, a second-degree felony.
2. Arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute after police allegedly found 600 grams of codeine in his vehicle. In addition, he was caught driving a car with a suspended license.
3. Arrested and charge for possession of codeine and tampering with evidence by trying to hide the drug.

Yet, he is back in the NFL as a member of the Green Bay Packers. Given the right legal representation, these guys will get away with murder. What's a few painkillers to them?

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you gotta give people a chance. SO what if he calls people fags or said "homophobic" shit?

I grew up on a culture that was very negative towards the LGBT community, but times change people. I know I changed. You can't crucify a man for 1 dumbass comment.

Unfortunately not always for the better. We've got ourselves into a culture now of anything is OK and no one is at fault.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately not always for the better. We've got ourselves into a culture now of anything is OK and no one is at fault.

America is supposed to be the land of second chances. I mean, heck, the pilgrims literally wanted a second chance.

Demonizing people is easy when it isn't you. I'm not trying to say what Culliver did is not wrong, or that his prior statement didn't make him look like an ass, but who knows what actually happened? If you weren't there, you respectfully should shut the fuck up (nothing against you specifically, Toby, just in the general sense) until court proceedings finish. There are an insane number of instances where cops have tried to cobble together a story that hasn't jived with reality.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the rap sheet for a guy like Johnny Jolly:

1. Arrested for possession of at least 200 grams of codeine, with intent to sell prescription cough syrup for use in making purple drank, a second-degree felony.

Intent to sell is another crock of shit. Just having prescribed medicine with you can be defined as an intent to sell.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Intent to sell is another crock of shit. Just having prescribed medicine with you can be defined as an intent to sell.

Intent to sell requires some facts supporting the charge. In some cases, that could be as simple as an amount, but that's pretty rare. In almost all cases that result in a conviction on that charge as opposed to resolving for a lower charge, there would have to be accompanying indicia of sales like text messages, packaging materials, scales (or some other sort of measuring device in this case), etc. I wouldn't be too surprised if Jolly admitted he possessed for the purpose of sales, either.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It depends on the arrest. Donte Stallworth killed a guy & came back to play in the NFL. But that incident didn't affect his prospects as a wide receiver in the slightest way after he served his suspension. Aldon Smith, on the other hand, is an alcoholic. That's a huge risk. Alcoholics generally aren't dependable people.

Michael Vick's arrest: shows he doesn't have much common sense. That's a red flag for a quarterback. If he were a linebacker it probably wouldn't matter as much (but it would still matter).

Randy Moss arrested for running over a meter maid: no effect on his career whatsoever.

Ray Rice going all Chris Brown on his fiancé: little to no effect on playing career.

Adam Jones going all Chris Brown on a stripper: red flag.

Andre Smith trying to board a plane with a gun: red flag.

Michael Irvin arrested for coke possession: red flag.

Titus Young: all kinds of red flags.

Carl Nicks' arrest before the draft: utterly meaningless.

*BEARING IN MIND I KNOW BEING SUSPENDED / SERVING PRISON TIME AFFECTS ONE'S CAREER; I'M TALKING ABOUT RESIDUAL EFFECTS.

Any DUI or possession charge: does affect value as a player. A DUI shows that you're reckless. Possession charge might mean you could fail a drug test. Getting into fights in public: red flag. Domestic disturbances: doesn't really affect the player's value. Culliver's incident was an accident, and he tried to get away without having to face the consequences. That doesn't exactly show a patter of behavior like Adam Jones or Titus Young. Heck, a lot of NFL players might try the same thing if they hit a biker. Does that mean he's not a complete douche? Of course not. But that's a separate issue.

I don't see this list as proving much. They are a collection of particular incidents that were handled as such. Pac Man's thing with the stripper might not have been a big deal if not for his prior history. It remains to be seen if Rice's thing will affect him.

Calling the Culliver incident an accident overlooks by far the most serious conduct in that case. The fact that he hit a biker is no big deal. The concern arises because he fled, apparently hit another car while doing so, and then threatened a witness who followed him with an illegal weapon. It doesn't show a pattern of conduct, per se, but it sure as hell shows some extremely poor judgment.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't see this list as proving much. They are a collection of particular incidents that were handled as such. Pac Man's thing with the stripper might not have been a big deal if not for his prior history. It remains to be seen if Rice's thing will affect him.

The reason I said there's a difference between Pac Man & Rice is because getting into a fight at a strip club shows that you're just an unstable person up to no good. Getting into a fight with a wife or fiancé (punching her) just means that (1) you're an asshole and (2) you might have serious marital problems and / or a wife who's a huge pain in the ass. But those things aren't an indication you're out getting hammered / high all the time & getting into trouble (like Aldon Smith or Von Miller).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If you weren't there, you respectfully should shut the fuck up (nothing against you specifically, Toby, just in the general sense) until court proceedings finish.

You people of certain ideological persuasions are constantly defend life's biggest douche bags. People shouldn't have an opinion about this when a witness saw the whole friggn' thing and followed him? The cops are going to make that up? That's incredibly stupid. This is a hit and run not a drug bust gone sideways.

And your second statement is not correct. If you have a certain amount of prescription medication not in its original bottle you can be charged (rightfully) with intent to distribute.

"Officer, I have a bad back. So I should be able to carry around six weeks worth of vicodin in a plastic baggie at this club with impunity."

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The reason I said there's a difference between Pac Man & Rice is because getting into a fight at a strip club shows that you're just an unstable person up to no good. Getting into a fight with a wife or fiancé (punching her) just means that (1) you're an asshole and (2) you might have serious marital problems and / or a wife who's a huge pain in the ass. But those things aren't an indication you're out getting hammered / high all the time & getting into trouble (like Aldon Smith or Von Miller).

Rice knocked her unconscious in a hotel elevator. Not a strong endorsement of stability.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Rice knocked her unconscious in a hotel elevator. Not a strong endorsement of stability.

Stability? Of course not. But instability and out getting drunk / high / in fights at clubs 'til 6am on a regular basis are 2 different things. The first might just cause a bad marriage. The 2nd could mean you get picked up by the cops passed out at the wheel in someone's living room.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Stability? Of course not. But instability and out getting drunk / high / in fights at clubs 'til 6am on a regular basis are 2 different things. The first might just cause a bad marriage. The 2nd could mean you get picked up by the cops passed out at the wheel in someone's living room.

But again, you're conflating a type of incident with the frequency. If they were isolated incidents, I don't see a huge difference between the Pac Man thing and the Rice thing. The primary concern - at least from a football perspective - is the recurrence of the conduct.

Outside the football world, I'd be more concerned with very public domestic violence than a physical altercation with someone in a bar. Odds are very good the domestic violence isn't limited to that once instance.