• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Center

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, still agree with imac. not just the wham blocks, but there are other plays where he comes in motion and acts as a 2nd fullback. He might not pancake them every time, but he does enough to let Gore and Hunter pick up extra yards

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
With the complexities of this offense, I would really rather not turn that role over to a rookie.

I would if his name is Tyler Eifert just because he's a big, long-armed dude who'd be a threat in the end zone, has great ball skills, and he's a strong guy for the running game. He might not be as good at running some of the routes as Walker is, but he'd more than make up for it over the middle and in the straight-ahead running game. I'm not a fan of Ertz at all, and I haven't decided about the guy from UCLA because I'm gonna have to watch him more...

Anwyay, if you're the GM are you gonna give him another 2-3 million a season to keep him around? (That's just my best bet as to how much he's worth on the open market).

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would if his name is Tyler Eifert just because he's a big, long-armed dude who'd be a threat in the end zone, has great ball skills, and he's a strong guy for the running game. He might not be as good at running some of the routes as Walker is, but he'd more than make up for it over the middle and in the straight-ahead running game. I'm not a fan of Ertz at all, and I haven't decided about the guy from UCLA because I'm gonna have to watch him more...

Anwyay, if you're the GM are you gonna give him another 2-3 million a season to keep him around? (That's just my best bet as to how much he's worth on the open market).

So you're going to make fairly significant changes to the offense for a rookie who will be the second best player on the team at his position?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So you're going to make fairly significant changes to the offense for a rookie who will be the second best player on the team at his position?

Yes. If he's Tyler Eifert. And being named the 2nd best TE behind Vernon Davis isn't exactly an indictment.

I'm not completely oposed to bringing Walker back, but I'm looking at the roster for next year, and I'm just not willing to give him 2-3 million a year. Are you?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes. If he's Tyler Eifert. And being named the 2nd best TE behind Vernon Davis isn't exactly an indictment.

I'm not completely oposed to bringing Walker back, but I'm looking at the roster for next year, and I'm just not willing to give him 2-3 million a year. Are you?

Yeah, given what he brings to the offense I am. I'm not re-inventing the offense for a rookie who is the second best player on the team at his position.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all those balls walker drops. eifert would catch. enough said...

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is who I'm interested in seeing. I've only read about him, never seen him play. The most interesting thing I read was when he dominated Sylvester Williams (who could be a 1st round pick).

Mario Benavides, C, Louisville
Height: 6-4. Weight: 300.
Projected 40 Time: 5.15.
Projected Round (2012): 3-4.
12/1/12: Benavides started the season strong. He had an excellent game against North Carolina and defensive tackle Sylvester Williams. Benavides has been a strong run-blocker and good pass-protector for Teddy Bridgewater in 2012.

8/22/12: Mario Benavides enters his senior season having started the past three years at center for the Cardinals. Benavides missed the first three games of last season with a knee injury, but he returned to start the final 10 games. Benavides is experienced, and if he plays well in 2012, he should solidify his stock as a mid-round pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd8CtM6Zdb4

two years ago highlights. He seems like the type of player we'll start to hear more about come post season activities.

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2012/12/3/3724754/mario-benavides-one-of-six-rimington-award-finalists

Last edited by a moderator:

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a good center is very important. A good center will make good presnap protection reads and that will help the QB call an audible or know where to look for a blitz.

To me a good center is like a good catcher in baseball. He will make a good pitcher look great and an OK pitcher look good.

If the niners can find a good Center they should draft him in the first or second round. It is not a sexy pick, but it would be an important one.

But my choice for a first round pick would be a NT or DE as a low 1st. But I would love it if they moved up and got a Big WR in the mold of a Owens/Julio Jones. Someone who can catch a 5 yard pass and have the strength and speed to turn it into a TD.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a good center is very important. A good center will make good presnap protection reads and that will help the QB call an audible or know where to look for a blitz.

To me a good center is like a good catcher in baseball. He will make a good pitcher look great and an OK pitcher look good.

