• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Caldwell puts blame on players. Defends Lombardi.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The disconnect between fans, players and coaches continues. Today during his weekly presser, HC Jim Caldwell repeatedly stressed that the problem is lack of execution from the players. He relentlessly defended Lombardi, the play calling, and shot down any talk of taking over play calling.

So there you have it.

Thoughts?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he will blame Lombardi when they are both in the unemployment line or will he say he failed as a coach. Caldwell is a deceent administrator but he is paid to be the coach not the GM. He is not a very good coach.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Na na na na say hey hey GOOOOOOOOOOOOOODBYE!

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know you have the wrong guy when the finger pointing starts.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually agree with him. I stand alone. They had an article a week or two ago on mlive that broke down some drives of the Lions and EVERY single time they were driving, something went wrong. Penalties, missed throws, missed blocks, etc.

This is what I see when I watch. How can anyone tell that its the plays when the team doesn't execute what is called?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The disconnect between fans, players and coaches continues. Today during his weekly presser, HC Jim Caldwell repeatedly stressed that the problem is lack of execution from the players. He relentlessly defended Lombardi, the play calling, and shot down any talk of taking over play calling.

So there you have it.

Thoughts?
The buck stops with Caldwell.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I see when I watch. How can anyone tell that its the plays when the team doesn't execute what is called?

It's Caldwell's job to get the players in a position to execute. Players also want to "play for the coach", don't seem like the players are buying into Lombardi's or Caldwell's ideas.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caldwell needs to go. He is the NFL version of Brady Hoke. Nice guy but doesn't have a frickin' clue as a head coach.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Bear fan, and after watching an awful coaching staff last year, and with basically a lot of the same talent this year, coaching can make a big difference. Even in our losses I can see the difference in the Bears and their play. It is hard to imagine a coach throwing players as a whole under the bus like this. Usually, a coach says something like, " I need to coach better". Good luck Sunday.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So there you have it.

Thoughts?

Here is the question to be answered. How do the players respond?

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The defense will probably respond and give us a shot to win. The offens has not responded all year. If they do respond, someone let me know. I will get a cake.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually agree with him. I stand alone. They had an article a week or two ago on mlive that broke down some drives of the Lions and EVERY single time they were driving, something went wrong. Penalties, missed throws, missed blocks, etc.

I feel it's a mixture of both. They're not executing and that's obvious. I just can't put everything on the players. IMO the staff is to blame for their preparation they want executed. It's as if they can't exploit any weaknesses. We have seen small samples of plays that have worked and you never see them again later. As I've said with Tate, Lombardi has not really tried to call plays that put him in space. Yet for some reason he could last year, all year.

Yao, when I read your statement I could agree if your talking about 3 and outs. In order to have a drive and have the ball moving the players are executing.

Joe is very predictable and I feel it's hard to execute at times when a team knows what's coming.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When the other teams call out the plays. When they only run 6 times in quarter but pass 18. When they run 7 step drops when the pass pro isnt and hasnt been there. The playcalling is so predictable. They bring in a tight and an fullback to run, then they go back to 3wr's to pass. Its godawful...what are you watching?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably the same way they have been. Negatively. Stafford will throw his hands up after every play, frustrated. Bears W.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the other teams call out the plays. When they only run 6 times in quarter but pass 18. When they run 7 step drops when the pass pro isnt and hasnt been there. The playcalling is so predictable. They bring in a tight and an fullback to run, then they go back to 3wr's to pass. Its godawful...what are you watching?

Don't forget the plays with routes where all the WRs end up in the same place. When you only need 2 guys to defend 4 WRs in the secondary, it is pretty easy to pass rush with 7 or 8.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, when you're a good team and you execute, it doesn't matter if the other team has an idea of what's coming. Am I wrong?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predictability usually comes when teams let the other teams dictate what they're doing. If you gain positive yardage consistently, its hard for any defense to know what's coming. This is where the Lions get in trouble. They get one yard on first down so the other team knows its a pass coming next. Then, they are usually stuck in a 3rd and long.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, when you're a good team and you execute, it doesn't matter if the other team has an idea of what's coming. Am I wrong?

Glad to see you Lionstop1

please stay around or at least check in more often

we miss your input and out of the box and forward thinking.

there's other posts in here in the positive for wishing you'd be around more often.

BTW, I do agree with your assessment about blame should be passed around to all players and not only Lombardi or the majority on Lombardi.

also to note OL coach Jeremiah Washburn should shoulder some of the blame as well as it's his job to coach these guys up on their assignments. furthermore, all fans should try to comprehend the fact that chemistry, continuity and cohesion can and does change yearly or even weekly (injuries on the weekly affect mostly).