• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Change the offense and do it now

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 TE sets to help block, Full-back and Running back help block on more passing play's… STOP going shot-gun leaving Wilson alone in the back-field with and O-line that can't block… This is not rocket science DO SOMETHING … We can start from there until our line get's healthy again...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I agree that 2 TE sets would suit the Seahawks offense very well. It helps the run game of course, and with two athletic TEs like Willson and Miller, the defense would have to be prepared for the possibility of the Seahawks passing from the 2 TE set as well.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that 2 TE sets would suit the Seahawks offense very well. It helps the run game of course, and with two athletic TEs like Willson and Miller, the defense would have to be prepared for the possibility of the Seahawks passing from the 2 TE set as well.

Exactly… And you can keep them in there for protection and just run a conservative style passing game… Something has to be done while were weak at tackle… Help those guy's out! I realize not every team has talent like the Rams in there pass rush but common! I was so shocked no adjustments were made with how bad our tackles were getting killed… Man I was beyond frustrated with our coaching staff…

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished re watching the game and it was really more a matter of drops, receivers not getting open and/or not turning around quick enough that lead to sacks and many were on 3rd down that just killed any momentum we might have had. Reminded me of the game in SF last year TBH. Obviously Wilson still needs to be protected better, but the receivers didn't help out much either. Overall, it wasn't as bad as I had thought on Monday and we should be fine this Sunday with a few adjustments.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree. Also, stop going shot gun empty set 90% of the time on third down. Too predictable and you're pretty much asking for Wilson to take a pounding.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Now that I think about it, last years game against the Packers is good evidence that if you're having trouble pass blocking, then making a switch to 2 TE sets can help out a lot. I think we got about 8 sacks against the Packers in the first half, but then in the second half the Packers did a lot more two TE sets, running the football, max protection, etc; and I think we got few, if any, sacks in the second half. It's just more evidence that we should have made second half adjustments like that against the Rams, as Stu pointed out.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I think about it, last years game against the Packers is good evidence that if you're having trouble pass blocking, then making a switch to 2 TE sets can help out a lot. I think we got about 8 sacks against the Packers in the first half, but then in the second half the Packers did a lot more two TE sets, running the football, max protection, etc; and I think we got few, if any, sacks in the second half. It's just more evidence that we should have made second half adjustments like that against the Rams, as Stu pointed out.

Good point… Yeah the Packers did make some nice adjustments in that game…

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point… Yeah the Packers did make some nice adjustments in that game…

They did, I remember them bringing in the TE's but also utilizing quicker routes as well, giving the D-Line no chance to get to Rodgers. Rodgers had the ball out of his hands within 3-4 seconds.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did, I remember them bringing in the TE's but also utilizing quicker routes as well, giving the D-Line no chance to get to Rodgers. Rodgers had the ball out of his hands within 3-4 seconds.

^^ Which really makes me wonder about our coaching???

On the other hand, receivers need to be turning around immediately in these situations too, there were at least two situations I saw for sure where RW was ready to throw, but the receiver had not turned around, so he pulled it down and got sacked. One was Tate not getting off press coverage quick enough and the other was Miller flushed out the the flat and just didn't look for the ball, both on third down, if I am not mistaken.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^ Which really makes me wonder about our coaching???

On the other hand, receivers need to be turning around immediately in these situations too, there were at least two situations I saw for sure where RW was ready to throw, but the receiver had not turned around, so he pulled it down and got sacked. One was Tate not getting off press coverage quick enough and the other was Miller flushed out the the flat and just didn't look for the ball, both on third down, if I am not mistaken.

In the case of Miller, there was no blitz on the play just a 4 man rush, Bowie just got beat after Miller left on his route, and though he was the hot route, there was no real indicator that he would need to cut his route short. If Bowie doesn't get beaten so quickly, then Miller is ready for the ball, as it wasn't exactly a long developing route and he turns his head about a step after Wilson is hit.

I've watched that play several times for the exact reason you bring it up, because I saw Wilson was ready to throw and the receiver wasn't ready for it, and I wanted to know why. Our tackle just got beat bad and there was no time for the receiver to get into his break. Since they Rams only sent their 4 down linemen and didn't even show blitz presnap, there wasn't anything in the read to show that the QB should have been under pressure that quickly. So, despite Miller being Wilson's hot read, there really wasn't anything Miller could have done to know his route would need to be altered. Sometimes you can't do anything about a lineman being beaten that bad.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams just have our number. 13 sacks the last two games and the one before that Wilson was pressured all game and threw 3 picks. Fisher just has our number as far as the pass rush goes and when you throw in a decimated offensive line then it's a disaster waiting to happen. Why can't they play like this against other teams?

