• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CB FA's

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know you don't like hearing it, but you have to remember he is still new to the position. He could still get better with experience, what they are saying isn't that unreasonable.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we'll be big buyers in the CB market.

49ers look to trade Alex Smith; Chiefs, Cardinals loom as possible destinations

Since the articles is mainly about Smith I'll post the segment that concerns our interest in FA CBs.

As San Francisco front-office representatives met with several agents to gauge the free-agent market on Friday at the NFL scouting combine, there was a common theme to their discussions.

Don't worry, we'll have plenty of money once we trade Smith. The 49ers spent much of the day checking with agents on the upcoming cornerback market, which will feature Aqib Talib, Leodis McKelvin, Greg Toler, Cary Williams, Sean Smith, Derek Cox, Quentin Jammer, Dominique Rogers-Cromartie and Michael Jenkins. Several of those players figure to cost in the area of $8 million to $9 million per year as the 49ers search for a No. 1 cornerback.

mckelvin would be a good pickup

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the reasoning behind saying the 49ers are going to get a CB and then cut Rogers. That still keeps Culliver on the field and after the Super Bowl, I have a feeling all September he is going to be targeted and if it is successful for those opponents then everyone after that will just continue to pick on Cully.

I mean yeah, Rogers play dropped off from 2011, but it wasn't him who kept giving up all of the miracle passes in the playoffs... unless you count that one in the 4th qtr against the Falcons where the guy illegally grabbed Rogers shoulder pad and yanked him off balance and then he slipped and fell to the ground.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The 49ers spent much of the day checking with agents on the upcoming cornerback market, which will feature Aqib Talib, Leodis McKelvin, Greg Toler, Cary Williams, Sean Smith, Derek Cox, Quentin Jammer, Dominique Rogers-Cromartie and Michael Jenkins. Several of those players figure to cost in the area of $8 million to $9 million per year as the 49ers search for a No. 1 cornerback.

Michael Jenkins? He's a WR...

Oh! They mean MIKE Jenkins. I just figured that out as I was typing this. I had no idea he was a FA.

Pass.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yep, teams have to overpay for FA's in most case, probably 99% of cases? the higher end FA's - like Ashoumougha was - only rachets up over paying.

not to say we should never pursue high end FA's, but we can't just add anyone with a big name. since we're up to the cap and with an eye to NEXT season's FA's, don't see us adding anybody pricey?

I completely disagree. Teams overpay for 99% of high-end FAs, and those are the contracts that make headlines so it appears to be the case. But every year the vast majority of FAs change hands at very reasonable - by NFL standards - contract numbers. And in many cases, younger FAs can be great bargains.