• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Charles Sims

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston (University of, not the Texans) RB Charles Sims is considering entering the supplemental draft after deciding to leave the Cougars a year early.

I know we have zero need at RB, but this guy fits our system perfectly as a "combo back" who can line up in the backfield or in the slot.

Would he be worth a 6th or 7th round pick (in next year's draft, remember) to further bloster our RB depth? That would mean keeping 5 RBs on this year... but he might be too good of a value to pass up with a 7th round pick.

Basically I'm just bored @ work and trying to drum up some discussion and see what others think.

Personally, I'd put in for a 7th rounder for him, maybe a 6th. We're 4 deep with solid RBs right now, but the injury rate at the position is huge, and having an additional young back on our roster who fits the offense is never a bad thing. Late round picks rarely turn into anything much, so adding a kid who can help out, even if it's not for a few years, with one of those picks makes sense to me.

Then again he'd be buried on the depth chart, so I can see the other side of the argument pretty well too...

What do you bums think? 6th rounder? 7th? Pass?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just found a "2014" pre-draft list that has him as the #5 RB prospect for next year's draft.

Obviously that's an early ranking and a lot can change in the interim, but it at least shows that he's not just a scrub RB...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, he already graduated.... Still not sure if he was used as a return man though.

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Would he be worth a 6th or 7th round pick?

Of course. Those picks are worthless anyway. You can never have too much depth at RB if you are the Lions. None of the guys we currently have are exactly reliable.

But I wouldn't do it if it meant a 5th round pick or better. Too many needs.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot depends on how Riddick looks in OTA and in the rookie camp. If the Lions think they have something in him then why bother?

Just think how we all bitched about not having the mid round pick this year 4th I think. The other thing is why is he coming out now? Usually it has to do with some baggage.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already is done with school JDW, sounds like he considered coming out initially, then didn't. (he redshirted as a sophomore)

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raiders will probably give up a future 2nd or 3rd for him.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot depends on how Riddick looks in OTA and in the rookie camp. If the Lions think they have something in him then why bother?

Injuries would be the biggest one. RBs get injured a lot, and it's the one position where you really can't have enough talented guys.

Attrition would be the other, Imo. We might not need the kid this year, or even next, but what about 2015 if Bush is used up and Bell, LeShoure and/or Riddick is no longer on the roster? We could always just draft a kid then, but the advantage to Sims is that he'll likely be "cheaper" in the supplemental draft than he will be in the real draft next year, and that he'd have our system down-pat at that point.

Usually RBs come in and contribute right away, but what about drafting a talented kid like this and developing him on the bottom of the roster while keeping him fresh? It's just an outside-the-box idea, nothing serious, but the value of snagging an otherwise superior talent late in the draft appeals to me. We have the players in front of him to be able to let him learn slowly for a year or two while our other backs take a beating, and I like the idea of developing young RBs so that instead of relying on an unproven rookie we'd already have a guy ready to go who has a few years in the system.

But your point is very valid: we have absolutely no need for another rookie RB right now.

My question, with an eye towards the future, is this: Could we use said (hypothetical) 6th or 7th rounder to get a player who will have a bigger career impact? Maybe, but if Sims grades out as highly as the draftniks seem to think then he may be too good of a value to pass up with a 3rd day pick, regardless of need...

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather try to lure Rickey Williams out of retirement. He could probably teach LeShoure a few things.