• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CBA question for you Cmon

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A question got brought up in the WHL playoff thread on the main board that I was hoping you might have an answer to. Nino Niederreiter (NYI) was kept in the NHL the entire season as a 19 year old. The Islanders obviously will not make the playoffs, but their AHL affiliate Bridgeport most likely will. Niederreiter is not eligible to be returned to the WHL this year so the question is will the Islanders be able to send Niederreiter to Bridgeport after the season ends even though he'll still be 19 in hockey years and was drafted through the CHL? I believe the answer is yes, but I can't find confirmation either way anywhere so I was hoping you could clear this up. Thanks in advance!

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A question got brought up in the WHL playoff thread on the main board that I was hoping you might have an answer to. Nino Niederreiter (NYI) was kept in the NHL the entire season as a 19 year old. The Islanders obviously will not make the playoffs, but their AHL affiliate Bridgeport most likely will. Niederreiter is not eligible to be returned to the WHL this year so the question is will the Islanders be able to send Niederreiter to Bridgeport after the season ends even though he'll still be 19 in hockey years and was drafted through the CHL? I believe the answer is yes, but I can't find confirmation either way anywhere so I was hoping you could clear this up. Thanks in advance!

This actually isn't covered in the CBA it's based on an entirely different agreement between the CHL, AHL, and NHL. Assuming he was added to Bridgeports "Clear Day Roster" or "In Residence List" then the answer to the question is, yes. Qualifications for AHL eligibility for players coming out of one of the CHL leagues are either they must turn 20 years of age on or before Dec 31st of that league year or they must have at least one full years experience at the NHL level. When the Islanders season is officailly over Niederreiter will qualify under the later requirement.

Case in point of the later requirement would be Patrice Bergeron playing in the AHL during the lockout at the age of 19.

Last edited by a moderator:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Cmon. I was pretty sure he was eligible, but I just wanted to make sure before spouting off on things that I didn't know about. It's really nice to have someone around who knows about all these intricacies.