• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CBS Sports ranking all P5 coaches

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were under sanctions that were slightly better than what smu had to deal with. People were talking about how PSU would need a decade to get back to some semblance of a top 15 program.
think you need to thank the current head coach down in Houston for that, no?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

O'Brien did a great job in his two years. He was fortunate that there wasn't that many kids that bailed on the program after Joe PA got fired. He was able to keep it afloat for a couple seasons. But the B1G was also terrible in those 2 seasons he was there. The reduction in scholarships wasn't really felt until Franklin's first season.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin backed into his only championship by a controversial 4th down call that prevented Harbaugh from getting his win vs. OSU and division title. Even so, I'd have to really think about it. Assuming we flipped situations that would mean Harbaugh has a losing record vs. PSU, OSU and MSU. That seems like a bad trade for backing into one title in Harbaugh's 5 years.
Here's what you keep ignoring: There's no question OSU has been the best team in the conference over the past few years. However, Franklin has competed with them every year, and we needed massive comebacks two straight years just to beat them by 1 point. Meanwhile, Harbaugh has been getting his ass handed to him worse and worse for 4 straight years by OSU.

Also, your constant complaining about "the spot" isn't proving your point to a single person, just so you know.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also gave up over a TD less a game in 2019 compared to 2018. Definitely seems like things are trending in the right direction.
True, but compared to previous years, Big 12 offenses were pedestrian last year IMHO. So that needs to be taken into consideration. Tech's wasn't too swift. TCU's damn sure wasn't. WVU didn't seem as good. Neither did Okie Lite. Again, it could be my view of things but they didn't look too swift.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly starting to get to the point where I'm wondering if Dabo isn't currently better than Saban. Obviously all-time Saban is still ahead, but looking at right now going forward, Dabo might've taken over.
Could very well be. But, if Saban were in the ACC the past couple of years wouldn't he look like the Saban of old?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what you keep ignoring: There's no question OSU has been the best team in the conference over the past few years. However, Franklin has competed with them every year, and we needed massive comebacks two straight years just to beat them by 1 point. Meanwhile, Harbaugh has been getting his ass handed to him worse and worse for 4 straight years by OSU.

Also, your constant complaining about "the spot" isn't proving your point to a single person, just so you know.
THat's because OSU is laser focused on taking it's 5 star talent on destroying our world like the death star eating planets. PSU is like the Jedi who have to find the air vent to destroy the death star and occasionally come close.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so sad to see what has happened to Chip.

Lincoln Riley is very much overrated.

MARIO Cristobal is highly underrated.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THat's because OSU is laser focused on taking it's 5 star talent on destroying our world like the death star eating planets. PSU is like the Jedi who have to find the air vent to destroy the death star and occasionally come close.
This is 100% wrong. Try again.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'Brien was able to navigate them through the first two years of that cesspool. Kind of like Grobe at Baylor that one year. Those guys deserve medals for thier work IMO.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'Brien was able to navigate them through the first two years of that cesspool. Kind of like Grobe at Baylor that one year. Those guys deserve medals for thier work IMO.
I don't give Grobe any type of credit. I hate Baylor but Rhule saved it. Grobe did ZERO recruiting his one year and was all in on trying to make the playoffs with that heavy SR team. He didn't do any favors for Matt coming in.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so sad to see what has happened to Chip.

Lincoln Riley is very much overrated.

MARIO Cristobal is highly underrated.

LOL Mario biggest asset is finding the few boosters who are ready to buy certain recruitments.. it's also helped that SoCal is STRUGGLING on the field with a lost coach in Chip and a deadman walking (apparently in a marathon) on one leg in Helton.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't give Grobe any type of credit. I hate Baylor but Rhule saved it. Grobe did ZERO recruiting his one year and was all in on trying to make the playoffs with that heavy SR team. He didn't do any favors for Matt coming in.
That may be true but we'll have to disagree. All Grobe was asked to do "get through" that season. No one could have done much better dealing with that mess. Pretty sure he only did it as a favor to Grant Teaff.

But, I will agree with you that Rhule did one hell of a job. Like Grobe, I can't think of one coach out there than could have done better coming into that stinky ass situation. Even might Saban himself couldn't have IMO.

Who do you feel was out there that would have done a better job than Grobe keeping that sinking ship afloat for one year?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may be true but we'll have to disagree. All Grobe was asked to do "get through" that season. No one could have done much better dealing with that mess. Pretty sure he only did it as a favor to Grant Teaff.

But, I will agree with you that Rhule did one hell of a job. Like Grobe, I can't think of one coach out there than could have done better coming into that stinky ass situation. Even might Saban himself couldn't have IMO.

Who do you feel was out there that would have done a better job than Grobe keeping that sinking ship afloat for one year?
honestly i think anyone could have.. the ad just asked him to leave the offense to briles jr and the defense with the Briles DC.. wasn't like Grobe hired his own staff or anything. But he did a huge disservice by not even trying to recruit

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but compared to previous years, Big 12 offenses were pedestrian last year IMHO. So that needs to be taken into consideration. Tech's wasn't too swift. TCU's damn sure wasn't. WVU didn't seem as good. Neither did Okie Lite. Again, it could be my view of things but they didn't look too swift.
That's because Iowa State's defense played like a boss last year! :)

We Are Decent

Depressed Penn State Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is someone seriously trying to say Harbaugh is above Franklin? Wtf? Harbaugh probably isn't even Top 5 in his own conference. What a joke.

This whole "losing records" to OSU/MSU/UM is also bullshit, Penn State is set to dominate Michigan State for a couple or few years now and Franklin is clearly having the edge against Harbaugh in the future. I'm fine with losing to OSU (well not really but you get what I mean) if the games are actually close rather than be dominated like what OSU does to Michigan.

I kid you not since 2016 for total points:
OSU leads PSU 115-105
OSU leads UM 179-113

Franklin is the clear #2 in the conference, another achievement others haven't mentioned is that Franklin has never lost to Iowa, either away or at home (Kinneck Stadium is a very difficult place to play) Harbaugh and even Meyer can't say the same.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is someone seriously trying to say Harbaugh is above Franklin? Wtf? Harbaugh probably isn't even Top 5 in his own conference. What a joke.

This whole "losing records" to OSU/MSU/UM is also bullshit, Penn State is set to dominate Michigan State for a couple or few years now and Franklin is clearly having the edge against Harbaugh in the future. I'm fine with losing to OSU (well not really but you get what I mean) if the games are actually close rather than be dominated like what OSU does to Michigan.

OSU leads PSU 115-105
OSU leads UM 179-113

Franklin is the clear #2 in the conference, another achievement others haven't mentioned is that Franklin has never lost to Iowa, either away or at home (Kinneck Stadium is a very difficult place to play) Harbaugh and even Meyer can't say the same.

Franklin hasn’t come within 34 points of Michigan at the B1G house. He has a losing record to Michigan. No, he clearly doesn’t have the edge in the series in the future.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OSU leads PSU 115-105
OSU leads UM 179-113

You don't understand. If a coach is paid a lot of money they are good. PLain and simple.

We Are Decent

Depressed Penn State Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin hasn’t come within 34 points of Michigan at the B1G house. He has a losing record to Michigan. No, he clearly doesn’t have the edge in the series in the future.
Huh? He got within 5 points in 2014. In 2016+2018 were clear mismatches, PSU was playing Michigan when they were Top 5 back then. This time Penn State isn't predicted to be worse nor is Michigan predicted to be a great Top 5 team again.