• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Charles Tillman as a safety

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charles Tillman has said he does not want to play safety. .....ANYWHERE....

:omg::agree:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he would have moved to safety two or three years ago if he never backed into a pro bowl. Moving to safety will extend his career two or three years. He wont do it and after averaging 8-9 million per year for the past 5 years, guess he doesnt need to extend his career.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think Lovie will be worrying about his injured ass.
Loved Peanut. But the time has come to part ways. :bawling:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he would have moved to safety two or three years ago if he never backed into a pro bowl. Moving to safety will extend his career two or three years. He wont do it and after averaging 8-9 million per year for the past 5 years, guess he doesnt need to extend his career.

Lol... Please... what year would that be?

In fact, Charles Tillman has been SNUBBED out of more pro bowls than just about any player from the last ten years.

In the two years Tillman was a pro bowler (2011 & 2012). He combined for 14 forced fumbles, recovered 4, had 5 INT's, scored 5 non-offensive TD's (2nd in that two year span in that time frame), had 154 tackles (2nd leading tackler amongst DB's in 2011, #9 in 2012), and 30 assisted tackles.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think Lovie will be worrying about his injured ass.
Loved Peanut. But the time has come to part ways. :bawling:

It's never been such a foregone conclusion about two open market free agents in the modern day. It's so obvious Hester and Tillman will head to Tampa.

In a weird way, it makes me feel better that if Hester is going to break the record without a Bears uniform on. At least he'll do it under Lovie. The coach that was here running up and down the sidelines when Hester made those memories. Only time Lovie would ever get giddy was when Hester ran one back. He loved it.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
math skills allude you

He signed a 6 year $37 mil contract. .....in what universe does that average 8-9 mil?:lol:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed a 6 year $37 mil contract. .....in what universe does that average 8-9 mil?:lol:

Check his cap hits over the past 4 years, I guess they were using your just keep pushing the money back a few years to sign more people theory.

2008 9,716,667
2009 4,716,667
2010 4,816,667
2011 6,466,667
2012 7,966,667
2013 8,000,000

Cap hits for tillman over the past 6 years, tell me oh great one, is this average closer to 8 million or closer to 6 million?

ok, einstein, its 6.996 million average, so theoretically closer to 6, but last two years were 8 million.

I forgot, you want to sign 53 guy for a dollar and not even count the 120 million signing bonus dollars as salary.

C

cubzzzfanincali

This Tillman nonsense, enough already. The calls to move Tillman to safety are from fans and some in the media because the fans like the story. Do you know why neither Tillman nor any coaches are ever connected to saying he would switch to safety?

Because he does not have safety skills, he is not built like a safety, and moving him to cornerback would waste his principle strengths as an NFL player. Tillman is a physical, muscular corner. He is not especially fast, but he is strong and has excellent one-on-one coverage skills when asked (although he frequently of course was not asked in many Cover-2 sets). None of those scream "Safety". They all scream "outside cornerback."

Tillman and the coaches know this. Tillman is not Charles Woodson, who was small and quick. Tillman's strength in run blocking is because he was going again WRs, not tight ends and pulling linemen like he would be doing if he was playing safety.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My crystal ball is out being polished at the moment, but I'm thinking we've seen the last of Charles in a Bear uniform. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the Bears spending the kind of money necessary to bring in an aged, oft injured, but still very good CB.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Tillman nonsense, enough already. The calls to move Tillman to safety are from fans and some in the media because the fans like the story. Do you know why neither Tillman nor any coaches are ever connected to saying he would switch to safety?

Because he does not have safety skills, he is not built like a safety, and moving him to cornerback would waste his principle strengths as an NFL player. Tillman is a physical, muscular corner. He is not especially fast, but he is strong and has excellent one-on-one coverage skills when asked (although he frequently of course was not asked in many Cover-2 sets). None of those scream "Safety". They all scream "outside cornerback."

Tillman and the coaches know this. Tillman is not Charles Woodson, who was small and quick. Tillman's strength in run blocking is because he was going again WRs, not tight ends and pulling linemen like he would be doing if he was playing safety.

Its not just the story, its one move and go. His knees are shot, the cover two allows him to play 10 yards off the receiver and chase after the first move. Going to safety just allows him to pursue after the move. It allows him to come in when the ball carrier is stood up and jab at the football. To me safety gives him freedom to do that more, and having Tillman cover the middle deep part of the field like Urlacher used to run backwards to will allow the linebacker to stay up and pursue the ball as well.

That was always my side of Tillman going to safety. He is big enough, tackles well enough and punches balls better than anyone.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its not just the story, its one move and go. His knees are shot, the cover two allows him to play 10 yards off the receiver and chase after the first move. Going to safety just allows him to pursue after the move. It allows him to come in when the ball carrier is stood up and jab at the football. To me safety gives him freedom to do that more, and having Tillman cover the middle deep part of the field like Urlacher used to run backwards to will allow the linebacker to stay up and pursue the ball as well.

That was always my side of Tillman going to safety. He is big enough, tackles well enough and punches balls better than anyone.

Mind you, I understand now Charles wants to end his career as a cornerback, so when nobody signs him that will need him to play bump and run coverage, his career will end. Safety would extend his career by 2-3 years.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Mind you, I understand now Charles wants to end his career as a cornerback, so when nobody signs him that will need him to play bump and run coverage, his career will end. Safety would extend his career by 2-3 years.

I'm not sure he would last 2-3 games. Safeties' primary attribute is that they are fast. "Fast" does not describe Charles Tillman. He would be useless as a safety. His main virtue is that he is big enough and has coverage skills good enough to deal with bigger outside wide receivers. That's why he wouldn't even work as a slot corner. If/when he can no longer do that, he's done. He displays no qualities that make him a good candidate for safety.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure he would last 2-3 games. Safeties' primary attribute is that they are fast. "Fast" does not describe Charles Tillman. He would be useless as a safety. His main virtue is that he is big enough and has coverage skills good enough to deal with bigger outside wide receivers. That's why he wouldn't even work as a slot corner. If/when he can no longer do that, he's done. He displays no qualities that make him a good candidate for safety.

well, he would have been the best safeties the bears could have had last year, even if he wasnt that good.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, he would have been the best safeties the bears could have had last year, even if he wasnt that good.

I honestly don't know about that...

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's never been such a foregone conclusion about two open market free agents in the modern day. It's so obvious Hester and Tillman will head to Tampa.

In a weird way, it makes me feel better that if Hester is going to break the record without a Bears uniform on. At least he'll do it under Lovie. The coach that was here running up and down the sidelines when Hester made those memories. Only time Lovie would ever get giddy was when Hester ran one back. He loved it.

Depends on if Tampa wants to pay a CB who missed most his games w/ various injuries.
I could see them signing Hester.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how much do you drink?

Depends on if Tampa wants to pay a CB who missed most his games w/ various injuries.
I could see them signing Hester.

Charles Tillman has missed 23 games in his career. .......WTF. ....

:wtf2::lol:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charles Tillman has missed 23 games in his career. .......WTF. ....

:wtf2::lol:

thats 14% of the games he was signed to play. Gotta say that is a pretty big number.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is 14% anywhere near most of his games?......WTF

Its enough, and the poster clearly meant most of the games the past two seasons. Do you think he is gonna find the fountain of youth and not miss any this year? Look, if you missed 14% of your days at work you wouldnt have a job, thats the real world that some people think in.