• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can anyone give me NFL topics to use for a hypothesis?

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Psych 201 project. Also, I don't know how to pen it. As in, do I write a short story, a blog, or a essay?

RavensNation2158

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Psych 201 project. Also, I don't know how to pen it. As in, do I write a short story, a blog, or a essay?

How about do a story about how the Saints bounced back after Hurricane Katrina and went on to have the best season they've ever had up to that point? From a psych point of view, you could maybe look at it from how people overcome adversity, get motivated by tragedy, rally together, etc.?

Last edited:

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady Cheated: a history of the New England Patriots, 2001 to present.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a psych one years ago on the use of sports psychologists, but mostly centered that one around NHL goalies.

Maybe do one on young people and influxes of money and their lack of financial planning (my career will go on forever and 5 years later they are broke).

Or possibly something about the psychology of a WR going over the middle in today's game, vs. years ago. How we don't see "alligator arms" nearly as much, how the lack of being able to give a devastating hit on a slant has opened up that area of the field and blown up the quick horizontal passing game?

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neat. I did a science fair project back in 11th grade on whether Ray Guy could have cheated using footballs filled with helium rather than air. Got 3rd place in regional. (btw, he could not. No mathematically significant difference in the hang time or distance).

As far as a psych topic goes, I have always been interested in whether "momentum" was really a thing in football. I think it would be hard to prove one way or another in a game, but you often hear coaches say they want to win the last game of the season, even if the playoffs are not longer a possibility to "go out on a high note and carry that momentum into next year". You could compare the win/loss records of teams that win their last game to their win/loss records the next season and see if there is any weight to that claim, and if so/not, discuss the mental reasons why.

And if you do that, let me know the results! I am interested, just too lazy to do the work myself.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would probably investigate hazing rituals for this class if anything if I were to insist on doing an NFL related topic. Probably just my bias showing.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. . .that was fucking solid. Cheers to you sir. Cheers to you.

From his Wikipedia page:

"Prior to entering the NFL, Davenport allegedly broke into the dorm room of a Barry University woman and defecated in a laundry basket on April 1, 2002.[6] A woman sleeping in the room told police she was startled by a strange grunting sound and observed Davenport in a squatted position, voiding in her closet.[7][8] In a plea bargain, his felony charge of second-degree burglary and misdemeanor count of criminal mischief were dropped in exchange for his completing 100 hours of community service.[9] Davenport maintained his innocence after the hearing, demanding outside of the courthouse, "Where's the evidence? Where's the manure? I know I didn't do it – I just wanted to get it over with."[10]

During his career, Davenport was given the nicknames "Dookie"[11] and "The Dump Truck."[12] While playing for the Packers, a portable commode was placed inside of his locker during training camp as a rookie hazing prank,[13] and a letter writing campaign to the Green Bay team equipment manager jokingly asked that he be issued jersey Number Two for practice,[14] which is still referenced during the opening of the "D-List" show on WAUK ESPN 540 in Milwaukee.[15] All are plays on the incident."

It's just so god damn amazing.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neat. I did a science fair project back in 11th grade on whether Ray Guy could have cheated using footballs filled with helium rather than air. Got 3rd place in regional. (btw, he could not. No mathematically significant difference in the hang time or distance).

As far as a psych topic goes, I have always been interested in whether "momentum" was really a thing in football. I think it would be hard to prove one way or another in a game, but you often hear coaches say they want to win the last game of the season, even if the playoffs are not longer a possibility to "go out on a high note and carry that momentum into next year". You could compare the win/loss records of teams that win their last game to their win/loss records the next season and see if there is any weight to that claim, and if so/not, discuss the mental reasons why.

And if you do that, let me know the results! I am interested, just too lazy to do the work myself.

That sounds like a cool idea there. pro-football-reference has some great sorting methods you could probably find for that.

Team Game Finder Query Results | Pro-Football-Reference.com

For example there's a list of all the teams final week of the regular season results that made the post-season. Could even break it down by records over the last 4 games or something. Then compare records to records...

ie. 10-6 playoff teams that won their final game won 55% of their playoff games and 10-6 teams that lost their final game only won 45% of the time or whatever it comes out to.

Could also break it down as you say with non-playoff teams and what happened the following season.

Or could do something on prime time/MNF games and if winning those has any carry over effect.

Or one on Thurs night games (fewer to look at so would be tougher to get a reliable trend).

RavensNation2158

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang... Look at all the geniuses on the Hoop.
Great ideas, guys. :) :suds:

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang... Look at all the geniuses on the Hoop.
Great ideas, guys. :) :suds:
I was told I was a genius based off a formal *chuckles* IQ test.

Don't be fooled. I am a fucking moron who cuts fish for a living!

I'm good at multiple choice though!

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get your answers. I am not doing essay. A hypthesis is a question you know an answer to but can be tested. Then you do your analysis and come to a conclusion.