• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Caponomics of the Foles - Bradford deal

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess the Browns are in the market for a QB man I hope Mariota falls to us

Despite coming off back-to-back ACL tears, there was a multi-team market for Bradford's services. The Philadelphia Inquirer is somewhat noncommittal, but tentatively expects the Eagles to keep Bradford and start him in 2015, as opposed to using Bradford as a trade chip to move up and draft Marcus Mariota. We'll believe Bradford is staying in Philly if the sides strike a restructured contract. Bradford's 2015 base salary of $12.985 million is entirely unreasonable for a player of his injury-riddled and largely ineffective pedigree.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Foles and Bradford are on the last years of their deals. But Foles's cap number this year is $1.5M of non-guaranteed base salary whereas Bradford's is a whopping $13M. :omg:

What's Chippy going to do with that bloated contract? He could keep him on the roster for this year, but his bloated figure means that the Eagles can't use that amount of cap space to sign other free agents. Of course, Chippy could reduce that number by extending Bradford and converting that salary into signing bonus money. But if they do, they'd be stuck with him for future years. That's because if they cut him after restructuring him, they'd have a lot in dead money.

Aside from the cap issues, Chippy has potentially run himself into a quandary. If he wants Mariota, he's now got Bradford and Butt Fumble (and Matt Barkley). If he doesn't make any other QB moves, selecting a starter from that troika of stiffs is laughable. On the flip side, if he wants Mariota, is he really going to keep Bradford and Butt Fumble on the roster. If he had to part ways with someone, it would be Bradford since he could dump him with no dead money. But it that's the case, why did he make this trade in the first place? Foles is clearly better than Foles and/or has more upside. And if he really wants to trade to get Mariota, he's still stuck with the 20th overall pick. Which really makes this a major headscratcher.

Last edited:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only conclusion I can make is Chip is new to the NFL GM role and thought it worked like the NBA and a big expiring contract was a good thing to have.

That's all I got.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly is either a genius or a moron. We will know in about 10 months.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could be thinking that he can trade Bradford as part of a trade up. The issue however is uf he can't, he's stuck with those two. And if he's shipping one out, the only teams that need a QB are (maybe) Tennessee and the Jets. Do either really want Bradford?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could be thinking that he can trade Bradford as part of a trade up. The issue however is uf he can't, he's stuck with those two. And if he's shipping one out, the only teams that need a QB are (maybe) Tennessee and the Jets. Do either really want Bradford?
Who is going to trade for Bradford with that contact hit for this year,,?

bworku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If they wanted to use a QB to trade up why not just use Foles instead of trading for Bradford? If this is the case he must already know someone ahead of him that wants Bradford, but I doubt it. I think its ridiculous that in the QB swap Philly GAVE more pick-wise to St Louis than they received.

I think Bradford is in his starter. Nothing else makes sense!

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think chip wants MM, which is why I think it would be hilarious if the titans just went and drafted him, fucking up chips master plan

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah at first I thought Bradford was the bait to move up. Now not so much. You don't make a trade like this unless you have a deal in place to trade him for a higher pick.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think chip wants MM, which is why I think it would be hilarious if the titans just went and drafted him, fucking up chips master plan

Chip Kelly says Philadelphia Eagles won't 'mortgage our future' in trade for Marcus Mariota - ESPN

Based on this latest report I kind of doubt it. Sure - Kelly could be lying, but I have a tendency to think that he is being relatively honest with his take that he doesn't want to make an RG3 type trade. I honestly don't think that most (if not all) NFL teams want to make this type of trade especially given the current status of RG3 (which could happen to any QB prospect regardless of how highly regarded they are coming out of school).

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip Kelly says Philadelphia Eagles won't 'mortgage our future' in trade for Marcus Mariota - ESPN

Based on this latest report I kind of doubt it. Sure - Kelly could be lying, but I have a tendency to think that he is being relatively honest with his take that he doesn't want to make an RG3 type trade. I honestly don't think that most (if not all) NFL teams want to make this type of trade especially given the current status of RG3 (which could happen to any QB prospect regardless of how highly regarded they are coming out of school).

Well in the same interview he said he has already been offered a 1st for bradford.....That is a LIE!!! No way anyone offered a 1st for him..........

Unless Chip is unaware that the CFL 1st round pick means nothing in the NFL!!!!!

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in the same interview he said he has already been offered a 1st for bradford.....That is a LIE!!! No way anyone offered a 1st for him..........

Unless Chip is unaware that the CFL 1st round pick means nothing in the NFL!!!!!

Well that is true. I guess that my main pt is that I believe people are way off base in thinking that the Eagles (or anyone) will offer an RG3 like trade (or better) for Mariota. I can't believe that people just ignore RG3's performance over the last few years & don't think that pro personnel people wouldn't be very skeptical for this type of trade unless the potential QB was the next Andrew Luck (which has not happened since Luck & may not for another 10 years).

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit. If he was offered a first, bradford would already be gone.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a lying sack of shit this guy is. Why he needs to do this to save face would be very concerning if I were an Eagles fan.