• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your criteria for judging the success or failure of (Pace's pick of) Trubisky

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This came up in another thread. I think it's deserving of it's own.

What are you expecting Trubisky to be when it's all said and done? What's your criteria for judging whether the kid is a good enough quarterback, and along with that, judging Pace's success or failure of the pick?

Is it fair to say that by the end of year 2 starting, we should have a really good idea of what he is and what he will be in the NFL? I'm thinking about other QBs. Goff and Wentz are entering their 3rd years. They've both started from the jump, just with Wentz missing some games here thanks to the torn ACL. Is it fair to say these guys are who they are, and we can safely project Goff to be a good but not spectacular QB in the league while Wentz is a stud?

Go back another year and you have Winston/Mariota, both of which aren't looking all too hot, with Fitzpatrick likely to take Winston's job and Mariota struggling to realize his potential thanks in part to injuries. Is it fair to say these guys are what they are?

Personally, i think it pretty much is, for Winston and Mariota anyway. 3 full years under their belt. I'm not as comfortable with making a final judgement on Goff/Wentz but not too far away. So my own criteria for judging Trubisky and projecting what we can reasonably expect him to be for his career can be determined about the end of year 3 starting. Meaning, he's got this year and next to put as much of it together as possible before you can pretty much say "this is who he is." Obviously we're not there yet.

But by the end of next year, if you agree that's a reasonable time to make an assessment, where does he need to be to consider him a good/bad pick? On what kind of level? Does he need to be as good as Aaron Rodgers? Philip Rivers? Ben Roethlisberger? Matt Ryan? Derek Carr? Alex Smith? ..for you to say "good pick Pace, we can win with this guy" or "Pace messed up that pick."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trubs is young and learning a complicated system with the whole offense learning a new system with a new blocking scheme to boot. 2 games in and some want to jump ship. lol I'll wait for the light to come on. By week 12 Trubs and the offense will be a weapon of mass destruction or a offensive mack either way you like it. All Trubs has to be is fair and not cost us games right now. I expect much more later. To answer the OP question ---- There is no clear answer. If the Bears are good and Trubs is decent then I'm happy with the pick. If the Bears suck and Trubs is great I'm not happy. I don't care if he was the No.2 pick, it's a crap shoot no matter where you pick. I was/am stoked Pace picked his choice and went hard for him. Right or wrong I am glad were swinging at the ball.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 years is typically the benchmark for QB's. Where you go "okay, this is what we have". At that point - it'd be 44 games for Trub *KNOCK ON WOOD FOR HEALTH*. Two seasons in Nagy's offense. That's where I think you can really give an honest, full assessment.

Success is relative and means different things to different organizations. He doesn't have to be an elite QB. However, he does have to be good and we need to see some post-season success. If you can perennially finish inside of the top 10 for a good chunk of passing statistics and win in the post-season. You did your job as a GM finding a QB, IMO.