• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CB Culliver is a Redskin

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49er fans really don't talk a lot about him. My overall impression was that most wanted him back. It appears he has kept himself out of trouble last year, and I have never heard of any locker room issues with him or him not being a team guy. I wouldn't worry about that. I think he will be fine. Not sure if you are aware, but he has pending legal issues in CA. He struck a bicyclist with his vehicle and then fled the scene of the accident. Another motorist followed him to a parking lot. When that motorist tried stopping him, he tried to flee the scene again and almost ran that person down. The police upon arresting him then found brass knuckles in the vehicle, which are illegal in CA. This all happened prior to last season. I have not heard whether any of these legal issues were resolved, but I do know the league had postponed taking action against him until the legal issues were resolved.
I had seen that and and was leery of him signing a multiple year contract with us when I read about it. Also heard tho, that while brass knuckles can be charged as a felony, it can also be more a tactical move on the part of the DA. I'm counting on the fact that our GM, SM did his due diligence on this:hope:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had seen that and and was leery of him signing a multiple year contract with us when I read about it. Also heard tho, that while brass knuckles can be charged as a felony, it can also be more a tactical move on the part of the DA. I'm counting on the fact that our GM, SM did his due diligence on this:hope:

They are a felony under state law. Doesn't mean he will be charged with a felony. Culliver plead not guilty, but with the witnesses and case against him, I can't ever imagine how he could beat that rap. I suspect his attorney is going to try and plea bargain. I wouldn't be as concerned long term. He may miss a few games. I am not sure how long a league suspension would be. Sometimes young guys make mistakes and hopefully he has learned from Some players develop a pattern of getting into legal problems or being locker room cancers. I don't see Culliver that way.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are a felony under state law. Doesn't mean he will be charged with a felony. Culliver plead not guilty, but with the witnesses and case against him, I can't ever imagine how he could beat that rap. I suspect his attorney is going to try and plea bargain. I wouldn't be as concerned long term. He may miss a few games. I am not sure how long a league suspension would be. Sometimes young guys make mistakes and hopefully he has learned from Some players develop a pattern of getting into legal problems or being locker room cancers. I don't see Culliver that way.
That was my thinking when I said the 'tactical' part. Regardless the fact that he was even involved in such a thing is a concern. I'm not a big fan of players who have off the field issues like this. But I'm willing to wait and see how this all unfolds.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did a little more digging into how Cullivers contract was laid out. Here's the breakdown from Rich Tandler.

The Redskins took something of a chance in signing free agent cornerback Chris Culliver and the initial numbers on the contract made it look like it may have been a reckless gamble. The top line numbers on the contract were four years, $32 million with $16 million guaranteed.

That looks like a fairly sizeable guarantee for a player who was charged with leaving the scene of an accident a year go and allegedly threatened a teenage witness with brass knuckles. Although the case is still pending in the legal system, the Redskins apparently believe that it won’t result in any jail time for Culliver.

But the structure of the guaranteed money gives the Redskins some protection should Roger Goodell see fit to sit Culliver down for a period of time. Per Pro Football Talk, the guaranteed money comes in the form of a $5 million signing bonus, a $3 million guaranteed salary this year and an $8 million guaranteed salary in 2016. He also has non-guaranteed salaries of $8 million in 2017 and 2018.

Should Culliver end up getting suspended for the 2014 incident the Redskins would not be liable for any of the guaranteed salary while he is suspended. Such discipline would also void any future guarantees so if Culliver should get into any trouble in the future the Redskins could be off the hook and able to wash their hands of him without a huge dead cap hit.

No doubt, the Redskins plan on Culliver being a key member of their secondary for the next four years. They have done their due diligence and have confidence that he’ll stay out of trouble. If Culliver does, he’ll have four years of nice paydays coming up. If he doesn’t, the Redskins have shielded themselves from having a huge financial liability.