• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Career Batting Records we may never see fall

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with runners on 1st and 3rd and no outs he hit into 16 in 110 Plate Appearances. But in that situation he also batted .518 with a 1.326 OPS with 78 RBI so I guess he did some damage.

I guess I was looking for in the16 times he GIDP, how many runs scored? In a tight game, just putting the ball in play is a positive

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of those little stats that I have to see if there is deeper research on.

#1 Batting average in a DP situation (runner on 1st, less than 2 outs
#2 Ground ball % with runners on base
#3 and probably the hardest to find. How many of those ground balls were give ups to score a runner from 3rd with no outs. How many RBIs did he give up? Situational baseball.

I don't know that making two outs just to get a single runner home from 3rd is even technically good "situational baseball" in the first place though, should he really get a pass for it? I don't have the expected runs numbers in front of me but I can take a look when I get a chance.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I was looking for in the16 times he GIDP, how many runs scored? In a tight game, just putting the ball in play is a positive

I think there are very few game situations where trading two outs to get a runner from 3rd to home is a "good" trade-off. And I suspect that in most of the instances where it is a good trade-off the infielders would actually come home with the ball and try to cut off the run anyway.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that making two outs just to get a single runner home from 3rd is even technically good "situational baseball" in the first place though, should he really get a pass for it? I don't have the expected runs numbers in front of me but I can take a look when I get a chance.

I have witnessed too many strikeouts in that situation. In tight ballgames where each run is meaningful, contact is the goal. Put the ball in play, preferably on the ground

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are very few game situations where trading two outs to get a runner from 3rd to home is a "good" trade-off. And I suspect that in most of the instances where it is a good trade-off the infielders would actually come home with the ball and try to cut off the run anyway.

That also has some truth to it, but then they very rarely will get a DP. It's what happened when he did GIDP I was interested in.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That also has some truth to it, but then they very rarely will get a DP. It's what happened when he did GIDP I was interested in.

It's just one of those situational things I've wondered about. Not a biggie.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have witnessed too many strikeouts in that situation. In tight ballgames where each run is meaningful, contact is the goal. Put the ball in play, preferably on the ground

I don't think that all of these variables come together for a specific player nearly as often as you seem to be implying. But yes, if you come up with men on 1st and 3rd late in a game with none out and needing just a single run I suppose that a 6-4-3 DP is not the worst result.

But as I said, in that type of situation the infielders don't turn the double play anyway, right? They try to cut off the run. So that's another reason it would seem unlikely that many of the DPs that he hit into match that kind of profile.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right but what I'm kinda saying is that if they bothered to turn the DP in first place doesn't that kind of imply that it was the type of situation where the DP was a "bad" result for the batter and not a positive one? So the DPs are likely to be in situations where any runs they produced were less meaningful/valuable anyway, no?

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right but what I'm kinda saying is that if they bothered to turn the DP in first place doesn't that kind of imply that it was the type of situation where the DP was a "bad" result for the batter and not a positive one? So the DPs are likely to be in situations where any runs they produced were less meaningful/valuable anyway, no?

I can buy that. It still interests me, though.

It's like positive outcomes situations. How many times do you see a batter not advance a runner on 2nd with no outside. It drives me crazy. But some are of the school that you never give up an out.

It's part of what makes the game what it is.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I mention that I hate strikeouts.

Nobody likes em :wink: But they are usually a trade-off, guys looking for pitches that they can do damage on tend to take borderline strikes and run deeper counts.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody likes em :wink: But they are usually a trade-off, guys looking for pitches that they can do damage on tend to take borderline strikes and run deeper counts.

I look for bases acquired vs outs. A groundouts to advance a runner is a neutral/plus outcome as it increase the scoring probabilities. Going 1st to 3rd on a hit is gaining a base for the runner . That level of baseball intrigues me.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's Ricky Henderson singles 100 times in a season and has 25 doubles. He steals 2nd base another 25 times. He is caught stealing 10 times.

The total outcome is 50 doubles and 65 singles. Total bases are increased although his OBP and batting average are
lower.

He will score more runs with a lower OBP because of run probability.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's Ricky Henderson singles 100 times in a season and has 25 doubles. He steals 2nd base another 25 times. He is caught stealing 10 times.

The total outcome is 50 doubles and 65 singles. Total bases are increased although his OBP and batting average are
lower.

He will score more runs with a lower OBP because of run probability.
A single plus a SB is nothing like a double cuz the latter has the potential to advance runners on base more.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A single plus a SB is nothing like a double cuz the latter has the potential to advance runners on base more.

That would have to be accounted for, sure. But his value is as a lead off hitter. It would take a deeper study than I have attempted to "prove" it.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would have to be accounted for, sure. But his value is as a lead off hitter. It would take a deeper study than I have attempted to "prove" it.

While the leadoff batter obviously leads off more than anyone Rickey still came up with men on base in over a third of his PAs. It's not huge but definitely has to be factored in.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look for bases acquired vs outs. A groundouts to advance a runner is a neutral/plus outcome as it increase the scoring probabilities. Going 1st to 3rd on a hit is gaining a base for the runner . That level of baseball intrigues me.

I can't remember if I've asked you this before but are you a Strat-O-Matic enthusiast?

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember if I've asked you this before but are you a Strat-O-Matic enthusiast?

Back in the day. I don't do as much FBB anymore but I used to set up custom league back a few years I like daily leagues and relievers that don't allow starts for them.

I have played StratOMatic since the 60s

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my pride and joys is scoresheets from 28 games from 1960 Milwaukee Braves that I kept while listening to the game.