• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CB FA's

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Antoine Cason or Dereck Cox?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Makes a heck of a lot more sense than mortgaging the farm for Revis IMO. He's a good CB & fits the Niners' defense well IMO.

I wouldn't mind cutting Rogers & adding a dash Cromartie to the team.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes a heck of a lot more sense than mortgaging the farm for Revis IMO. He's a good CB & fits the Niners' defense well IMO.

I wouldn't mind cutting Rogers & adding a dash Cromartie to the team.

Just curious. Why do you think DRC fits our defense well?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Just curious. Why do you think DRC fits our defense well?

Because the QBs who have been successful against the Niners defense have been the ones who (to a large extent) have gone to a 3 or 5-step drop and / or beat the DBs deep. QBs don't have much time to get rid of the ball against the Niners' pass-rush.

DRC is a guy with a good burst, long arms & a good vertical leap to defend aginst quick throws either in the end zone (which is where the vertical helps) or otherwise. He's also a burner, so I don't think he'd get beaten deep as much as some of the Niners' DBs. I liken him to a younger Carlos Rogers in that he's on a team that doesn't have a great pass-rush, but he's play great on the Niners. Carlos Rogers is getting old & expensive, and I think it would be a good idea to cut Rogers & go younger with DRC.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Asomugha perhaps?

Eagles are likely to release him and he'll come a heck of a lot cheaper than he did 2 years ago.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CB crop is fucking loaded in free agency.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not the popular view right now but I see something in Culliver. I think he's going to be good given time. Remember how we used to say "If you are looking for Eric Davis on the field, just look for the guy with the ball and Davis will be the guy trailing 5 yards behind him trying to catch up"? Look how well he turned out. I feel the same way about Culliver.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Looks like we'll be big buyers in the CB market.

49ers look to trade Alex Smith; Chiefs, Cardinals loom as possible destinations

Since the articles is mainly about Smith I'll post the segment that concerns our interest in FA CBs.

As San Francisco front-office representatives met with several agents to gauge the free-agent market on Friday at the NFL scouting combine, there was a common theme to their discussions.

Don't worry, we'll have plenty of money once we trade Smith. The 49ers spent much of the day checking with agents on the upcoming cornerback market, which will feature Aqib Talib, Leodis McKelvin, Greg Toler, Cary Williams, Sean Smith, Derek Cox, Quentin Jammer, Dominique Rogers-Cromartie and Michael Jenkins. Several of those players figure to cost in the area of $8 million to $9 million per year as the 49ers search for a No. 1 cornerback.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Houston and Brent Grimes need to be mentioned as well.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would the chase of a CB affect the signing of Goldson? unless its a tag.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not the popular view right now but I see something in Culliver. I think he's going to be good given time. Remember how we used to say "If you are looking for Eric Davis on the field, just look for the guy with the ball and Davis will be the guy trailing 5 yards behind him trying to catch up"? Look how well he turned out. I feel the same way about Culliver.

I agree with this too, even said so after the super bowl. He made a lot of good pass break ups throughout the season and playoffs that would have led to go ahead touchdowns. Hopefully he'll be able to leave his super bowl week behind him like kwill did with the nfc championship game last season.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 5 free agent CBs:
1) Sean Smith - he'll most likely get tagged or resigned by MIA, but I think he's the best CB on the market.
2) Nnamdi Asomugha - if he's cut, I think he'd be a great fit. But, TB has been solid on the right side, so I don't know which player would have to switch to left CB.
3) Aqib Talib - made a huge difference for NE's secondary and hopefully his legal problems are behind him.
4) DRC - kinda thin for what the niners like in their cb, but he has talent. The niner coaches should be able to coach him up better than Philly's coaches though.
5) Brent Grimes - he was good before his injury.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asomugha perhaps?

Eagles are likely to release him and he'll come a heck of a lot cheaper than he did 2 years ago.

Yeah, maybe Asomugha will do better on a good team like the Niners. I wouldn't mind getting him. You're right. Whoever gets him this season will be buying low. Unfortunately for the Eagles, they bought him when his price was sky high.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yeah, maybe Asomugha will do better on a good team like the Niners. I wouldn't mind getting him. You're right. Whoever gets him this season will be buying low. Unfortunately for the Eagles, they bought him when his price was sky high.

I love to say I told ya so Philly. :)

I have my eye on DRC & Leotis McKelvin (for both CB and PR duties).

Asomugha? Ehh... probably too expensive IMO. He's still good & should get a 3 year deal at least. I don't want any of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I love to say I told ya so Philly. :)

yep, teams have to overpay for FA's in most case, probably 99% of cases? the higher end FA's - like Ashoumougha was - only rachets up over paying.

not to say we should never pursue high end FA's, but we can't just add anyone with a big name. since we're up to the cap and with an eye to NEXT season's FA's, don't see us adding anybody pricey?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 5 free agent CBs:
1) Sean Smith - he'll most likely get tagged or resigned by MIA, but I think he's the best CB on the market.
2) Nnamdi Asomugha - if he's cut, I think he'd be a great fit. But, TB has been solid on the right side, so I don't know which player would have to switch to left CB.
3) Aqib Talib - made a huge difference for NE's secondary and hopefully his legal problems are behind him.
4) DRC - kinda thin for what the niners like in their cb, but he has talent. The niner coaches should be able to coach him up better than Philly's coaches though.

Smith not getting tagged.

Sean Smith reportedly won't get Miami Dolphins' tag - NFL.com

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

:doh::frusty::brick::smash::L:tape:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with this too, even said so after the super bowl. He made a lot of good pass break ups throughout the season and playoffs that would have led to go ahead touchdowns. Hopefully he'll be able to leave his super bowl week behind him like kwill did with the nfc championship game last season.

:hellno:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My top 5 free agent CBs:

:10: