• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can we finally let go of the Lovie Smith Era?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello Chicago Bears Brethren!!

Lovie Smith had 9 seasons in Chicago. He had a Super Bowl Appearance, and a couple of NFC Championship games. He created a strong defensive team throughout much of his time in Chicago, behind such stars as Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, and Peanut Tillman...among others.
When Smith was hired he famously gave his priorities:
1. Beat the Green Bay Packers (8-11)
2. Win the NFC North (3 of 9 tries)
3. Win a Super Bowl (Zero)

In Lovie's 9 seasons- HE ONLY MADE the PLAYOFFS 3 times! Let repeat that: 3 out of 9 years!!

I supported Lovie when he went to the playoffs twice in his first 3 seasons. I supported the decision to give the lowest paid coach a raise after the superbowl appearance.
I also supported the decision to move on. His one playoff appearance in his final 6 seasons just wasn't good enough. His lack of In Game decisions, challenge record, and revolving door of coordinators is what doomed him in Chicago.
4 OC's in 9 seasons: Terry Shea, Ron Turner, Mike Martz, Mike Tice
4 DC's in 9 seasons: Ron Rivera, Bob Babich, Lovie Smith, Rod Marinelli

I also remember his last two seasons of radio callers and billboard space purchasers who screamed and yelled for his head. The resounding noise was that Chicago respected his past, but was fed up with the lack of results. The lack of offense and an soon to be aging defense that was becoming obsolete. (Only Tillman and Briggs remain from the dominating Chicago D of 2005-06) People consistently complained about his shortness with the media and his "better then you" attitude to fans. His "Us against the world" mantra became stale quickly and his lack of results didn't win him the benefit of the doubt it had in years past.

Lovie is gone. It's time we move on. I'm thankful that Trestman and Emery are running the show. Will they bring the success we all want? Only time will tell, what I do know is that Lovie Smith had his time and it's over now.
GO BEARS!!

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was over him the day after he was let go. A decent head coach who's ego got the best of him where the offense was concerned. Bringing in Mike Tice to be the OC was a big mistake and probably the final nail in the coffin because with the weapons they had on offense he brings in a first time OC THAT WAS BIG ON RUNNING WHEN THE LEAGUE WAS CHANGING TOWARDS THE PASS. Time to move on.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I didn't think Lovie should have been fired, but whatever, he's gone and there's nothing I as a fan can do about it. Yes I have let him go, just as I let other great Bears go. Did not everyone on here seeing me going all out all offseason to cut Peppers? I loved him, but face it, the NFL is a what have you done for me lately game, and no one shows any attachments to anyone beyond their worth. I love that.

That being said, Lovie had good years here, and I honor him as a very good coach, and like any human wish him well (when he is not playing us). He's a great defensive mind, and that was reflected in many great defenses over the years. He had his shortcomings, but the veterans on the team fought for him for good reason.

So yeah I am "over" him, but you should never forget football's basic history, however that went.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL…

Dice is back, boys.

Let's get hammered.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really dont think it ends til the last d men are gone, Tillman and Briggs and he will keep being mentioned because they keep running his tampa 2.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have let go. I still think we made a huge mistake tho.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have let go. I still think we made a huge mistake tho.

Just think It wasn't as big a mistake as Lovie made by making Mike Tice his OC. If he would have set aside his ego and got someone who actually know what to do with offensive weapons he may still be coach of the Bears

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think It wasn't as big a mistake as Lovie made by making Mike Tice his OC. If he would have set aside his ego and got someone who actually know what to do with offensive weapons he may still be coach of the Bears

And if we remember correctly- It was widely reported at the time that OC's didn't want to come here for fear that it would be a ONE year job with Lovie on the chopping block. Which made sense at the time.
There were reports that Lovie was talking to a few guys on hot lists, but they refused to even interview.

C

cubzzzfanincali

And if we remember correctly- It was widely reported at the time that OC's didn't want to come here for fear that it would be a ONE year job with Lovie on the chopping block. Which made sense at the time.
There were reports that Lovie was talking to a few guys on hot lists, but they refused to even interview.

who cares. Now that I think about it, the whole subject is gay.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No OC would come here because of the lack of talent to work with. That was because of JA. Tman himself was offered the job and said no. Lovie asked many OCs and then got stuck with Tice. Everyone knows this.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who cares. Now that I think about it, the whole subject is gay.

Football talk on a football board. It,s not gay. It is old tho. Time to move on. Who gets to a SB first? us or TB. Either way I respect both Lovie and Tdog and wish both luck. Lovie as HC with Rod as DC and Tman as OC with Emory and that would have been epic.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved his demeanor, his defensive philosophy, and his player selections. Dude just surrounded himself with bad coaches. I suppose Angelo should share some of the blame for that. Oh well, he's gone, let's move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved his demeanor, his defensive philosophy, and his player selections. Dude just surrounded himself with bad coaches. I suppose Angelo should share some of the blame for that. Oh well, he's gone, let's move on.
defensive players were decent. Offensive players mostly not so decent