• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CBS poll -- Top 25 most influential people in college sports

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 25 most influential people in college sports - CBSSports.com

CBS sports had a voting panel of 12 people from all over college athletics vote on the most influential people in College Sports and here is the compiled list:

1. Jim Delany, Big Ten Commissioner
  2. Greg Sankey, SEC Commissioner
  3. Bob Bowlsby, Big 12 Commissioner
  4. Claudia Wilken, Federal Judge
  5. Mark Emmert, NCAA President
  6. Larry Scott, Pac-12 Commissioner
  7. Jeffrey Kessler, Martin Jenkins Attorney
  8. Mike Slive, Ex-SEC Commissioner
  9. Oliver Luck, NCAA Executive Vice President
  10. Bill Hancock, College Football Playoff Executive Director
  11. (tied 11) Mike Krzyzewski, Duke Basketball Coach
  12. (tied 11) Urban Meyer, Ohio State Football Coach
  13. John Swofford, ACC Commissioner
  14. (tied 14) Jeff Long, Arkansas Athletic Director
  15. (tied 14) Jimmy Sexton, Agent
  16. Nick Saban, Alabama Football Coach
  17. Kirk Schulz, Kansas State President
  18. Phil Knight, Nike Co-Founder/Chairman
  19. Michael Hausfeld, Ed O'Bannon Attorney
  20. Jack Swarbrick, Notre Dame Athletic Director
  21. Brian Hainline, NCAA Chief Medical Officer
  22. (tied 22) Kevin Plank, Under Armour Founder/CEO
  23. (tied 22) Jim Phillips, Northwestern Athletic Director
  24. (tied 22) Harris Pastides, South Carolina President
  25. Donald Remy, NCAA Chief Legal Officer
The also did the same thing with Athletic Directors and College Coaches below:
The most influential coaches and athletic directors in college sports - CBSSports.com

College Coaches:
T-1 Mike Krzyzewski, Duke men's basketball
T-1 Urban Meyer, Ohio State football
3. Nick Saban, Alabama football
4. John Calipari, Kentucky men's basketball
5. Tom Izzo, Michigan State men's basketball
6. Roy Williams, North Carolina men's basketball
7. All Power Five conference football coaches
8. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan football
9. Bill Snyder, Kansas State football
10. Mark Richt, Georgia football

College ADs:
1. Jeff Long, Arkansas
2. Jack Swarbrick, Notre Dame
3. Jim Phillips, Northwestern
4. Pat Haden, USC
5. Jeremy Foley, Florida
6. Gene Smith, Ohio State
7. Kevin White, Duke
8. Joe Castiglione, Oklahoma
9. Dan Guerrero, UCLA
10. Mitch Barnhart, Kentucky

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha. Anyone else find it funny that the president of the college sports organization is 5th?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha. Anyone else find it funny that the president of the college sports organization is 5th?
Or an attorney that's not for the northwestern players at 6.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting and not surprising in the least.

Is somewhat surprising for me. The types of influence must be broad in nature. Big influence in some coaching searches etc because of how many big names he represents, but I don't see where he would have influence over the sport itself.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the NCAA is made up of it's member schools, so ultimately the schools have all the power etc.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is somewhat surprising for me. The types of influence must be broad in nature. Big influence in some coaching searches etc because of how many big names he represents, but I don't see where he would have influence over the sport itself.
660794791.gif

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you think he is the one who decides where the coaches go? Because the way I see it, he just makes sure the coaches get paid well and the coaches are the ones who decide where they want to go.

I remember when we tried to hire Saban, it wasn't Sexton we had to impress.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think he is the one who decides where the coaches go? Because the way I see it, he just makes sure the coaches get paid well and the coaches are the ones who decide where they want to go.

But he is the one spreading rumors that Saban was going to Texas costing you millions more one year after signing a multi-year deal with Alabama.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really because the NCAA really doesn't have much power. The conference leaders voluntarily joined their organization and could theoretically leave it in an instant; which would destroy that organization.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's pretty damn powerful to me.

Sexton has managed to represent coaches at Auburn and Alabama & USC and UCLA at the same time. He has Jimbo Fisher, and he basically helped manage the Mack Brown exodus/Mack Strong intro at Texas. The guy is college football from an agent's perspective. He also represents several NFL coaches, and is a close to friend to guys like Bill Parcells and Tim Tebow. The dude has clout, needless to say.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not like Phil Knight at 18. I am not really sure that a billionaire, apparel maker, that has a real agenda should have that much influence. His interest is only one school. That tells me that there is a lot of corruption.( captain obvious alert) Same with Kevin Plank at 22, but all his money cannot seem to help Maryland. Yet.

A real pity that lawyers and agents are on the list, and they say that there is amateurism in college athletics. Right.

I would have thought the CFB Playoff Committee would be in there. Jeff Long and Pat Haden are on the CFB Committee. I guess they represent.

Poor Ken Starr, he is probably figuring out how to sue everybody to get on the list. He thinks he is real important.

Coaches all make sense.

I wander what dirty laundry the Northwestern AD has on everybody?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does that mean the Tallahassee police is #26?

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does that mean the Tallahassee police is #26?
The answer is no since they only provide cover ups for one team. Now if they decided to franchise and start offering those services to teams all over the country you would see their ranking jump.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer is no since they only provide cover ups for one team. Now if they decided to franchise and start offering those services to teams all over the country you would see their ranking jump.
They covered up for one player that is the biggest reason why FSU went undefeated in 2013 and made the 2014 playoffs. I would say that helping to account for 25% of the playoff teams is pretty impactful.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not like Phil Knight at 18. I am not really sure that a billionaire, apparel maker, that has a real agenda should have that much influence. His interest is only one school. That tells me that there is a lot of corruption.( captain obvious alert) Same with Kevin Plank at 22, but all his money cannot seem to help Maryland. Yet.

While the bulk of Knight's money has gone to Oregon (his alma mater) it is untrue that his interest is only one school. He has also given over 100million to Stanford (where he also graduated).
He has donated to Oregon State as well including helping them reatain their baseball coach after he won 2 titles and was being pursued by others.
He has also donated to the higher eduction for all of Oregon's universities including those that compete at lower levels
Oregon health Sciences University Cancer research.
When it comes to Nike it self Oregon is like 4th on the list as far as deals go. Alabama and North Carolina have bigger deals and it sounds like Michigan is going to be right up there too.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A real pity that lawyers and agents are on the list, and they say that there is amateurism in college athletics. Right.

I would have thought the CFB Playoff Committee would be in there. Jeff Long and Pat Haden are on the CFB Committee. I guess they represent.

Poor Ken Starr, he is probably figuring out how to sue everybody to get on the list. He thinks he is real important.

Coaches all make sense.

I wander what dirty laundry the Northwestern AD has on everybody?

I don't think his interests are only one school. How many teams have Nike contracts? How many of them have won national titles over the past 20 years? Oregon doesn't even have the largest Nike contract currently, that's currently FSU (until the Michigan details are released).

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban tied with Coach K :markmay:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprising that 4 of the top 6 coaches were basketball. Probably because they seem to be more stationary while football coaches jump like frogs on a hot plate.