• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ced Benson is the 2011 TEAM CANCER

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On offense we need to upgrade the guard position and running back position. On defense we need a safety and another pass-rusher. Safeties and guards generally don't go in the first round unless they have exceptional talent (which I would be good with if the right prospect were available). If figure they will definitely either use their first on a hybrid d-end/linebacker (I hate this, but Marvin thinks he can coach) or a running back.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both arguments are true. You always have your Barry Sanders, and your Adrian Petersons that are going to look good no matter what.

But, there are a lot of teams with really good OL and average backs that get a lot out of those average backs because of how good their OL is. Same can be said for some QB's. Palmer behind a really good OL, and has plenty of time to throw is a really good QB. Put him behind an OL that will require him to move around a lot and he sucks (and you can argue he sucks in general, I digress...sake of argument here).

It is always said that when you build a team you start up front. Offensive and defensive lines. If you have a good OL, then you will automatically get more out of your RB's and QB's (and conversley WR's). Now, that doesn't mean that any average joe can sit back there and do the job...you still need talent. But having a really good OL can make an average RB or QB look a lot better than maybe his talent allows. The truly talented QB's and RB's are able to adapt and over-come. See Aaron Rodgers this past weekend.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Right, didn't you know, Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, Walter Peyton. They only looked good because of their offensive lines, it had nothing to do with their own talent.

I'm pretty sure it was a cocktail of both, the ol being just good enough to let the talent shine, but don't mind me, I'm just an idiot.

I'm having a hard time disagreeing considering I said - and have said in the past - with the exception of the few. But the hell with reading comprehension. If we throw out general statements - e.g. QBs are the most important players on the field - that obviously hold true, relevant or not, then our argument is undeniable.

[/rant]

For the record, a quick google search shows this isn't a concept that hasn't been discussed or considered in the NFL world, despite what a few here would like you to believe.

(BTW, the first article is great in using excellent references to the Steelers past to make the case).

But then, you can find a good back almost anywhere, and the Steelers have been proof of that for 30 years. Runners might not be easy to keep for a long time because of injuries and age and how it can sap the talent right out of a good back, such as what happened to Once Fast Willie Parker, but finding them is not difficult.

We are not speaking about great running backs, those like Jim Brown and, yes, O.J. Simpson, but merely good ones. Tom Donahoe, former Steelers director of football operations, famously said once that wide receivers were a dime a dozen and he, too, was not talking about the great ones. He meant good, solid, every-day wide receivers. You can almost put running backs in that category as well.

On the Steelers: Running backs always available

Over the years, most NFL teams know they can always secure a running back through free agency or pick one from the mid to late rounds of the draft. Running backs have become a dime a dozen in the NFL, and there always seems to be plenty of available running backs come free agency period. It's not that the running back position is no longer important, it's just that there are plenty of good players available every year, and because teams can move running backs in and out of their offenses, it seems like this trend won't end any time soon.

2010 NFL Free Agency: Top 5 Impact Running Backs - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

The running back position in the NFL is unique in that it is easy to find a capable performer. For example, the Detroit Lions last week picked up Jerome Harrison as a free agent. Harrison hasn't started in over a year but when he last did, he set a single-game franchise rushing yard record for the Cleveland Browns with the third-highest total in a game ever.
As the saying goes, running backs are a dime a dozen***8230;.

Cedric Benson Headed to Jail, Cincinnati Bengals Should Cut Ties with Moronic RB | Bleacher Report

He said he was a good running back for the Lions, but emphasized the importance of an exceptional offensive line.

***8220;You can have the best backs, but if those boys up front are garbage then that run game is gonna be garbage," Joseph said. "I think running backs are dime a dozen. It goes back to who's blocking for those running backs. I'm not on OU's staff, but I can say Dominique was a good kid who retained what we taught him."

OUDaily.com | OU's Whaley makes his mark after rising through the ranks

Last edited by a moderator:

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think both arguments are true. You always have your Barry Sanders, and your Adrian Petersons that are going to look good no matter what.

But, there are a lot of teams with really good OL and average backs that get a lot out of those average backs because of how good their OL is. Same can be said for some QB's. Palmer behind a really good OL, and has plenty of time to throw is a really good QB. Put him behind an OL that will require him to move around a lot and he sucks (and you can argue he sucks in general, I digress...sake of argument here).

It is always said that when you build a team you start up front. Offensive and defensive lines. If you have a good OL, then you will automatically get more out of your RB's and QB's (and conversley WR's). Now, that doesn't mean that any average joe can sit back there and do the job...you still need talent. But having a really good OL can make an average RB or QB look a lot better than maybe his talent allows. The truly talented QB's and RB's are able to adapt and over-come. See Aaron Rodgers this past weekend.

Exactly!

And combine that with the following additional facts:

1) after the top couple RBs, they all generally fall into the same category/tier (i.e. most of the difference in stats is related to situation and not skill)
2) they have a very low shelf life (few make it very far passed their rookie contracts)
3) for the last 3-4 years, the league has slowly been becoming a passing league, and probably has already made its most significant leap this past season
4) They're not near as important to an overall team's or offense's success as most, if not every, other positions.

For a team with a bunch of holes, it makes sense to address those other holes first. And while addressing those holes, see if you can't find a "gem" later in the draft (I wouldn't be opposed to 4th round) or undrafted until you have few to no glaring holes before trying to hit a homerun on an AP-potential RB in the first round.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the OT....Cedric sure does think a lot of himself. He's in the top for carries and yet he is still complaining about not getting enough work. I think a lot of it may be the fact that he's only on a 1 year deal...if he loses carries now to Scott and/or Leonard thats less of a chance for him to showcase for a new deal next year. Be it with the Bengals or elsewhere. Though, if he can give up about 7-9 touches a game, he'll be a lot fresher down the stretch, I would imagine.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I believe you missed the underlying point in my post.

Oh well though, it's what we do around here anyways. Beat dead horses. We're the Bengals for crying out loud.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would personally like to get one of the top LT's in the first, then move Whit to either RT or OG where I think he would be better than he is at LT. If we move Whit to RT you move Tits to OG where he is better suited anyways. Then we have bookend T's and upgrade the OG position too boot.

And I think Lamar Miller in the 2nd is the way to go. This kid looks amazing.

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I believe you missed the underlying point in my post.

Oh well though, it's what we do around here anyways. Beat dead horses. We're the Bengals for crying out loud.

I don't think we've beat any dead horses until Sunday when we play a Peyton-less Colts.

I'm oh so pun-ny today

jwil007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ced CRY BABY Benson is the ONLY 2011 Team Cancer

"I dont want to share carries with another back"

Dude shut the hell up and play the game....I want to see if this idiot thinks he will get BIG MONEY in FA......