• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chargers hire Anthony Lynn

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ask again.

Is there any personal issues with Kyle Shanahan?

That seems(to me) the only reason he is not a HC

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers hired Anthony Lynn as head coach.

Lynn was considered a shoo-in to replace Rex Ryan in Buffalo, but was surprisingly passed over for Panthers DC Sean McDermott. Lynn drew varying degrees of interest from all six teams in need of a new head coach despite having only half a season of coordinating experience. 48, Lynn has been an NFL running backs coach since 2003. The Chargers have impressive building blocks on both sides of the ball, but are a daunting task in that they're moving and seem to be rotten at the top of the organization. Nevertheless, it's a job that could lead to instant success for the career position coach. Lynn did an extremely impressive job with a Bills offense that was LeSean McCoy, Tyrod Taylor and then mostly spare parts this season. His fortunes could ultimately depend on how much an aging Philip Rivers has left in the tank.

Related: Bills

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can bet whoever they pick, will be the wrong choice. Happy that Matt Patricia appears to be staying put (for now)

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can bet whoever they pick, will be the wrong choice. Happy that Matt Patricia appears to be staying put (for now)

Starting to look like you keep both. Who would have thought that.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ask again.

Maybe it's just his personal hygiene.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynn has his work cut out for himself with that dysfunctional organization.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know right... I have my days with McDaniels, where I wish he'd go elsewhere.

A lot of people thought he'd be the next Lions HC if and when Caldwell got fired.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people thought he'd be the next Lions HC if and when Caldwell got fired.

You guys need something better at OC, that's for sure - my better half is a Lions fan. So I get to witness the dysfunction of the Stafford and the WRs on a weekly basis.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys need something better at OC, that's for sure - my better half is a Lions fan. So I get to witness the dysfunction of the Stafford and the WRs on a weekly basis.

Ya it's frustrating. We desperately need a run game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ask again.

The biggest thing hurting Shanahan right now is his team is still in the playoffs. Coaching hires usually go very quickly because teams don't want to miss out on the top assistants that get picked up very quickly.

There are questions about Kyle. He is a great X's and O's guy but some do question his ability to manage people which is what he would be doing mostly as a head coach. Most every place he has been he has had players speak out against him. I still think at some point he will be a head coach and I think with the right staff around him he could be successful but it might not be the worst thing in the world for him to have another year in Atlanta.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest thing hurting Shanahan right now is his team is still in the playoffs. Coaching hires usually go very quickly because teams don't want to miss out on the top assistants that get picked up very quickly.

There are questions about Kyle. He is a great X's and O's guy but some do question his ability to manage people which is what he would be doing mostly as a head coach. Most every place he has been he has had players speak out against him. I still think at some point he will be a head coach and I think with the right staff around him he could be successful but it might not be the worst thing in the world for him to have another year in Atlanta.

I had heard that Shanahan wanted to end up with you guys(Denver)...Perhaps since that's no longer possible he's in no hurry to accept a HC job??? Not sure...

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't think SF would actually get to pick between the two hottest (best?) candidates in Shanahan and McDaniels, given the freefall of the franchise. Perhaps they are still highly thought of given their overall status in NFL history is concerned, plus an open GM slot, tons of cap money, the #2 pick doesn't hurt either.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a quick hire made after Mike Smith withdrew his name from consideration and Matt Patricia was about to do the same. Chargers didn't want more bad press. He's probably a good coach, and we know Bradley can coach defense, but nobody fucking cares.

Wade Phillips was the hire of the day. His defenses are awesome everywhere he goes, and he has a ton of talent in LA.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had heard that Shanahan wanted to end up with you guys(Denver)...Perhaps since that's no longer possible he's in no hurry to accept a HC job??? Not sure...

He did. I guess his agent called as soon as he found out the Broncos were done interviewing Joseph. He wanted to make sure the Broncos knew how much Shanahan really wanted the job. I know the Broncos really liked him. Until Joseph interviewed Elway was set on hiring Shanahan as the next Head Coach because his interview went so well. Then Joseph blew them away during his interview and just the combo of that with the fact that they could go ahead and get the coaching staff in place early made a huge difference.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't think SF would actually get to pick between the two hottest (best?) candidates in Shanahan and McDaniels, given the freefall of the franchise. Perhaps they are still highly thought of given their overall status in NFL history is concerned, plus an open GM slot, tons of cap money, the #2 pick doesn't hurt either.

I would hire Patricia over either of those personally. McDaniels seems interested in SF (and may bring along a GM candidate), so he may be their guy.