• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cavs: blow it up?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 straight finals and blow it up? Jeesh. IF you reach the finals that many times, all you need to do is tweak the roster. Not blow the damn thing up.:L:L:L

There is no "tweak" that will catch the Cavs up to the Warriors. They had 2 chances to improve their team enough to at least get them a punchers chance.

But, the Pacers took OKC's offer for Paul George over the Cavs offer and just when they were about to make a trade that would have gotten them Jimmy Butler...Gilbert Grape decided that was the perfect time to fire his GM.

Bojack_Horseman

Snowflake Melter Supreme
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the Cavs is that the last 2 years they went into the draft with zero picks.

They can't supplement their vets with any kind of energy or youth.

Say what you want about the Warriors, having guys like Damian Jones, Patrick McCaw, and now Jordan Bell is good for them in practice, good for them when the team needs a boost, and the Cavs don't have any young players who can step in and provide a spark.

Look at the age of this roster-

Kyrie (25)
JR Smith (31)
Lebron (32)
Love (28)
Thompson (26)
Calderon (35)
Shumpert (27)
Korver (36)
Frye (34)
Tavares (25)
Jefferson (37)
Felder (22)
Dahntay Jones (36)
Derrick Rose (28)
Jeff Green (30)

Average age = 30.1 years old

Imagine how bad it is to manage practices with over half your roster in their 30s with bags of ice on their knees and complaining about a sore back.

Kyrie is right to want out of there, and if the Cavs were wise they would acknowledge what they did (give Lebron a couple of star-quality players and supplement them with vets to chase a championship) and why it only worked once (the Warriors added Durant), and get back to drafting some youth. Even their 2019 pick can end up with the Hawks if it falls outside the top 10. Was Kyle Korver worth that?

Lebron's not winning a title without Kyrie. Kyrie knows this team is old and he's 25 and entering his prime. Kyrie is right to want a trade, Lebron is right to feel miffed, but everyone involved knew there was a small window to chase the title, and when KD signed with GS that window closed fast.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the Cavs is that the last 2 years they went into the draft with zero picks.

They can't supplement their vets with any kind of energy or youth.

Say what you want about the Warriors, having guys like Damian Jones, Patrick McCaw, and now Jordan Bell is good for them in practice, good for them when the team needs a boost, and the Cavs don't have any young players who can step in and provide a spark.

Look at the age of this roster-

Kyrie (25)
JR Smith (31)
Lebron (32)
Love (28)
Thompson (26)
Calderon (35)
Shumpert (27)
Korver (36)
Frye (34)
Tavares (25)
Jefferson (37)
Felder (22)
Dahntay Jones (36)
Derrick Rose (28)
Jeff Green (30)

Average age = 30.1 years old

Imagine how bad it is to manage practices with over half your roster in their 30s with bags of ice on their knees and complaining about a sore back.

Kyrie is right to want out of there, and if the Cavs were wise they would acknowledge what they did (give Lebron a couple of star-quality players and supplement them with vets to chase a championship) and why it only worked once (the Warriors added Durant), and get back to drafting some youth. Even their 2019 pick can end up with the Hawks if it falls outside the top 10. Was Kyle Korver worth that?

Lebron's not winning a title without Kyrie. Kyrie knows this team is old and he's 25 and entering his prime. Kyrie is right to want a trade, Lebron is right to feel miffed, but everyone involved knew there was a small window to chase the title, and when KD signed with GS that window closed fast.

Yeah, unfortunately for Kyrie, when Lebron decided to return to Cleveland, the Cavs went from a young, rebuilding team with a bright future, to a win now team.

The Cavs really had no choice but to do whatever was necessary to try to chase titles right away. The alternative was to tell Lebron "Thanks, but no thanks" and continue with what they were doing. Imagine Cavs fans reaction if Lebron tweets "Tried to go back home, but the Cavs didn't want me."

The Cavs did a good job putting a win now roster around him too. Problem was, as you mentioned, no one knew that KD would be going to the Warriors a couple of seasons later.

Can't blame Kyrie for not wanting to stick around for another rebuild when the original one was pulled out from under him.

I will say that outside of the entertainment value, I can't really say that I'm a fan of how he's doing it, but I don't blame him for wanting out.

I do think though, that the smart thing to do would have been to keep his mouth shut for one more season, get one more trip to the finals and then demand a trade after the season. To be fair though, maybe things have gotten to the point that he didn't feel like he could keep his mouth shut for another whole season.