But we need more quick hitters when we see fronts like the Rams are throwing at us. They were loading up the line and we did nothing to get them out of it. You'd think after the 10th time that they stacked the line we'd have something dialed up to take advantage of it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who hate Bevell's play calling here's an article for you.

Examining the Seahawks' struggling offense: Darrell Bevell's predictable playcalling, refusal to adjust to blame - Field Gulls

Some interesting thought here.

"One criticism drifting among Seahawk fans is that our current backups (and even some starters) "aren't getting it done", and, therefore, the front office should have "done something."

"Seattle has $14 million of its cap currently paying offensive linemen who were acquired in, or kept from, free agency (Giacomini, McQuistan, and Unger). Along with the contracts for Carpenter and Okung, that's $25.5M, about 22% of the current cap spending (excluding dead money). In four drafts, Carroll and Schneider have used 3 out of their highest 8 (first and second round) draft picks on the offensive line."

Yards to go pass attempts pass success Wilson run RW run success RB attempts RB success Total Success 1 3In 38 situations (with 3-7 yards to go on 3rd/4th down), Seattle has handed off the ball zero times. Oh-for-thirty-eight. Despite the fact that the running success rate (based on other runs) is equal to the actual passing success rate at 3 yards, and significantly greater at 4, 5 and 6 yards.
Does Darrell Bevell think that Jeff Fisher is incapable of reading a stat sheet?
I tire of the apologists who say that there is more to coaching than numbers. Of course there is. Just like there's more to coaching than sports medicine. In both cases, it is vital that the coach have a solid understanding of the principles and that he rely on experts to cover any gaps.
What would you do with a coach who responded to injury by waving around a voodoo doll, chanting a spell, and then telling the injured player to get his "cured" self back onto the field?
Fire his ass.
Bevell's inability to understand game theory and predictability makes him unfit to call plays. Whatever other value he provides the team, he should at least be stripped of those duties and assigned book reports on Clausewitz and Sun Tzu.
In the meantime, you can replace him with these:

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Examining the Seahawks' struggling offense: Darrell Bevell's predictable playcalling, refusal to adjust to blame - Field Gulls

"One criticism drifting among Seahawk fans is that our current backups (and even some starters) "aren't getting it done", and, therefore, the front office should have "done something."

"Seattle has $14 million of its cap currently paying offensive linemen who were acquired in, or kept from, free agency (Giacomini, McQuistan, and Unger). Along with the contracts for Carpenter and Okung, that's $25.5M, about 22% of the current cap spending (excluding dead money). In four drafts, Carroll and Schneider have used 3 out of their highest 8 (first and second round) draft picks on the offensive line."

Yards to go pass attempts pass success Wilson run RW run success RB attempts RB success Total Success 1 3In 38 situations (with 3-7 yards to go on 3rd/4th down), Seattle has handed off the ball zero times. Oh-for-thirty-eight. Despite the fact that the running success rate (based on other runs) is equal to the actual passing success rate at 3 yards, and significantly greater at 4, 5 and 6 yards.
Does Darrell Bevell think that Jeff Fisher is incapable of reading a stat sheet?
I tire of the apologists who say that there is more to coaching than numbers. Of course there is. Just like there's more to coaching than sports medicine. In both cases, it is vital that the coach have a solid understanding of the principles and that he rely on experts to cover any gaps.
What would you do with a coach who responded to injury by waving around a voodoo doll, chanting a spell, and then telling the injured player to get his "cured" self back onto the field?
Fire his ass.
Bevell's inability to understand game theory and predictability makes him unfit to call plays. Whatever other value he provides the team, he should at least be stripped of those duties and assigned book reports on Clausewitz and Sun Tzu.

We've only been saying this since week 1. You can have all the NFL talent in the world but if the coaches don't call a solid game and get you in the right formations, you'll get beat.

It's not like that in Baseball, Hockey or Basketball where every play is determined by a coach.

As far as the OL it's 2 not 3. It was only Okung, an easy pick and Carpenter who was in the 2011 class that have been drafted in the 1st 2 rounds. Plus, the whole class busted out after Costanzo went to Indy.

We've only drafted 3 OL in the 1st 6 rounds over the past 4 years. That's really not that much.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fire his ass.

About that first point in quotes... are they referring to people who say that the Seahawks should have made a trade before the deadline or picked a guy up off the street to play instead of McQuistan and Bowie or are they referring to people who think that the Seahawks should have gone out before the season and gotten better backups based on the, then highly unlikely, scenario of losing both starting tackles? It's kinda unclear in the quote itself. You could make a case for making a trade for a guy depending on what you'd have to give up to get him, but there's no way that the front office could have foreseen before the season that both tackles would be spending a significant portion of the first half of the season and into the second half of the season inactive due to injury.