• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carson Wentz likely to be ‘deactivated’ on game days, Eagles coach says

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is still 77 more passes than Wentz has thrown in the NFL. The front office is trying to put as little pressure on Wentz as possible. He is the future but will have to earn his playing time. I like that approach with any player. If Wentz comes in and out plays Bradford and Daniel he will start week one. I doubt that happens but the dept chart before training camps will look a lot different on opening day.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The plan all along has been Bradford/Daniels as the 1 and 2 ... that said, if Wentz comes out and tears up the Pre-Season they could easily bump him up to #2. I know Pederson loves Daniels, but Wentz is the top priority. If they think he can best be served as the #2 as opposed to #3 that's where he will be.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is easy. Chase Daniel is way ahead of Carson Wentz. You play whoever can best win you the game week 1. That's Bradford, then it's Chase. Maybe after that it's Wentz.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently since 1967, only 4 1st round QBs saw zero PT their first year. I believe they were Carson Palmer, Aaron Rogers and Phillip Rivers...and some dude from 1967 i never heard of.

So either he's playing this year sometime, or he's got a 75% chance of being really really good.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deactivated on game days?

Dang - season has not even started yet and Wentz is already a bust

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is easy. Chase Daniel is way ahead of Carson Wentz. You play whoever can best win you the game week 1. That's Bradford, then it's Chase. Maybe after that it's Wentz.

Chase Daniel hasn't proven anything at the pro level. Has some nice pre-season stats over the years, but there's a difference between what you see in preseason and regular season. Dude's thrown 1 TD in his life along with 1 Int when stats count ... what he has going over Wentz is knowledge of Pederson's playbook, but reports are that Wentz has gobbled up the playbook already.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase Daniel hasn't proven anything at the pro level. Has some nice pre-season stats over the years, but there's a difference between what you see in preseason and regular season. Dude's thrown 1 TD in his life along with 1 Int when stats count ... what he has going over Wentz is knowledge of Pederson's playbook, but reports are that Wentz has gobbled up the playbook already.

Chase Daniel has proven something to the Head Coach. No one knows him better. Chase Daniel has seen pro speed. Chase Daniel has been at a higher level than Wentz has ever been at for over a decade.

Reports are mostly the made up ramblings of writers combined with a few hacked quotes. That said, he probably does know part of the playbook well. He's had to run some plays out there after all. But there's a big difference between knowing the plays on a video screen and knowing how to behave and react within a live play.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase Daniel has proven something to the Head Coach. No one knows him better. Chase Daniel has seen pro speed. Chase Daniel has been at a higher level than Wentz has ever been at for over a decade.

Reports are mostly the made up ramblings of writers combined with a few hacked quotes. That said, he probably does know part of the playbook well. He's had to run some plays out there after all. But there's a big difference between knowing the plays on a video screen and knowing how to behave and react within a live play.

to quote AI ... "We talkin bout practice" ... that's all Chase has proven. When it counts, Chase has one more career TD than Wentz with Wentz having less INT's :)

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can anyone have Wentz ahead (or close to even) with Daniels? At game speed with pads on this is not even close. Wentz would be destroyed. I wouldn't think of playing Wentz until week 10. Then only if we're smoking some team.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a horrible idea, but I think if injuries occur he should step in and see what he can do.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not advocating hurrying the process of getting Wentz in there ... but I don't think he's any more likely to get killed when getting in there than any other rookie QB. Joe Flacco whom he compares very favorably to in just about every aspect came in and threw for almost 3000 yards and 14 TD's. Same small school situation, same size/speed ratio and similar brain capacity (Wentz may be smarter).

I also don't have Wentz ahead of Daniels ... hell, we haven't had a pre-season snap yet. All I'm saying is that if Wentz "clearly" outplays Chase in pre-season, I wouldn't be scared to put him 2nd on the depth chart. The key word is "clearly" ... I think it's very beneficial if a rookie QB gets his feet wet prior to going into year 2 if possible. If Chase is as good as people seem to think then he should easily beat out Wentz for the #2 job anyway ... right?

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wentz would beat out the other 2, then they would have to trade SB for a pick by the trading deadline, otherwise, his value would go down even further if he sits for the year. Somehow, Howie needs to recoup a 1st round pick for the draft which we will host next year. Yikes! :gaah:

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is probably the best direction to go. You can only suite up 46 players on game day, no need to keep a 3rd QB active if not necessary. Have him redshirt till attrition at the position makes it necessary to have him active.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pedersen today apparently created an out for himself, saying that while "Sam's the guy" for week one, he could not predict the whole season.

So, I think he is leaving open the possibility of Wentz getting reps or even starting if the season goes down the drain--which is possible let's face it.

Frizzle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pedersen today apparently created an out for himself, saying that while "Sam's the guy" for week one, he could not predict the whole season.

So, I think he is leaving open the possibility of Wentz getting reps or even starting if the season goes down the drain--which is possible let's face it.

I watched a few videos posted on Twitter... Wentz looks like he wants the job in the videos... his body language is projecting all the right things... Sammy Sleeves still looks like a chump.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of us know Sammy sleeves is fool's gold at this point, but I don't mind him being a place holder for a year if that's the situation.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may want the job but the early practice reports are that Wentz is up and down, makes some great throws but is inconsistent and sometimes locks in to routes etc. He will need some time.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not advocating hurrying the process of getting Wentz in there ... but I don't think he's any more likely to get killed when getting in there than any other rookie QB. Joe Flacco whom he compares very favorably to in just about every aspect came in and threw for almost 3000 yards and 14 TD's. Same small school situation, same size/speed ratio and similar brain capacity (Wentz may be smarter).

The problem is he will develop wretched footwork if you throw him in there early and it's tough to unlearn that. Pederson has already said footwork is the number one thing he's working on. I'm not sure if Flacco had the same problem, but he wasn't playing in a WCO and he had a very good run game to lean on. Furthermore, Wentz better be better than Flacco in the end for all of this to have made any sense.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may want the job but the early practice reports are that Wentz is up and down, makes some great throws but is inconsistent and sometimes locks in to routes etc. He will need some time.

He's inconsistent because his feet and head aren't in sync. Which is super important and even more so in a WCO.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is he will develop wretched footwork if you throw him in there early and it's tough to unlearn that. Pederson has already said footwork is the number one thing he's working on. I'm not sure if Flacco had the same problem, but he wasn't playing in a WCO and he had a very good run game to lean on. Furthermore, Wentz better be better than Flacco in the end for all of this to have made any sense.

If he's not ready or doesn't look "a lot" better than Chase then I'm all for red-shirting him for the better part of the season. Again, I'm not saying force the guy in there before he's ready. My only point is that "if" his footwork, throws, decision making etc ... show that he is more capable of winning games than Chase ... then I wouldn't be afraid to name him the #2. That's all. Now is it "likely" that he beats out Chase? Probably not ... but then again, that's not my point.