If the niners can find a good Center they should draft him in the first or second round. It is not a sexy pick, but it would be an important one.

But my choice for a first round pick would be a NT or DE as a low 1st. But I would love it if they moved up and got a Big WR in the mold of a Owens/Julio Jones. Someone who can catch a 5 yard pass and have the strength and speed to turn it into a TD.

best available Defensive Lineman is my preference too, unless somehow the 49ers keep Soap and RJF... which would probably take a miracle

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yeah, given what he brings to the offense I am. I'm not re-inventing the offense for a rookie who is the second best player on the team at his position.

I think you have to re-invent the offense every year regardless. Don't want to get stale & predictable.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how I'd feel spending another 1st rounder on an OL, but who knows? I would like to bolster depth on both lines, and I like what I've seen from Jones.

I would spend a first and a late round to move up for a good C, I cant take another year of Goodwins BS

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Indeed, call me old school. But I think football starts and ends in the trenches. If you spend 5 first round picks on 5 OL then chances are you have a damn good one. That alone should help Kaep in progressing into a really good QB for the long haul. On D its likely that Soap is leaving via FA so maybe a 2nd on a NT or 3rd and retain RJF. I would also like to keep Goldson. Maybe add a good kicker and I dont see a weak link.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, call me old school. But I think football starts and ends in the trenches. If you spend 5 first round picks on 5 OL then chances are you have a damn good one. That alone should help Kaep in progressing into a really good QB for the long haul. On D its likely that Soap is leaving via FA so maybe a 2nd on a NT or 3rd and retain RJF. I would also like to keep Goldson. Maybe add a good kicker and I dont see a weak link.

i don't really see any NT this year. but i wouldn't mind replacing both safeties with reid and mcdonald in the draft. i think both would do well in our system and both are physical.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't really see any NT this year. but i wouldn't mind replacing both safeties with reid and mcdonald in the draft. i think both would do well in our system and both are physical.

you would go with 2 green safeties???

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you would go with 2 green safeties???

they're well coached and experienced. i think they can come in and do a good job. goldson is playing well but can we afford to pay him the highest salary in the league at the safety position?

my2cents

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not sure how I'd feel spending another 1st rounder on an OL, but who knows? I would like to bolster depth on both lines, and I like what I've seen from Jones.

Drafting offensive linemen is like having insurance, you can never have too much :)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Walker HAS value but not so much he can't be replaced next off-season? not calling for him to be replaced but if they do, fine.

how many snaps does he get each game? he is a role player/situational player, so don't see how he is top 2 or even top 5 in importance to our offense? i'd place all 11 starters ahead of Walker in regards to value.

no matter what formation we move into, whether run or pass, all linemen are playing and must execute. so all linemen alone are more important than Walker.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
for drafting ideas, an NT is important for sure, but wonder if we need to spend a 1st round pick on one? the reason is the passing trend, and how defenses play a lot of nickel.

if an NT is the BPA when we pick, by all means draft him. but since we're speculating this early, i'd think QB first and next OLB (with pass rushing skills). yes, QB first cause we can't conclude Kaep is it, AND will stay healthy for years.

an OLB for the same reason as NT......the passing trend. wouldn't pass on a 'Ware' or 'Hali' because we already have Aldon and Brooks.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker HAS value but not so much he can't be replaced next off-season? not calling for him to be replaced but if they do, fine.

how many snaps does he get each game? he is a role player/situational player, so don't see how he is top 2 or even top 5 in importance to our offense? i'd place all 11 starters ahead of Walker in regards to value.

no matter what formation we move into, whether run or pass, all linemen are playing and must execute. so all linemen alone are more important than Walker.

I'm pretty sure he plays quite a bit not only on offense but also has duties in the return game both punt and kickoff. But I agree he isn't top 5 IMO but he is also important to the team.

I won't be to upset if he wasn't here but I won't be happy if he left. Kinda feel like Lawson from last year if he stayed great but if he leaves :popsnoidea:.