• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cap will be higher than $132 million

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap will be higher than $132 million

Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
cash-money-pile-stack-550x556
Reuters
Back when the owners were told that the salary cap would climb from $123 million in 2013 to $126.3 million in 2014, a source with knowledge of the cap calculation said it will be higher.

Now that reports have put the salary cap as high as $132 million for 2014, the same source has said, once again, it will be higher.

Per the source, the cap could be a “few million” higher than $132 million. If this means $3 million more than reported, the cap could be as high as $135 million. That would amount to an 9.75 percent increase over last year, the biggest spike by far since the 2011 labor deal was negotiated.

It’s unknown whether the increase in the cap, which is based on revenues but inevitably is negotiated by the NFL and the NFLPA, will result from efforts to borrow against future cap increases. In past years, the quid pro quo for an increase in the cap has included an agreement by the NFLPA to permit cap penalties to be imposed on the Cowboys and Redskins for treating the uncapped year of 2010 too literally.

A cynic may wonder whether the spike in the cap for 2014 is aimed at helping NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith fend off a 2015 challenge from Sean Gilbert or, possibly, Hall of Famer Derrick Brooks.

Regardless, the cap could be increasing by similar amounts in the future. Per the source, the 2014 bump is expected to become the trend in future years.

The 2014 cap number just continues to increase every couple of days. Say goodbye to the last two stagnant years of the salary cap.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top salaries at positions are going to go crazy. Some of these quarterback contracts won't look so bad here in a couple of years when guys like Russell Wilson and Luck are pushing for $25-30 million per year or guys like Richard Sherman are making $20 million a year.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top salaries at positions are going to go crazy. Some of these quarterback contracts won't look so bad here in a couple of years when guys like Russell Wilson and Luck are pushing for $25-30 million per year or guys like Richard Sherman are making $20 million a year.

That's what I said all along about Flacco's contract. Look at how many QBs are already ahead of him now.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I said all along about Flacco's contract. Look at how many QBs are already ahead of him now.

All those excited about all the new Cap Space and how it is dramatically going to help their team are really getting ahead of themselves. The teams this helps are those that have their key players locked up the last year or two because the price is only going to go up big time from here for top tier players. I can't imagine what Seattle is going to have to pay for Sherman, Wilson, and Thomas plus their other star players.

People seem to forget that Salaries for players do not remain the same when the Cap goes up. This is just like those going crazy for a huge bump in minimum raise. Sounds great on paper but it also means the cost of everything else in the country just went up. The value of the dollar will just drop to even it out. So again players that under the Cap right now that would make say $10 million a year will just make $12-15 million now. Kind of how it goes in sports and in life.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Talent-wise... They have been all along :whistle:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think your going to see that big a bump. Wilson and Luck at 25-30 a year? Good God I hope not. I would think more in the 15 million range. I'm really sure that Sherman isn't going to be making $20 million per year. That's just not going to happen.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think your going to see that big a bump. Wilson and Luck at 25-30 a year? Good God I hope not. I would think more in the 15 million range. I'm really sure that Sherman isn't going to be making $20 million per year. That's just not going to happen.

Guys like Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, and Joe Flacco are already making $20 million a year and that was before this big Cap Raise plus it is supposed to go up again next year by quite a bit. You really think Luck and Wilson will take $15 million a year when those guys are making that much? Come on...They at least will be making $20 million and probably more as they are the young guys with talent and Wilson already has the Super Bowl ring.

Sherman will want to be recognized as the top corner in the NFL. The top guy is already making $15 million so that has to be the starting point plus then inflation for how much the Cap is going up. Maybe not $20 million but definitely above $15 million.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the downside of what happened to you guys. You have so much young talent in that first contract and you wont be able to keep them all. Now that they've got a ring, it's all about the money.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, and Joe Flacco are already making $20 million a year and that was before this big Cap Raise plus it is supposed to go up again next year by quite a bit. You really think Luck and Wilson will take $15 million a year when those guys are making that much? Come on...They at least will be making $20 million and probably more as they are the young guys with talent and Wilson already has the Super Bowl ring.

Sherman will want to be recognized as the top corner in the NFL. The top guy is already making $15 million so that has to be the starting point plus then inflation for how much the Cap is going up. Maybe not $20 million but definitely above $15 million.

You mention many QBs making big bucks, but were they making that kind of money after 3 years? To lazy to look it up, but I'm confident the answer is no.

As far as the top contract for a CB, that's Reevis at $16,000,000 and it's not guarantee, not one penny. Sherman will sign for less then $15,000,000, I'm sure of that.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson would easily go over $20mil per on the market. Excessive IMO but it doesn't matter. If cutler can get $18 per, with serious increase in the cap Wilson can easily command $20. That may even end up being a discount to you guys relative to the open market.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson would easily go over $20mil per on the market. Excessive IMO but it doesn't matter. If cutler can get $18 per, with serious increase in the cap Wilson can easily command $20. That may even end up being a discount to you guys relative to the open market.

Well cdumler7, you got JDM agreeing with you. See how over the top your prediction was.:lol:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I'm right. Like usual :thumb:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it would be close. It was.

I wasn't sure they could completely carry him, but they proved me wrong. Peyton choked harder than anyone ever has on that stage, but they won that game even if he didn't.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmm I find it amusing that your saying Wilson will reap 20-25 million on his next contract given what you had to say about him at the start of the season. Over the top on both counts.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion on him still stands. It just doesn't matter. Tony Romo sucks. Jay Cutler sucks. They still got paid because teams are stupid. QBs get overpaid like crazy, all the time. Why would Wilson be different, especially with a Super Bowl under his belt?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If cutler got 18 when the cap was projected to be flat, and the cap is now being projected to climb significantly over the next few years, there's no reason a better QB can't make a good bit more.

What it comes down to is what he wants. He doesn't have to go monster contract, but if he demands it it will likely happen.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On what? He could very well decide to take a contract below market value. That doesn't mean he couldn't easily get 20 mil per tomorrow if he were free to find a contract.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying he signs in the 15 million dollar range. Now if you disagree, lets do another wager.