• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carmen and Jurko: 45 minute sit-down with Phil Emery

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very interesting stuff. Obviously, he's playing a lot of things close to the chest, and a lot of answers are what you'd expect. What's cool (I thought) is hearing the general talk about how GM's view things like drafting certain positions, and what percentage of QB's pan out in each round. How they weigh position needs vs salary in free agency and the draft.

Just really thought this was a cool 45 minutes for any football fan.

Carmen & Jurko: Phil Emery - ESPN Chicago

C

cubzzzfanincali

to me, the most important piece of this was about Paea. I had not heard he got hurt like that. Did you guys hear that?

C

cubzzzfanincali

look, I like this interview, but he's going on and on about NFL QBs who can actually win games being like 26%, and he let Josh go. Fine, let him go, but his rhetoric is trying to have it both ways.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look, I like this interview, but he's going on and on about NFL QBs who can actually win games being like 26%, and he let Josh go. Fine, let him go, but his rhetoric is trying to have it both ways.

Meh… I mean. I understand where you're coming from, but Josh is a 16-22 lifetime QB. He went 3-2 against 5 non-playoff teams. (No, I do not consider the Seneca Wallace led Packers a playoff team). I think Phil's logic stands strong against that.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me, the most important piece of this was about Paea. I had not heard he got hurt like that. Did you guys hear that?

Yes, I found that interesting as well. I mean, I remember he had some nagging injuries at certain points, but I definitely never heard it discussed openly.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was dealing w/ turf toe all season , is what I had heard.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the interview , I loved it .

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how Emery said if you`re gonna find a good quality qb you gotta do it in the first 3 rounds.........

So whats he sayiong about Fales then?

he goes on to saying that the last 8 drafts no qb has made it from the 4th rd down.................But yet he past on the other two top qbs in the draft.

I guess he`s quietly saying fales was a wasted draft pick............

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And at the end he didn`t say anything positive about Shea,other than he`s a good qathlete and needs to find a place.

well Phil,this is the NFL and ALL players are good athletes.and you drafted him as a d-end and now you wanna move him to lb`er.........sounds to me he sucks.
Which i already knew.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I like how Emery said if you`re gonna find a good quality qb you gotta do it in the first 3 rounds.........

he goes on to saying that the last 8 drafts no qb has made it from the 4th rd down.................But yet he past on the other two top qbs in the draft.

yeah, that's what I mean. His actions don't really line up with what his words are. OK, I agree McCown was so-so, but at least he was a proven commodity. Worth the money, maybe not, but if Emery values what he brought so much, he didn't back that up. And then to basically say "yeah, well, first 3 rounds", but then draft a guy late, isn't that kind of like saying you knowingly are drafting someone who you don't even think will work out? Weird.

C

cubzzzfanincali

And at the end he didn`t say anything positive about Shea,other than he`s a good qathlete and needs to find a place.

well Phil,this is the NFL and ALL players are good athletes.and you drafted him as a d-end and now you wanna move him to lb`er.........sounds to me he sucks.
Which i already knew.

It would have been *really nice* if the interviewer asked him what I think is the obvious question about playing Shea at strongside LB. If Shea was not able to perform run defense with his hand on the ground, why on Earth does Emery think the same guy who is lighter and standing up will suddenly become stout at the point-of-attack? I would love to have had the interviewer ask him that. If there is literally one question I could ask Emery on any subject, that would probably be it, because I would love to hear his answer.

Shea makes way more sense as a MLB to me than strongside.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No… did you not listen to him speak just shortly after that? I'm guessing you skipped through a lot of the interview.

Carmen and Jurko asked him this exact question, and he responded simply by saying that he likes Fales as a guy who can bring camp competition and force Jordan Palmer to earn his backup job.

He said from the 4th round and on. QB's usually don't work out as STARTERS. He never said they couldn't make solid backups and develop.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, that's what I mean. His actions don't really line up with what his words are. OK, I agree McCown was so-so, but at least he was a proven commodity. Worth the money, maybe not, but if Emery values what he brought so much, he didn't back that up. And then to basically say "yeah, well, first 3 rounds", but then draft a guy late, isn't that kind of like saying you knowingly are drafting someone who you don't even think will work out? Weird.

Both of you guys should go back and listen to when he's asked about Fales. He explains this quite well.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No… did you not listen to him speak just shortly after that? I'm guessing you skipped through a lot of the interview.

Carmen and Jurko asked him this exact question, and he responded simply by saying that he likes Fales as a guy who can bring camp competition and force Jordan Palmer to earn his backup job.

He said from the 4th round and on. QB's usually don't work out as STARTERS. He never said they couldn't make solid backups and develop.

I tend agree Rich. They weren't looking for a starter, but a BU.
I think the rook gives Palmer a run for his money.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Direct quote from Phil Emery:

"So to get a quality quarterback, you’ve got to draft them high."

The pretty obvious implication here is that if you don't draft a QB high, then it isn't likely to be a quality
quarterback.

Here's another:

“Most of the starters in this league come from the first and second round. So that’s where you need to take a quarterback. So when you talk about quarterback every year, they have to be somebody that you truly believe will beat out the second and third quarterback that you perceive on your roster. And if not, history shows that you shouldn’t make that pick.”

Just sayin', he's saying. Just seems a little....ummm...I don't know. I get what you are saying, but if a backup isn't perceived as "quality", even if he is just a backup, then what is he?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Direct quote from Phil Emery:

"So to get a quality quarterback, you’ve got to draft them high."

The pretty obvious implication here is that if you don't draft a QB high, then it isn't likely to be a quality
quarterback.

Here's another:

“Most of the starters in this league come from the first and second round. So that’s where you need to take a quarterback. So when you talk about quarterback every year, they have to be somebody that you truly believe will beat out the second and third quarterback that you perceive on your roster. And if not, history shows that you shouldn’t make that pick.”

Just sayin', he's saying. Just seems a little....ummm...I don't know. I get what you are saying, but if a backup isn't perceived as "quality", even if he is just a backup, then what is he?

Fair enough. It's a little odd, I agree. I just think he probably liked Fales in college, and thought he'd be a good fit to give Palmer some competition for the backup job.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Fair enough. It's a little odd, I agree. I just think he probably liked Fales in college, and thought he'd be a good fit to give Palmer some competition for the backup job.

You know, I don't really disagree with you. I think Emery is being a tad harsh in his judgement of later round QBs. For one thing, they simply get fewer opportunities to play because they are drafted later, so in a way they are disadvantaged. If late round QBs got as many snaps as high rounders as consistently as high rounders are, would we have more Tom Bradys? I don't know, but we might.

But what's odd about it is that they are HIS words. Why would Emery essentially broadcast to his newly-drafted 6th rounder "hey, frankly dude, my philosophy says you aren't a quality QB?" I mean....seems like he would have been better off keeping his mouth shut. Right?

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think they were looking for BU QB. Not a starter. Fales fits the bill. GMs have to have some kind of smoke screen pre draft. For who they really want.
Fales doesn't have a big arm. But he was productive w/limited assets.
Just think T-man might be looking for the next Gannon.
Hopefully he finds him. And wins the big game this time.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. If there is literally one question I could ask Emery on any subject, that would probably be it,

I would ask him why in hell did we hire Mel Tucker???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????