• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chargers hire Anthony Lynn

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynn's first order of business should be to apologize on behalf of the Chargers for their stupid new logo and their plans to replace the official Chargers twitter spokesperson.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did. I guess his agent called as soon as he found out the Broncos were done interviewing Joseph. He wanted to make sure the Broncos knew how much Shanahan really wanted the job. I know the Broncos really liked him. Until Joseph interviewed Elway was set on hiring Shanahan as the next Head Coach because his interview went so well. Then Joseph blew them away during his interview and just the combo of that with the fact that they could go ahead and get the coaching staff in place early made a huge difference.

Joseph was the favorite all along AFAIK given that he would've been the HC had Denver not been able to get Kubiak a couple of seasons ago.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hire Patricia over either of those personally. McDaniels seems interested in SF (and may bring along a GM candidate), so he may be their guy.

Based on the process, SF is going offensive-oriented....and I agree with that. I'd take both Shanahan and McDaniels over Patricia. Not really close in my mind either.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joseph was the favorite all along AFAIK given that he would've been the HC had Denver not been able to get Kubiak a couple of seasons ago.

Not completely true. He ended up finishing 2nd in the coaching search but it really wasn't much of a search. Elway pretty much told Kubiak the job is yours you don't even have to really interview. With NFL rules teams have to interview certain candidates. The reason Vance Joseph was brought in to interview for the Head Coaching job was more to see if he would be a good fit as the DC. They loved him so much they offered him the job but unfortunately Cincinnati blocked it. From what I understand Joseph and his family were ticked!

My guess is if the Broncos actually had done a true search instead of having in mind who they wanted they would have brought in a few more candidates. Again they loved Joseph back then which is why they wanted to interview him now but they didn't think he was quite ready a couple of years ago. They wanted him to get a DC job to expand his understanding of how a team functions.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The story I heard was that Joseph was the guy because at the time, Kubiak wasn't available. Anyways....most people felt Shanahan was the lock in Denver this time around for obvious reasons, but Joseph was the guy I figured Elway was gonna go after first based upon what happened two seasons ago.

Given how Denvers offense/defense has flipped so much as far as production is concerned in the last few years, I find the Joseph decision now to be questionable, but I guess we'll see.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never trust anyone with 2 first names

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The story I heard was that Joseph was the guy because at the time, Kubiak wasn't available. Anyways....most people felt Shanahan was the lock in Denver this time around for obvious reasons, but Joseph was the guy I figured Elway was gonna go after first based upon what happened two seasons ago.

Given how Denvers offense/defense has flipped so much as far as production is concerned in the last few years, I find the Joseph decision now to be questionable, but I guess we'll see.

I guess differing stories. Both stories though have the Broncos loving Joseph. Here is why I am actually very happy with this hire...

1) The Broncos are coming off having an Offensive Minded coach in Kubiak. How did our offense look? How did our defense look? Before that we had a defensive minded coach in Fox. Well our offense broke every offensive record it seems there is and our defense was decent during his time here. Part of Kubiak's struggle was with him struggling with his health he was still trying to play the role of Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator and he just couldn't do it and the offense struggled because of it.

2) Sounding like it should be announced later today but the Broncos are signing both Bill Musgrave and Mike McCoy to run the offense. Both of them had top-10 offenses this past year and are known around the league as bright offensive minds.

3) Most people outside of Denver don't know this but the Broncos locker room got really bad this year. The offensive and defensive players wouldn't even hardly speak to each other at the end of the season. The biggest strength that Joseph has is being a great communicator and uniter. So that will be his first big task is getting this locker room to work through their issues and see what they can get figured out.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos are hiring both McCoy and Musgrave? Seems strange. And I think it was well known around the league the infighting within the Broncos locker room between offense and defense. I certainly heard about.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos are hiring both McCoy and Musgrave? Seems strange. And I think it was well known around the league the infighting within the Broncos locker room between offense and defense. I certainly heard about.

What I mean by the fighting is it went beyond the players. It got into the coaching ranks and even into the Front Office. While Wade went for bigger money part of why Elway didn't want to extend him was because Elway felt like Wade was a big part of the divide.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I mean by the fighting is it went beyond the players. It got into the coaching ranks and even into the Front Office. While Wade went for bigger money part of why Elway didn't want to extend him was because Elway felt like Wade was a big part of the divide.
Well seems like Elway has gone thru a bunch of coaches, at some point you got to think the problem is Elway not everyone else....don't you?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well seems like Elway has gone thru a bunch of coaches, at some point you got to think the problem is Elway not everyone else....don't you?

Not completely disagreeing with that. He is a very tough personality to get along with. Might be another reason that they went for Joseph over Shanahan. Shanahan is known to rub people the wrong way where Joseph is known for his ability to work through issues with people.

Now this time around have to remember part of it is based on the fact that Kubiak was not healthy. So not like he wanted to fire Kubiak. In fact the week leading up to his announcement Elway tried to talk him out of it. So Kubiak and Elway didn't have a problem with each other. Elway did have a problem with Fox as Fox was pretty much wanting the Broncos to keep spending big money in FA and Elway kept telling him to work on developing their draft picks and got frustrated that the young players were not getting opportunities. He also didn't like that Fox seemed very unprepared in some of the biggest games of the year.

I think with Elway you just have to look at each situation with the different coaches. He struggled with Wade, Del Rio, and Fox. He got along great with Kubiak and Gase. If we are looking at a whole new coaching staff in 2 years then yeah I think the Broncos could really struggle to find anybody that wants to come here knowing Elway has just too ridiculous of expectations.