• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can somebody explain the interest in Fleener to me?

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't get it, we have Vernon Davis who with the right QB could be the best TE in the league, and Delanie who could easily start on like 20-25 other teams. Using a first rounder on him just doesn't make sense to me. That's like if we drafted another MLB. I'm not too worried about them actually drafting them because let's face it, since Trent has been here, nobody has really picked his 1st rounders right anyway. But I don't see why some Niner fans want him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
delanie is undersized. harbaugh uses double TE sets so if we drafted fleener he would eventually be a starter along with vernon.

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You can use 3 TE sets. The opposing team can't be certain of proper personnel because the 49ers could split any one of them or even all three wide.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the OP as it pertains to Niner fan interest as I see it:

1. Stanford
2. What NE has done in the last two years
3. He is really good

In that order.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To answer the OP as it pertains to Niner fan interest as I see it:

1. Stanford
2. What NE has done in the last two years
3. He is really good

In that order.

But we have 2 already. Let's not forget, just because he's good in college doesn't mean that translates. We've already got a good number 2. And in terms of a 3 TE formation, that sounds to Maddeny for me. I mean it would be awesome 3 and 1 plays and goal line where they all could block or catch but that seems too high a price with a first rounder for a certain situation TE. I'm all for BPA but not when we're already stacked at the position.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we have 2 already. Let's not forget, just because he's good in college doesn't mean that translates. We've already got a good number 2. And in terms of a 3 TE formation, that sounds to Maddeny for me. I mean it would be awesome 3 and 1 plays and goal line where they all could block or catch but that seems too high a price with a first rounder for a certain situation TE. I'm all for BPA but not when we're already stacked at the position.

Copycat league. You're going to see at least four teams trying to emulate New England's TE-crazy offense this season. Until defenses adjust, that's going to be a trend. In order for defenses to adjust, either Safeties are going to have to get bigger and cover better, or Linebackers are going to have to get faster and cover better.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You asked why some Niner fans are interested, and I'm telling you why imo. I never said whether they had a leg to stand on or not. :bounce:

Anyway, I should have included a forth point to be fair, so the breakdown as I see it is:

1. Stanford
2. What NE has done in the last 2 years
3. The kid is really good
4. He's expected to come off the board around the time SF picks

In that order.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker is undersized for a TE. If Fleener is the BPA at #30, then I wouldn't mind the pick.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. He is good
2. He is familiar with stanford/harbaugh
3. We use multiple TE formations in this offense
4. Delaine will proabably bolt after this year for a starting gig somewhere else.
5. Him and VD would be deadly
6. last but not least: :llama:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. He is good
2. He is familiar with stanford/harbaugh
3. We use multiple TE formations in this offense
4. Delaine will proabably bolt after this year for a starting gig somewhere else.
5. Him and VD would be deadly
6. last but not least: :llama:

This

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have one great TE and one good one. I don't see any way we draft Fleener. Don't worry. There are guys like this every year before the draft that we show "interest" in but we don't pick. There are alot of smoke screens an such.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've secretly liked the idea of it for a while, I know it's not a NEED, but I really do like the mismatches we could create. if there isn't a better WR available I'd strongly consider it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't get it, we have Vernon Davis who with the right QB could be the best TE in the league, and Delanie who could easily start on like 20-25 other teams.

Walker could not start on any team unless they had a really bad TE. Walker is not starting material.

I'm a huge fan of drafting Dwaaaaaaaaayne Allen in the 2nd round if he's there though. Best blocking TE of the top guys by far, and a good receiver.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'm not pushing to draft a TE but if Fleener is the clear BPA, do it.

an "eye on need" is fine and for the moment, yes we're solid at TE. but these players are drafted for the 'long haul', not just THIS season. things change quickly in the NFL so who knows come next season? who knows come the year after?

i read Fleener is more like a WR than a TE? if so, we can certainly use this type of weapon.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just think of it like you are adding Jimmy Graham clone to your team.
You don't think the 49ers have room for a Jimmy Graham clone on the team?

We also don't have a jump ball receiver type. Vernon's Catch III was a short slant where he ran over the safety. We need a jump ball guy.

With Fleener we'd have 2 jump ball guys. Him and Moss.

Fleener is actually the guy I want at #30. If he's not available at 30, I would be even willing to move up to get him.

RG can we pick up in later rounds. Same as WR. Fleener is special.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fleener is not a Jimmy Graham clone. I don't even think it's all that close.